Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read that there is a supercharged version in the works. Anyone have an ETA?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
GM will wait at least 6 months. I suspect 18 months.

They are going to be able to sell all they can when it comes out. They will want to save the powerful version to spike it up a bit when people are used to the standard Solstice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Makes sense I guess - same basic strategy as the Z06.

I think the Solstice will have early competition though - the next Miata is due out very soon, and will surely have an upgraded engine, and be considerably lighter. It is likely the Solstice will not be able to hang with it, at least in the standard form.

Of course, the Solstice looks a lot better, so I am sure they will still sell very well.

I wonder how quick aftermarket companies will start in on the Solstice. I wouldn't be surprised to see some good aftermarket parts out before GM readies the supercharged version. It is going to be hard to wait an extra year or more for it...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
We're going to see a lot of aftermarket parts for the Solstice. There should be a turbo out relatively quickly. They are used on this basic engine already.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
I have it from a pretty good source that it is supercharged - there is even a possibility that it may be available in 2006 afterall, but GM is keeping a lid on this. Would be nice to see. Perhaps a dealer installed aftermarket kit if not right from the factory.

Should boost HP to the 240 that has been stated in the press.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
2006solstice said:
Makes sense I guess - same basic strategy as the Z06.

"I think the Solstice will have early competition though - the next Miata is due out very soon, and will surely have an upgraded engine, and be considerably lighter. It is likely the Solstice will not be able to hang with it, at least in the standard form.

Of course, the Solstice looks a lot better, so I am sure they will still sell very well. "

We haven't seen the next generation miata yet, Why are you so sure the Sosltice looks a lot better?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,206 Posts
Just saw that picture of the "possible miata". I wonder if Janet Reno naked might look better.

ghnlainmasd sjd y;wur mnd

(Sorry, my keyboard started malfunctioning after i barfed on it... that ibuki is just plain ugly!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There were some pretty cool pictures of a Miata coupe also. I'll see if I can find them again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
speed freak said:
I found this one a while back. I can't remember which mag site I found it on.
This has all of the tell-tale signs of a PhotoChop. I would guess this was a mag's artist rendering. It looks like offspring of a S2000/current Miata.

I agree the Ibuki is not great - way too cutesy. Perhaps the color makes it look worse.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
speed freak said:
I found this one a while back. I can't remember which mag site I found it on.
This looks much better than the Ibuki concept in my opinion. Will be interesting to see what Mazda does, as it is Mazda's Corvette/Mustang in many ways - the car that surely helped keep them in the market when their other models were sagging.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
I read an article in motor tred or car&driver that the solstice will have a 2.0liter turbo or supercharger under the hood that will sell for about 25grand
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
As we all know the base engine is a 2.4 ecotec inline 4....

There ALREADY is plenty of aftermarket products for that engine.

Any superchargers or turbos already in the aftermarket will fit this engine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
MaNHaTTaN said:
As we all know the base engine is a 2.4 ecotec inline 4....

There ALREADY is plenty of aftermarket products for that engine.

Any superchargers or turbos already in the aftermarket will fit this engine.
They are getting 1000hp out of this engine. There will be plenty of options to make it go fast out of the box.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
535 Posts
ohyeah said:
They are getting 1000hp out of this engine.
Add a note to this that the block has been proven to take 1000hp, but it goes without saying internals DO need upgrading as well as fuel system and other things. I just don't want anyone new to tuning or this motor to think 1000hp is a bolt on affair. :wink
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top