Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here are images of the 2 wheel choices as outlined in brentil's list..

N87 base model from Bonneville GXP, 5 spoke (picture of single wheel)
Is this the one we saw on the show car? Looks a little different to me.

QF8 optional polished aluminum from Caddy SRX, 7 spoke (picture on SRX)

I'm sorry they didn't offer those 10 spoke ones we've been seeing on the test mules, I was starting to like those. I probably go with the 7 spoke ones.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Question: if the optional wheels do end up a lot of money, is it better (and cheaper) to just get after-market ones? Of course they could also put them in a some kind of package with other options.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Depends on if you like the rims Pontiac is offering. Because $1000 for 4 18" rims with tires isn't bad in my opinion. Going over to http://www.tirerack.com/ you can find all kinds of rims (unfortunately the Solstice isn't there yet). For 18" rims you're talking $200 to $300 per rim (they can get much higher though), plus new tires for the rim. So if you don't like the wheel choices from Pontiac you can probably find something for not too much more then the upgrade option they offer.

Personally I'd like to downsize the front to 17" and widen the rear from 8" to something a little bigger. I wouldn't want to do this to the NA version though.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Thanks for the pics! However, those may not be the same rims that the Solstice has, even if the RPO codes are identical between the two cars. There could be some variation. GM does re-use codes on multiple cars for similar items that are not the same.

It also may be a preliminary list. The 10 spoke wheels may become available, or they may also be a dealer installed accessory option instead of a factory one.

I doubt that the rims will cost a lot extra if they are a factory option. Usually upgrading rims as a factory option is very reasonable. If they are an accessory, they can get pricey. Still, they may be worth the price as those types of wheels tend to be of really high quality. Some of the cheaper aftermarket rims are just that. Cheap.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, sounds like factory wheel option is reasonable way to go.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Oh boy, I hope those aren't the rims on the car! :rolleyes

As far as upgrading, don't forget it may seem cheap, but you have already paid for the base set in the price of the car. Typically, aftermarket wheels are cheaper, lighter and better looking. Of course if you go with bottom feeder Pep boys or Autozone wheels you get what you pay for. :D

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Darkhamr said:
As far as upgrading, don't forget it may seem cheap, but you have already paid for the base set in the price of the car. Typically, aftermarket wheels are cheaper, lighter and better looking. Of course if you go with bottom feeder Pep boys or Autozone wheels you get what you pay for. :D
Speaking of aftermarket, I picked up a nice set of 5 spoke 17 inch TSW rims for my Fiero a couple years back. They are in my avatar, but its a tad small and not the highest quality picture anymore since I had to shrink it. Anyway, they were not real expensive ($160-$170 or so a piece) and came with the OEM Volvo finish on them. Its a silver look paint that is extremely shiney, and has provenvery durable against rock chips. I am very pleased with them.

The only thing I don't like them is that I couldn't use my stock wheel center caps which had the Fiero Pegasus shield on them.

I'd definately look aftermarket if I don't like Pontiac's offerings, but if their chrome rim looks good I'll probably go with that. OEM Chrome rims seem to hold up much better than aftermarket from what I have seen, unless you really want to pay!

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I got a close up look at the 5 spoke wheels (N87) tonight on a Bonneville at the dealer. Close up you see they are in deed painted grey/silver. Nice wheels but I gotta stop one day and check out the QF8 polished ones from the Caddy SRX.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I sort of like the 5 spoke ones, but I really need to see them in person. The solstice is such a simple elegant design, the last thing I want to do is some busy wheels on it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I really don't think those wheels are the ones the Solstice is going to come with. You definately won't see the Cadillac rims on the Solstice. GM re-uses codes and this will be no exception. For example, PY2 is a chromed steel wheel on a 3/4 ton pickup as well as the Chrome-Tech aluminum wheel on a Grand Am. Completely different wheel, same code.

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
eatoninside said:
I really don't think those wheels are the ones the Solstice is going to come with. You definately won't see the Cadillac rims on the Solstice. GM re-uses codes and this will be no exception. For example, PY2 is a chromed steel wheel on a 3/4 ton pickup as well as the Chrome-Tech aluminum wheel on a Grand Am. Completely different wheel, same code.
I saw those Caddy wheels last night when I was at a dealership... nothing like what we have seen on the Solstice. Might be the same code, but I agree with Eatoninside on this.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
GM keeps showing the production spec Solstices with the same 5 spoke wheels as it is. Is there any reason we should think those won’t be the wheels on the final car? They have a few cars now, the grey with tan interior car, the grey with dark interior, and now the black with dark interior in Detroit.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We assumed from cardealer's post there would be 2 choices, 1 base model (5 spoke) and something optional (he thought from Caddy barring any code resue). So far we've only seen the 5 spokes on show cars.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
mceb said:
We assumed from cardealer's post there would be 2 choices, 1 base model (5 spoke) and something optional (he thought from Caddy barring any code resue). So far we've only seen the 5 spokes on show cars.
My understanding of the choices were: painted 5 spoke base, and the same wheel polished optional. Maybe I'm wrong?

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
AeroDave said:
My understanding of the choices were: painted 5 spoke base, and the same wheel polished optional. Maybe I'm wrong?
The edmunds.com article had quoted a GM rep who said that options would include different wheel finished, but not necessarily different wheels altogether. Based on that, I would also assume a painted 5 spoke, and then a polished, or chromed one as an option. Here is the quote from the artile:

"We're going to offer a model of this car for under $20,000," Hopson said. "That's a line in the sand." He assured us the base model would retail at $19,995 when the Solstice arrives in showrooms next year. The base version is not some bare-bones version, either, he said, but includes the aforementioned 18-inch alloys, four-wheel disc brakes and the aluminum sport suspension. Options are few, including just leather upholstery, an upgraded audio system, different wheel finishes and limited-slip differential.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
19995 PLUS destination charge

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
achieftain said:
19995 PLUS destination charge
Isn't that the case with any new car base price? I really hope we don't see dealers tacking on $3500 for destination and dealer prep.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts