Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for custom wheels for the solstice. Very poor selection any suggestions or pictures would be appreciated. There are a lot of photos of wheels on the internet but most of them are outdated or do not fit.
Thanks

·
Registered
08 Sky Redline, 5M
192 Posts
If you want "made to order" custom wheels, the world is your oyster. If you want "off the shelf", selection is more limited of course. FWIW, I got a set of really nice BCForged wheels custom made (for racing, 18x11). Super light, not cheap.

·
Registered
223 Posts
The problem is our weird bolt pattern and offset. Search using rim size. Fine out which ones will fit. Most likely you won't find any off the shelf with the exact same specs. The rims I got stick out quite a bit farther than stock and I'm sure they throw a lot more debris up the side of the car. I think I got about the least amount of offset you can run with an 18x8 rim at only 35 mm of offset.

What kind of wheels are you looking for? Chrome, black, polished? 5 spoke, 6 spoke, 10 spoke, mesh?

You might want to look for blanks and have them drilled for our bolt pattern. I almost went that route.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Mine was a two year battle. Not sure if you're the one that asked me once before about it. I didn't like chrome and black wheels where the chrome and black were together...looked too truck-e. I didn't want 100% chrome because aftermarket chrome sucks...plain and simple. They'll last you 3-5 years, IF you take care of them properly. And by properly, if your car is stored for the winters, you have to put chrome polish on them and leave it on them. You must make sure that brake dust doesn't sit too long..they're a nightmare!! So that meant with fit, no chrome/black combo, no chrome, and no spoke, and what I wanted (I really didn't want black, but was actually leaning that way) that meant my wheel selection was less then 1% of what was out there. I was so desperate after 2 years of searching I emailed AXE wheels directly in Austria and asked how much for custom drilled rims. They replied $25/wheel, but would take 8-12 months for shipping if I didn't want to pay $1000+ in shipping fees. So I looked for others. I found TSW Snetertons that I liked and had placed a call to Custom Offsets to order a set. I explained that I had been looking for 2 years and that these were actually a far off 2nd choice, but couldn't find anything nearly as much as my AXE wheels. He asked to put me on hold and came back on and said he had a blank set he could custom drill for me, but I'd be stuck with them if they didn't fit. I took the chance and they fit perfectly.

If it helps, I'm running 5x110, 19"x8.5", +40mm offset.

Some pointers in looking for wheels.

• Make 100% sure there will be enough clearance between the back of the wheel and the front brake caliper (mine has about 5-8mm).
  • Make sure to get hubcentric adapters as NO aftermarket wheel will be cut for our hubs. IMSMC, they're 62.3mm (search the forum, its here somewhere!!)
  • Make sure if you go anymore then +40mm that the wheel won't hit your fender when the suspension is fully compressed. (I don't have much clearance...maybe a few mm)
  • Make sure the tire won't rub on the rear shock in a high speed corner
  • There is a useless shaft that sticks out of the center of the rear hubs by 1.75"+...you can shave as much of that off as you need. I shaved mine almost 3/8" to fit my centercaps.
  • If you have your wheels custom drilled, make 100% sure that the lug holes are centered where they are supposed to be....many wheels will crack if they aren't. And if they aren't when you receive them, immediately call your vendor and ask them if they will warranty any cracks or failures should it happen, and if not, if they'll redrill a new wheel for you. I have it in writing from AXE and Custom Offsets that they will not crack or break and if they do, they will replace them for me free of charge.

·
Registered
2006 NA Deep 99.9% Stock
116 Posts
I looked for a long time because 1) I don't really like the stock Solstice wheel to begin with and 2) the wheels that came with my 2.4 were not in great shape.

As others have said, very difficult to find anything "off the shelf," especially because of the 55mm offset. And I didn't want to get into trying to modify the wheels (spacers, longer lug nuts, etc.).

Here's my suggestion: There are Sky wheels which are very nice and also the Solstice "Street Edition" wheels. If you can find either of these (the Street Edition will be particularly difficult to find), then you have the convenience that they are direct replacements with no modifications required. I just got the Sky wheels last month on ebay of all places. These are brand new factory wheels, not reconditioned.

·
Premium Member
2009 Solstice Coupe # 171, 2.4 NA 5 speed manual
66 Posts
I too like the look of the Sky wheels on my Solstice. I originally bought these as winter wheels for my 07 Sly but use them as my summer wheels now on my coupe. I also found the "take-offs" on ebay. I like the contrast of the sharp edges of the wheels against the curves of the car.

·
Administrator
8,668 Posts
I too like the look of the Sky wheels on my Solstice. I originally bought these as winter wheels for my 07 Sly but use them as my summer wheels now on my coupe. I also found the "take-offs" on ebay. I like the contrast of the sharp edges of the wheels against the curves of the car.
Am I allowed to point this out as another example of the superiority of the Sky over the Solstice? No? I didn't think so. Carry on!

·
Registered
2006 NA Deep 99.9% Stock
116 Posts
SolCoupe171: I love your red calipers, that's got to be my next mod. Are yours painted, powder-coated, or a caliper cover?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Our Kappas share wheel specs with a number of GM vehicles of that era. Do some research. If you are patient, you can find some good alternatives that suit your taste. I agree that our wheel spec limit options.
Since I am not a fan of chrome wheels, replacing them was one of my first priorities. Those AXE wheels look awesome @The_Ghost !

·
Premium Member
2009 Solstice Coupe # 171, 2.4 NA 5 speed manual
66 Posts
I used the Dupont caliper paint kit. It's tedious work brushing it on but I liked the results. You also get enough paint to do more than one set making it economical.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Our Kappas share wheel specs with a number of GM vehicles of that era.
Nope. The wheel specs are rather unique.
The only other GM direct bolt-on was from SAAB

and those were smaller, like the 17" wheels seen here on a Saturn SKY.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Chevy Cruze, Cobalt, HHR all share our pattern to
Nope. The wheel specs are rather unique.
The only other GM direct bolt-on was from SAAB
and those were smaller, like the 17" wheels seen here on a Saturn SKY.
The Chevy Cruze, Cobalt and HHR all shared our wheel specs.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
??? :oops:

Chevy Cruze, Cobalt, HHR all shared our wheel specs.
...................................:unsure:

Kappas . . . . . 5 x 110 lug pattern

Cruze . . . . . . . 5 x 105

Cobalt . . . .. . . 4 x 100

HHR . . . . . . . . 5 x 100

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Chevy Cobalt, HHR, G5, G6, Malibu:

The Chevy Cruze 2LT and SS models were 5 lug, 5x110, the base models and LTs were 4 lug 4x100.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
The key words are "of that era." ;) There are some choices...just not a lot.

I got lucky when I came across a set of Saab 18" turbofan wheels. Made by Ronal. I got them at a great price and for fun plasti-dipped them in battleship grey.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts