Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is our first convertible & I have a question...when the car is parked in the garage should the top be kept up or down? (We want to keep this car as perfect as possible.)

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
When not driving all converts should have the top up. Protects the interior and does not allow the fabric to set with wrinkles.

steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,293 Posts
swiss said:
When not driving all converts should have the top up. Protects the interior and does not allow the fabric to set with wrinkles.

steve
... or you could leave the top down and put the tonneau cover on to protect the interior. :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,258 Posts
At least while it's new i'll have the top up and tarp over it when not in use.
5 years down the road is a different story
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,691 Posts
And after your first episode of cleaning bird poop off of leather OR cloth you will put top up or tonneau when parking the car out in public.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,592 Posts
Up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,509 Posts
If dust & dirt settle on things in the garage it will also settle on everything inside the car.
 

·
Read Only
Joined
·
3,468 Posts
Thanks!

:thumbs: Thanks for the question and answers! I've never owned a convertible, so would never have thought about this. Now I know!!

--Chemist
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,509 Posts
If your really obsessed you could leave the top down and use a full padded car cover. Keeps everything clean.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
another tip for new convertable owners.. be careful raising/lowering the top in cold conditions (especially with that glass window). the top will be much stiffer and flex and stretch less. just take your time and go slow or risk holes, tears, etc. if you can raise/lower it in a warm garage if it's winter. not sure if the owner's manual has some temp. recommendations. i believe my jeep's top said 60+ if at all possible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
scottjl said:
another tip for new convertable owners.. be careful raising/lowering the top in cold conditions (especially with that glass window). the top will be much stiffer and flex and stretch less. just take your time and go slow or risk holes, tears, etc. if you can raise/lower it in a warm garage if it's winter. not sure if the owner's manual has some temp. recommendations. i believe my jeep's top said 60+ if at all possible.
My understanding is that cloth tops (like the Solstice has) can be operated in cold temperatures without problems. Vinyl tops get stiff and brittle in cold temperatures. (someone correct me if I'm wrong on this) My miata manual says to not operate the top below 40 degrees. I've used it at 50 degrees without any issues. Below 50 is a little too chilly for me anyways. :)
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
Top up if you have any dust at all in your garage. Just to keep it clean.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
576 Posts
Top Up!

You should always put the top up when parking a convertible. It keeps the long term wringles from forming. The only way to get these out is with a heat gun, but that can be tricky. Ideally, park the car in the garage, with windows up and a car cover. This will maintain the car for the longest time. It also keeps small uninvited animals out of the car. The tonneau cover is great when you want to park the car around town, but should not be used for longer term parking. On my convertibles, I never leave the top down more than 24 hrs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
My garage has spiders...REALLY BIG ones. Top up. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,171 Posts
achieftain said:
And after your first episode of cleaning bird poop off of leather OR cloth you will put top up or tonneau when parking the car out in public.
I agree 100% keeping the top up in the garage, but it's funny to me about the birds and the convertible, cause I've been leaving my top down on my Mlaibu in public places for thirty years and I have never had the misfortune of this experience. I'm just really lucky, I guess. :)
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
1,492 Posts
No the birds are out looking for fords!:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,312 Posts
Limbo said:
My garage has spiders...REALLY BIG ones. Top up. ;)

I don't like spiders and snakes... (Wasn't that from an old song????) and mice too! I have all three and don't want any of them getting in my car!
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top