Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been back to the dealership 3 times in the last few months and each time they tell me it will be available in 4-6 weeks. (The first time it was late Aug, then it was late Oct. Now it's late Nov). What's going on? I suspect that these delays indicate trouble with manufacturing.

Does anyone have any info as to when they will REALLY be available for sale?

Andrew G

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
HA HA....

Not yet. Is that the only way to get one, (to place an order)?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Yup, you'll have to order one, there won't be any on dealer's lots

andrew g said:
HA HA....

Actually, YES.

GM already has more than 13,000 orders in, and the first model year [July 2005 through June 2006] is currently set for about 18,000. So, you're just NOT going to see many of these on dealer's lots. They're all being delivered directly to customers.

If you've been going back to the same dealership, and getting the same illinformed answers to your questions, then I strongly encourage you to expand your search.

With regard to how to find a dealer, I've got a post that helps describe some of the things you should do. I'll re-post it here:
Crimson Avenger said:
Most of the forum members are getting their Solstices for MSRP. I would advise you to call more dealers, and find one at MSRP. Then, take a deposit acceptance form something like this with you...

Here's a reprint of a couple of posts that I've made multiple times:

The time you place your deposit is the perfect time to get an agreement to buy the car at MSRP. After you have given the dealer the deposit, you will not have very much leverage, but if you haven't placed your deposit yet, take a form something like the following with you...

I've posted this a few times before, but it bears a repost...

I discuss this in the following post: Non-EOP thread on Ordering: Be sure to get your MSRP in writing...

Take the following form with you to the dealer BEFORE you give them your deposit.
2006 Pontiac Solstice Deposit Acceptance

In consideration for a $500 refundable deposit to be applied to the purchase price, -*insert-dealer-name-here*- agrees to offer (subject to availability) -your-name- a 2006 Pontiac Solstice at MSRP without a dealer or market based price markup. This MSRP price point will apply to a unit purchased as a special order, a regular order from their dealer's regular allocation, or to a purchase from dealers available stock.

Signed:

Once you give them your deposit, and you have nothing in writing saying MSRP, you'll be subject to the mood and market pressures of the dealer at the time you can finally place the order and/or go to take delivery and sign the final purchase agreement. As I have said before, AFTER you have given them your money, they will have almost NO incentive to agree to MSRP without markups.

Now, the standard disclaimer applies, I am not a lawyer. However, this should give you a starting point to get your MSRP agreement in writing.

Best of luck! :)

Now, a discussion of how to find a dealer willing to sell at MSRP:

Call around to the dealers BEFORE you go down to place your order. Ask them these questions:
  1. How many units do you have in your 4 month allocation?
  2. Of those, do you have any which are not already promised to customers?
  3. Can I purchase the car at MSRP without a dealer or market based markup?
If you get affirmative answers to the above, make a note of it, and keep calling.

To get the list of dealers, use the Pontiac.com web site and put in your zip code. If you need to seek dealers further away, you could put the dealer's zip codes at the edge of the circle into the find a dealer interface and spring board further out.

Don't be afraid to call a lot of dealers. If you don't feel comfortable talking to one, then say, "Thanks for your time. It was nice talking to you." and hang up. There ARE good dealers like our very own Conejo148 and Small Dealer. You just have to look a bit. Again, if you get a bad feeling in the pit of your stomach, walk out. It's your money, and you have the power and the choice. Don't ignore your instincts--they're probably right.

For good dealers, consider making it a road trip. You'll need to make two trips, one to place the deposit and check out the dealer in person to see if you don't get that sinking feeling. The second trip, you can rent a car one way back out there, and drive your brand-new Solstice home... Sweet! Christen the car with a road trip.... :cool:

Even if the dealer is a long ways away, you can still use a FAX machine to send the deposit agreement over to him, and ask him if he will sign it when you get there with your deposit. That way, you'll not surprise him, and you'll be better able to gauge how serious the dealer is about offering you a Solstice at MSRP.

Hope this helps. :cool:

Post Script: I improved the language of the agreement slightly from previous incarnations... ;)

Best of luck.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Andrew...Andrew...Andrew...These cars will not be for sale by walking into a dealership and expecting to see an available one sitting on the showroom floor. All the Sols in production have been spoken for and there is a long list of people waiting. Even if you put in an order tomorrow I doubt that you would see you new Sol until next spring at the earliest. I am sure all the dealers allocations are already assigned to buyers in waiting. That is the key word, "WAITING". My car was built on the 5th of October and just put on a train to ship here Oct. 31st. I won't see it in California until Thanksgiving if I am lucky.
You might find a dealer who's buyer backed out of a allocated car. He might sell it to you if you are in the right place at the right time. AT A MARK UP :(

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Follow the advice, call around. It's not that gloomy out there!

orlando said:
You might find a dealer who's buyer backed out of a allocated car. He might sell it to you if you are in the right place at the right time. AT A MARK UP :(
While mostly true, there have been numerous examples of folks with some tenacity calling around and finding dealers who will commit to selling at MSRP, who shortly there after, call saying something like, "We've got one coming, and the original person has decided they don't want it. It's got........ Do you want it?"

It really happened fairly recently: link to [Thread: Over MSRP, Post: What a day!] By: AFSOC 1st Sgt

You've got to remember your time is worth a lot, but in the face of a dealer unwilling to sell at MSRP, you can spend a lot of hours looking for another one and still be dollars ahead.

While single anecdotes are not significant, as the stories start piling up, you can begin to see a trend. Specifically, AFSOC 1st Sgt, noted that of the 28 he called, only 4 were asking over MSRP, and of those 4, three were from dealerships owned by the same greedy dealer he was trying to get away from.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Crimson Avenger said:
While mostly true, there have been numerous examples of folks with some tenacity calling around and finding dealers who will commit to selling at MSRP, who shortly there after, call saying something like, "We've got one coming, and the original person has decided they don't want it. It's got........ Do you want it?"

It really happened fairly recently: link to [Thread: Over MSRP, Post: What a day!] By: AFSOC 1st Sgt

You've got to remember your time is worth a lot, but in the face of a dealer unwilling to sell at MSRP, you can spend a lot of hours looking for another one and still be dollars ahead.

While single anecdotes are not significant, as the stories start piling up, you can begin to see a trend. Specifically, AFSOC 1st Sgt, noted that of the 28 he called, only 4 were asking over MSRP, and of those 4, three were from dealerships owned by the same greedy dealer he was trying to get away from.
:agree:
I had an order (MSRP) with a local dealer since the beginning of the summer. About three weeks ago I found out that they had over sold their allotment and I probably wouldn't get my car until next fall. I emailed some rural dealers in my state and got replies from two that had cars that people had cancelled and were att Event 3000, MSRP. So, my car will be built before the end of this year. You just have to put forth a little effort and you can find one.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Another thing to keep in mind is that some dealerships chose not to place orders for individual customers. These dealers instead placed orders for dealership stock orders, with the intention of selling them to customers as the cars come in on a first come, first served basis. So there will be cases where a dealership has Solstices that were not pre-ordered by a customer.

Unfortunately, these are often the same guys selling for thousands over MSRP. I guess in such cases, they hope that people will be willing to pay the mark-ups in order to get immediate delivery. I've seen a few posts from folks who did, just to have a Solstice now rather than later.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to everyone for your helpful comments.

·
Registered
363 Posts
andrew g said:
HA HA....

yep, that is the only way dude.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Has anyone mentioned it....... E-Bay or Autotrader.com? :devil: Sad but true. They are out there RIGHT NOW.

We know what kind of car it is: Now we just need to haggle over the price.

Good luck Andrew. I voted for the wait so I could get one exactly like I wanted, but I'm ordering White and that isn't too popular. If color isn't a big factor, pound the pavement and see what you can find. Maybe you'll get lucky. There are WONDERFUL people on this forum who have great info. Be careful though, the forum is kind of like the twilight zone.... People get in but their cars never come (see dengel's posts) :(

I like the cool smiles though! :cool: :lurk: :leaving:

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
dengel said:
Another thing to keep in mind is that some dealerships chose not to place orders for individual customers. These dealers instead placed orders for dealership stock orders, with the intention of selling them to customers as the cars come in on a first come, first served basis. So there will be cases where a dealership has Solstices that were not pre-ordered by a customer.
:agree: Some dealers chose to do it that way from the beginning without taking any custom orders and at some point, they will show up on the lot ready to sell. So no, ordering one is not the only way to get one. But chances are that most of them will sell above sticker price that way. Check out the "Pure Luck" thread for somebody who just bought their car that way. As somebody else mentioned, there is also the possibility of somebody backing out of the sale, but regardless, there's going to be a mad dash for any available cars, so odds probably aren't in your favor to get one without having an order.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts