Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy the Solsitice as soon as it hits the car lots. But from what I've heard, it would be better to wait at least a year. Because after the first year of production, Pontiac is ging to produce the Solsitce with a more powerful engine 200-210hp, instead of the 170hp. Anyone else heard about this?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,210 Posts
If you can wait, yes it would better a year out after the rush has died down, more cars are in inventory and more options are available.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,570 Posts
Lola said:
But from what I've heard, it would be better to wait at least a year. Because after the first year of production, Pontiac is ging to produce the Solsitce with a more powerful engine 200-210hp, instead of the 170hp. Anyone else heard about this?
That's the rumor. Nothing official from Pontiac. Most likely they will offer a higher HP Solstice eventualy, but when, who knows. The rumor is one year later, but again, not official. If more HP is important to you, and you can stand the wait, I'd do it. Other reasons to wait would be: Pontiac will have more time to work out potential bugs (first year people are guiney pigs), Price should normalize with less gouging, and to see other offerings that are coming from Saturn, VW, and Mazda.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
Theres a chance it might be more then a year too. If the rumors of 'mid 2005' (June/July) release is true then you'll be waiting until Oct/Nov 2006 for a model refresh. And that's also IF they release a higher output model at that point, and not 2006.5 or 2007.

The 200-210 HP increase is if the Red Line/SS Cobalt Supercharged 2.0L ECOTEC engine. We've had many discussions exactly how we'll see more HP. Here's a pretty good thread about it.
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=285&page=1&pp=15
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
buy it right away and if no F/I version is available at the get-go, you can always add on later. that's what i'll be doing
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
I am leaning towards getting one right away instead of waiting. Why? First I do not know if or when a higher output model will be out. We basically think there will be one at some point. However, there is nothing set in stone yet. Second, I do not think I could stand waiting an extra year or two for the car. I am dying as it is right now! Finally, if I decide I want the higher output car after it is out, I may be willing to trade up for it, even if the Solstice I have is not very old. I generally do not own a car much past 3 years, more so because I get tired of the same car than anything (my Fiero is an exception). I wouldn’t replace a base Solstice after only one year of ownership, but as long as I had a Solstice I could certainly get by happily for a couple years until I decided to move up.

Now, I said I was leaning that way because I may very well wait a year or so to get the Solstice too. Lately I have been getting the itch for a new daily driver. If I do decide to replace my daily driver now, I would wait a year on the Solstice to help guard against 1st year troubles and in a hope that the higher output version comes out.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
If people are relally worried about wanting a Solstice year one, but wanting the higher HP version in a year just lease one for a year. Just get a year lease on a new model, and then purchase the higher HP version when it arrives. Or like Fformula88 mentioned, but it anyways and trade it in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
753 Posts
my check is in the mail to GTOJ- he has promised MSRP and i don't think we are going to find much better than MSRP for many months after the solstice is available. a supercharged Ecotec would be great, and i would pay for it, but i'm not going to wait for it. i'm thinking that by the numbers (170hp/170tq and 2900 lbs) that i will not be disappointed with the stock Ecotec.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
You can alway get Invoice for a car. I know several individuals getting the brand new Lancer Evolution VIII MR for invoice, and this is a limited run car of only a couple thousand. I also know several people getting brand new 2005 Mustang GT's for invoice. If you get a car as a pre-order it's the best time to argue your way to paying invoice instead of MSRP. If you wait till a month after they're out and want invoice, you're going to have a much harder time unless the car just isn't selling. You're garuanteeing a sell of a car that wont sit on a lot taking up space for a car they can sell with dealer markup. You're also more then likely to start using their service centers, bringing in more money to that dealer.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
4,592 Posts
Invoice/1st year?

:confused INVOICE?:
Love the idea of getting for invoice instead of MSRP. I figure that to be approximately another $1500 savings. How many of you agree that invoice would be possible?

:confused FIRST YEAR?:
I've also been concerned about buying first year vehicle, I have no personal experience with a first year car, and don't know how seriously to consider it a risk. Please, those of you who feel strongly one way or the other, I'd love to hear your thoughts - how serious is the issue with first year cars - minor - or - significant.

thanks,
Rodeo :seeya
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
Invoice is always possible, if you're good enough at persuading them to do it for you. Personally I'm not, BUT... my woman is. If you ordered a 2005 Mustang GT this year and didn't get invoice, then you went to the wrong dealer. 3/5 people on the Mustang forums I've read have gotten invoice.
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
brentil said:
Or like Fformula88 mentioned, but it anyways and trade it in.
I wouldn't do this with any vehicle, but I am considering it with the Solstice because I expect it to have a fairly good resale value. I know, GM vehicles usually do not, but its not going to be produced in ultra large numbers, and I do think it will be fairly popular keeping demand up, and therefore rebates low. As long as demand does not drop off too quick, and GM can move them without a raft of rebates the resale should stay high, and make it a low economic risk to buy right away and trade up later. If not, well, I'll either have to eat a larger payment on the new vehicle or live with the 170 HP version, which I don't think would be very hard to do! :smile

As for invoice, you basically need to find a dealer willing to do invoice. I am not sure that will be easy. You'd probably need to find a Pontiac dealer with a large allocation who is willing to do invoice and make their profit in volume sales. However, smaller allocation dealers are likely to want to try and hold onto them and sell them at MSRP (or more) to squeeze all the profit they can out of the car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
533 Posts
RODEO said:
.....
I've also been concerned about buying first year vehicle, I have no personal experience with a first year car, and don't know how seriously to consider it a risk. Please, those of you who feel strongly one way or the other, I'd love to hear your thoughts - how serious is the issue with first year cars - minor - or - significant.

thanks,
Rodeo :seeya
I have a first year 350Z (a 2003 model that I pre-ordered - it was delivered Sept 2002). The only problem I've had in two years was tire feathering which was said to be caused by improper alignment at the factory. Nissan replaced the tires and re-aligned the wheels under warrantly. The biggest all new component on that car is the transmission. Some owners had problems with it and had it replaced under warranty. My recommendation to first year model buyers is to get the extended warranty before the base warrantly expires if problems are reported with early models.

Other first year models I've owned were a 1990 Subaru Legacy and a 1996 Taurus (redesigned from the first version). Neither had problems.

(edit - forgot one - Another first year model my wife had was a Subaru Forrester and it did have one problem - clutch chatter - I think the cause was a component that wasn't strong enough but Subaru wouldn't own up to it).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,210 Posts
Fformula88 said:
As for invoice, you basically need to find a dealer willing to do invoice. I am not sure that will be easy. You'd probably need to find a Pontiac dealer with a large allocation who is willing to do invoice and make their profit in volume sales. However, smaller allocation dealers are likely to want to try and hold onto them and sell them at MSRP (or more) to squeeze all the profit they can out of the car.
Agree. Pontiac dealers will try to squeeze every penny out of a hot low-volume car...supply and demand. I'm thinking MSRP will be the norm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,266 Posts
I'll be waiting until December or January till I buy. Either the rush will be over and I'll get a good deal, or the Solstice will be the biggest hit in years, and Pontiac will have severly underestimated the demand thus making them scarce and expensive.

With my luck, it'll probably be the latter.

As far as first year models go, I've had several. Only my Chrysler Sebring was a dog.
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
AztekzRpurty said:
I'll be waiting until December or January till I buy. Either the rush will be over and I'll get a good deal, or the Solstice will be the biggest hit in years, and Pontiac will have severly underestimated the demand thus making them scarce and expensive.

With my luck, it'll probably be the latter.

As far as first year models go, I've had several. Only my Chrysler Sebring was a dog.
Oh, I’d be surprised if demand was so high you couldn’t find one! With a projected volume of 20K units, I think there will be enough to go around. That is a lot more cheap 2 seaters than the market as a whole has moved in a long time, and some people will still shop Miata too. It just might take some time to build up a supply since initial demand is bound to be high.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top