Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

How long has it been since you checked your Spare Tire Pressure?

• One week ago or less

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • One month to one week ago

Votes: 6 9.4%
  • Between one and 6 months ago

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • Between one year and 6 months ago

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Between 2 years and one year ago

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Longer than 2 years, or I can't recall but I have done it sometime, a long time ago

Votes: 11 17.2%
  • Never checked my spare tire pressure (have owned my car longer than 2 years), (but now I will :))

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • Never checked my spare tire pressure (have owned my car less than 2 years), (but now I will :))

Votes: 7 10.9%

• Total voters
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For the majority of you out there that own a daily-driver with a spare tire, did you know that supposedly over 90% of drivers out on the road today have an UNDERINFLATED spare tire?

Do you realize that this is prolly worse than having a spare tire inflator kit (ala solstice)? Because you get your spare out, maybe you have 20psi in it, then put it on. Now you've done all the work, but still can't go anywhere without distroying the spare wheel... and you've wasted the time you could have been waiting for a tow truck.

On average, a tire may lose between 0.25% to as much as 2% pressure per month. The majority of space saver spares need to operate at 65PSI. After a year, that means a properly inflated spare will be down to about 63 psi to as low as 51PSI - or even lower!!!

Most space savers are pretty much worthless below 55 psi, with significant increases in spare tire wheel damage and potential overheating.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I have always had a habit of checking the pressure of all my tires, spare included, at oil changes and before taking a trip. I've only needed my spare on two occassions. I don't think spares are needed as badly as when nylon tires were the norm.

·
Founding Member
5,849 Posts
When the Grand Canyon potholes here in Jersey blew a hole in the sidewall of my right tire. So that had to be around late December...

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Keep in mind, this is an anonymous poll - so if you really haven't checked your spare tire pressure, don't feel bad. I know people who know better but do not check their normal car's tire pressure once in two years...

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Once got stuck at the airport with two almost flat tires. Lesson learned! (I also have AAA now).

You can buy a very small air pump at wallyworld or Harbor Freight for $10 and tires gauges are just as cheap.

I also carry a small zipper case tool kit and a First Aid kit in the cars too.

·
Registered
92 Posts
solsticeman said:
I know people who know better but do not check their normal car's tire pressure once in two years...

My DD is 8 years old and I have yet to check the spare's tire pressure.

On the other hand, my Vette doesn't even have a spare tire....and no runflats, either.

Got AAA and a cell phone though :thumbs:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I check the pressure on occasion. Probably not as often as I should, but I do get to it a couple times a year.

It helps that I seem to get a flat or two a year too, so I always have it on the car to remind me! I haven't put it on to find it flat yet! :)

·
Founding Member
5,849 Posts
I carry a 12v air pressure pump too. Didn't help me when I saw that hole. :lol:

·
Registered
527 Posts
I removed my spare tire. Then I removed my entire trunk. Then I cut big holes in the hood and put hood scoops on it. I figure if I get a flat in the fiero I'll call AAA...

But my cars lighter and now it's actually stable at 120mph...

·
Founding Member
5,849 Posts

·
4,592 Posts
When is a spare tire of no value, when it's flat!

I had the unfortunate experience of being camping out in the backcountry and getting a flat (picked up a nail). I swapped the spare, and enjoyed my evening. I awoke in the morning to find the spare picked up a nail also, and was flat. Cost me big $$$ to talk a guy into driving me the 50 miles round trip to get another tire :brentil:

I check my spare regularly since joining the auto forums last year, before that I barely checked the oil (although I always changed it every 3K).

·
Registered
316 Posts
Got to admit I dont check the spare regularly, though I do it more now. than Never used to think about it in the past. My Bonneville has a tire pressure monitoring system which is very helpful and Ive got a built-in inflator in the trunk. But if the battery is dead or the tire gets destroyed I would still need to rely on either my cell or OnStar respectively. I have AAA too, but they have left me "high and dry" in the past on two occasions, both of which occured in a very large metro area.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have never checked my spare pressure, but you probably can't with just a standard cheap pressure gauge. All the cheap ones I have only go to like 45-50 psi. My big one gauge cost me $50 and goes up to 150. I need it for my dump truck(100PSI). I carry one of those cheap pumps in my mustang and a kit to fix punctures, not the slime stuff, but the actual plugs. I have never had a blow out in any of my cars. However, I have had 2 blowouts in my dump trucks, luckily both were on the rear "dualie" axle, and minor problems.

·
Registered
154 Posts
never checked it. Prolly never will. If I need a spare, I'l just call AAA. Or my wife to give me a lift. Those tiny spares suck. Might as well not have them. The only place I would ever need one is on the highway and they are only rated for like 45 mph. and if the pressure is low even at that speed they are dangerous. I do carry an inflater but the only flat I've had is a blow out (and the spare was flat) so we got a tow.

·
Registered
621 Posts
The spare in my GTA stays deflated when not in use, else it doesn't fit at all in the cubbyhole. Don't know what option to shoe horn that into though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts