Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I stopped by the local Pontiac dealer and got blank stares when I asked if they had any allocation for the Solstice. The sales manager told me to check back in September. I can tell that a lot of the people who are participating in this forum find it frustrating to wait for a vehicle which has been so well anticipated.

My feelings:

As in my other 2 posts, I think it is great that such great niche cars are appearing on the market - Solstice, Sky and Miata. And surely others will follow - Imagine what Korea could do with the concept!

I too would like to have a fesh new "true" sports car. My concern is the "New Model Syndrome" which seems inevitable (frequent glitches, multiple recalls, lots of visits to the dealer). Still, that part of me which does not want to wait, says - "go ahead, get one, so what!"

Circumstances which are beyond my control may just force me to wait anyway - limited availability! I do not know for sure, but I have a feeling that the worst bugs will be worked out in the first year or so - and by then, availability may not be an issue.

Having said that, purchasing cars anytime can be a crap-shoot, since I have purchased vehicles which were not first year releases and have had to get rid of them because they were such lemons.

My opinions:

The Solstice is very well designed - truly "form follows function". The Sky is also very nice, but something doesn't feel right about the front facia.

The new Miata could just be the best Miata yet but given its' diminutive size, I would have to defer to the Solstice (I am 6'2"). The Miata forum has testimonials of people who have driven the car and say that it is larger than the last version but still tight for those 6' or above. (Detroit did its homework here.) (I need to remember that the Japanese are significantly shorter than Americans!). So, for those under 6', the Miata should be somewhat of an alternative.

I hope Pontiac actually builds the Solstice Coupe - Since I would prefer a vehicle with some real cargo space (and hey, a sunroof could be nice too!).

Depending upon circumstances, I too may be driving a Solstice - but most likely it will be a year or so from now.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,210 Posts
As far as "check back in September" goes...all dealers have known their 1st four month allocation since April. If they say wait for September I'd suspect they ordered spec cars and will sell them at markup. Just a gut feeling.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
mceb said:
As far as "check back in September" goes...all dealers have known their 1st four month allocation since April. If they say wait for September I'd suspect they ordered spec cars and will sell them at markup. Just a gut feeling.
They don't neccessarily have to mark them up? A dealer in my area was going to go the route of just ordering random Solstices, simply because they didn't have that many preorders, and those that had went for all the options... so they were pretty much just going to order optioned out vehicles in different colors.

I mean, in this case, and probably some others, it's possible a dealer in a certain town has a first allocation and has no one interested in them. In that case, the dealer would still get their first allocation cars right? They'd just recieve them like they'd recieve any other car in Pontiac's lineup without much demand?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
mceb said:
As far as "check back in September" goes...all dealers have known their 1st four month allocation since April. If they say wait for September I'd suspect they ordered spec cars and will sell them at markup. Just a gut feeling.
First I must say how great this forum is! This is my first post, but I have been following for quite some time. Anyway, I have been having the same problem as Funky. I placed my order for my Sol on 4/16 and can't get any info from my dealer at all. When I asked him about his allocation, I got the same response as Funky. I have also noticed that many members know what color they are getting. I was told back then that they couldn't specify color. Whole process has been very frustrating so far. :banghead: But anyway, congrats to all you in the first 1000, you lucky dogs will be driving yours soon while I'll be the guy still driving my Firebird with my tongue hanging out as you go by. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
Firebird99 said:
First I must say how great this forum is! This is my first post, but I have been following for quite some time. Anyway, I have been having the same problem as Funky. I placed my order for my Sol on 4/16 and can't get any info from my dealer at all. When I asked him about his allocation, I got the same response as Funky. I have also noticed that many members know what color they are getting. I was told back then that they couldn't specify color. Whole process has been very frustrating so far. :banghead: But anyway, congrats to all you in the first 1000, you lucky dogs will be driving yours soon while I'll be the guy still driving my Firebird with my tongue hanging out as you go by. :)
I would be very concerned about the dealer you're working with if he told you that you couldn't specify color. I've heard a lot of terrible salesperson stories on here but that's a new one. I don't think there's any way they can place the order without specifying color and they should definately have placed your order by now. Ask them for a print out from their VOM system showing your order.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,210 Posts
Welcome Firebird99. I'd ask your dealer if your order as been "picked up" by GM and what # you in their first allocation. If your order is in their system (autobook, dealerworld) they can print you out a copy of the order.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
mceb said:
Welcome Firebird99. I'd ask your dealer if your order as been "picked up" by GM and what # you in their first allocation. If your order is in their system (autobook, dealerworld) they can print you out a copy of the order.
Thanks. They actually gave me an AutoBook print out that day, and it says on the window sticker page for Interior, Exterior 1 and Exterior 2, "No color has been selected". I was able to order all the other options I wanted, except color. All the colors look great from the pics everyone has posted, but I was really wanting a "cool". Oh well, it will probably be months before I even see one in this area.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
naoki said:
They don't neccessarily have to mark them up? A dealer in my area was going to go the route of just ordering random Solstices, simply because they didn't have that many preorders, and those that had went for all the options... so they were pretty much just going to order optioned out vehicles in different colors.

I mean, in this case, and probably some others, it's possible a dealer in a certain town has a first allocation and has no one interested in them. In that case, the dealer would still get their first allocation cars right? They'd just recieve them like they'd recieve any other car in Pontiac's lineup without much demand?
Which dealer are you refering too, because I've talked to all the ones in the Orlando/Longwood area and they've all sold well past their first 4 month allocation? My dealership alone had a 15 car allocation and they've pre-ordered over 50 now. Any Orlando dealer buying a car on their own without a customer is more then likely going to mark it up to make extra money I bet unfortunately.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
I didn't know we could necessarily mention dealers, but by giving a town on the outskirts, I'm sure you could easily narrow it down... this one happens to be in Lakeland.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top