Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I still have some money to pay off on my current car. I want to get the solstice around may. A friend I know is a sales manager and he told me to order by end of this year if I want one. If I want to take possession around may when is the best time to place an order? I need to keep making some payment on the current ride and the also need a heads up to sell.

·
2,574 Posts
SmokinSolstice said:
Ok so I still have some money to pay off on my current car. I want to get the solstice around may. A friend I know is a sales manager and he told me to order by end of this year if I want one. If I want to take possession around may when is the best time to place an order? I need to keep making some payment on the current ride and the also need a heads up to sell.
One honest answer is you can't tell for sure. Smart a** answer is in time for delivery before the strike begins!

·
Registered
142 Posts
I received an email from my salesman yesterday stating that the dealer just received their second allocation. He went on to say, second allocation cars "should" be delivered in May or June.

·
2,574 Posts
SlyFly said:
I received an email from my salesman yesterday stating that the dealer just received their second allocation. He went on to say, second allocation cars "should" be delivered in May or June.
Sounds very reasonable keeping in mind that Sky production will have begun! :)

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So basically I should check back and see if its second allocation? If not then Im screwed? Im so confused because so many people say so many things that Im not sure. Basically if I ordered now chances are I won't get it before may right?

·
5,641 Posts
See that you joined in March, how you have been reading and paying attention.

The best time to place an order to receive in May is....tomorrow.

Placing an order and receiving the car are two seperate things. Your dealership has control over a large part of when you receive the car. They can prioritize the orders they have and choose which one(s) GM/Pontiac "picks up" at any given dealer order cycle that they have an allocation slot(s). Or in other words just because you order tomorrow, the dealership doesn't have to have you order "picked up" in this weeks order cycle.

By starting the process tomorrow, you have plenty of time to make sure you order with the right dealership for you.

By ordering tomorrow, your order is price protected against any possible future price increases by Pontiac/GM.

The second four month allocation period runs November to February for December to March production for January to April deliveries. Having you car allocated near the end of the period would get in sometime in April or "around May". Holding off for the last allocation period of the model year could be too risky. It should be easier to be in the end of a dealership's allocation period then the beginning.

You want a dealership that hasn't sold more cars already then they will be allocated in the second period. Ask them to see their allocation number. Ask them to see a VOMS or Dealer Work Bench print out of their current order bank. They should have more allocation then sold orders. If they will not do this, move on to another. But do it without buring bridges in case you need to come back to your first stop. Of course if it still feels right there, stay. Just remind them that you want to buy as much as they want to sell.

You also want a dealership that will agree to a price when you order. No surprises for later. A signed purchase agreement or whatever the dealership uses would be best.

Order the car with the explaination that you want to be the last car from their allocation quantity. Little bit of risk if Pontiac cuts the numbers but have to accept that. Make sure you get your VOMS order number from them.

Then ask to see their VOMS or Dealer Work Bench and monthly/weekly allocation reports every couple weeks. This will allow you to monitor if things are going smoothly. And it will keep your request in their minds. If they will not do this, move on to another dealership. (Another benefit of starting early, time to bail out and try again). Of course if you feel comfortable with the dealership and think it will be ok, stay.

Also ask them to tell you when you order reaches event code #3400 "broadcast". This is the last step before production. Depending on how far you are from the plant and when you are notified, this should give you at least two + weeks before the car shows up to sell you current car.

Kind of a tall order but see how it goes. Just remebmer your goal is to get the car on the time schedule that is best for you, not to pick on the dealership. All you are looking for is reassurance that things will happen as you hope.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow! That is more than I expected someone to answer for me! Im only 23 and learning as I go. I graduate college in May so thats why its important for me cause I consider is a grad gift for myself. Thanks for such a great explanation! One more question for the wise ones! How much do dealers take for a down payment on orders?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm not a great wise one but the average is $500-$1000. Anything more is considered too much. Some have paid as little as $200. I paid $500.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
500-1,000 was what I was thinking. Someone told me 10% I was like what? I mean if the car is 23720 thats 2,372 down or something like that. Way too much down in the situation Im in especially being in college. 500-1,000 sounds right.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Small Dealer said:
See that you joined in March, how you have been reading and paying attention.

The best time to place an order to receive in May is....tomorrow.

Placing an order and receiving the car are two seperate things. Your dealership has control over a large part of when you receive the car. They can prioritize the orders they have and choose which one(s) GM/Pontiac "picks up" at any given dealer order cycle that they have an allocation slot(s). Or in other words just because you order tomorrow, the dealership doesn't have to have you order "picked up" in this weeks order cycle.

By starting the process tomorrow, you have plenty of time to make sure you order with the right dealership for you.

By ordering tomorrow, your order is price protected against any possible future price increases by Pontiac/GM.

The second four month allocation period runs November to February for December to March production for January to April deliveries. Having you car allocated near the end of the period would get in sometime in April or "around May". Holding off for the last allocation period of the model year could be too risky. It should be easier to be in the end of a dealership's allocation period then the beginning.

You want a dealership that hasn't sold more cars already then they will be allocated in the second period. Ask them to see their allocation number. Ask them to see a VOMS or Dealer Work Bench print out of their current order bank. They should have more allocation then sold orders. If they will not do this, move on to another. But do it without buring bridges in case you need to come back to your first stop. Of course if it still feels right there, stay. Just remind them that you want to buy as much as they want to sell.

You also want a dealership that will agree to a price when you order. No surprises for later. A signed purchase agreement or whatever the dealership uses would be best.

Order the car with the explaination that you want to be the last car from their allocation quantity. Little bit of risk if Pontiac cuts the numbers but have to accept that. Make sure you get your VOMS order number from them.

Then ask to see their VOMS or Dealer Work Bench and monthly/weekly allocation reports every couple weeks. This will allow you to monitor if things are going smoothly. And it will keep your request in their minds. If they will not do this, move on to another dealership. (Another benefit of starting early, time to bail out and try again). Of course if you feel comfortable with the dealership and think it will be ok, stay.

Also ask them to tell you when you order reaches event code #3400 "broadcast". This is the last step before production. Depending on how far you are from the plant and when you are notified, this should give you at least two + weeks before the car shows up to sell you current car.

Kind of a tall order but see how it goes. Just remebmer your goal is to get the car on the time schedule that is best for you, not to pick on the dealership. All you are looking for is reassurance that things will happen as you hope.

Good Luck.
seriously, you confused the hell outta me ^^^ lol :willy:
I'm going to have to read this about 20 more times and hopefully understand it so when i DO goto the dealer, he dosent think i'm out of my mind.

·
Registered
192 Posts
by my watch you should have ordered in August, I ordered mine in April and still waiting for the darn thing to hit the assembly line. I may get mine by April if I am lucky

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
fak429 said:
by my watch you should have ordered in August, I ordered mine in April and still waiting for the darn thing to hit the assembly line. I may get mine by April if I am lucky
Yours is going to take longer fak429, you ordered a new launch car. ( You should of expected that) Whe you ordered in April, they weren't even making the cars. I'm sure by the second allocation you woun't be waiting 7/8 months.

·
Registered
8,665 Posts
SmokinSolstice said:
One more question for the wise ones! How much do dealers take for a down payment on orders?
My dealer asked for $500 deposit. I gave them a check in February and they did not deposit it until October.

When you give the dealer your check for the deposit, ask them if they deposit it right away or do they hold it? That way you know what to expect.

·
Administrator
9,258 Posts
Rumors are a flyin' that after Jan 1 the MSRP will go up. However, I doubt it. Spoke with salesman tonite (2nd order placed) he said good to place order now b/4 pricing goes up most likely on the options in order to keep MSRP below $20,000.

Go For IT!!!!! :yesnod:

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Y.T. said:
Sell your car now!!, Buy #116 from me!!

Y.T.
#93 & #116

You got two of them?!

·
Registered
363 Posts
SmokinSolstice said:

how about a month ago.........

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Woot! Im happy to announce that I placed my order in today! Im locked in!

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I should also note Im one of the lucky few....I did not need a deposit! Like I said Im really good friends with the Sales manager and when I asked how much he said...don't worry about it. He locked me in and Im guarnteed delievery in the spring...that is if pontiac keeps up!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts