Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering when yall think an average buyer such as myself will be able to walk into a dealer, test drive a solstice, and purchase one... no pre-ordering, no waiting, no paying an inflated price, just walking in, negotiating, and purchasing from a dealer's stock.

the reason i ask is for a couple of reasons:

1) I really don't think I'll know what color/options I want till I test drive.
2) I am still debating the manual vs automatic. I know this is a heated subject, but I have my reasons.
3) I really want to wait till pontiac works out some of the kinks in its production process. The first year of any new car always has the most problems.
4) I want to purchase a solstice once my current toyota camry takes its last few breaths... I thought I had a good while, but this morning, my door handle snapped off, and I think that's a bad sign.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
thats how it starts. first the door handle, then the door, pretty soon your picking up the bumpers off the ground and putting them in the back seat and helping the towtruck driver get the engine up onto the deck of his truck. :lol: :lol:

sorry man. i know exactly how you feel. i finally just got rid of my '93 passat which has been a money pit for the past 18 months. i had to sink $6,000 into it in those 18 months, on top of the $10,000 i paid for the car. sold for $1,700 and quite honestly glad to be rid of it. i hopre that you make the right decision. although there is no wrong decision. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
since the camry came to me via my father, then my oldest sister, then my second oldest sister... its been around the block a few times. and thanks to my sisters and their horrible driving, its just about been rebuilt completely :O)

i have to admit though... i love the freon air conditioning. i told myself i wouldnt give up the car till the AC kicked the bucket. i mean, you just can't beat freon based air conditioning anymore.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
inVaUSA said:
I was just wondering when yall think an average buyer such as myself will be able to walk into a dealer, test drive a solstice, and purchase one... no pre-ordering, no waiting, no paying an inflated price, just walking in, negotiating, and purchasing from a dealer's stock.
Believe me, no one would like to have a situation like this more than the dealers. Unfortunately though I don't think it will happen for quite some time.

I can't speak for the U.S. but in Canada I wouldn't expect that kind of environment for at least a year (probably more) but I hope I'm wrong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
275 Posts
"I really want to wait till pontiac works out some of the kinks in its production process. The first year of any new car always has the most problems."
You are right there - that's why the Japanese manufacturers would
never send a newly engineered car to the US - they'd sell in Japan and Australia sometimes up to two years to make sure it was debugged before
entering the US market. All engineering is the same, whether drugs or
computer programs or cars - you need time for some bugs to show up
and get fixed. I would shy away from a first year car, at least the early units. I'm no pioneer or guinea pig.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
Forever and a Day........

inVaUSA said:
I was just wondering when yall think an average Joe such as myself will be able to walk into a dealer, test drive a solstice, and purchase one... no pre-ordering, no waiting, no paying an inflated price, just walking in, negotiating, and purchasing from a dealer's stock
How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop.......the world may never know........ :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,961 Posts
ntouched said:
How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop.......the world may never know........ :lol:
Although it varies, the average is somewhere in the 350 range. A group of engineering students from Purdue University recorded that their licking machine, modeled after a human tongue, took an average of 364 licks to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop. But then again, no two Tootsie Pops are exactly the same, there is sometimes more hard candy on one side than the other, and other variables can be introduced to change the outcome.

...man, I just sucked the fun out of that one. :willy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
Answers.......

Fortimir said:
Although it varies, the average is somewhere in the 350 range. A group of engineering students from Purdue University recorded that their licking machine, modeled after a human tongue, took an average of 364 licks to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop. But then again, no two Tootsie Pops are exactly the same, there is sometimes more hard candy on one side than the other, and other variables can be introduced to change the outcome.

...man, I just sucked the fun out of that one. :willy:
Good Info........... :lol: :yesnod: :lol: :yesnod:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,213 Posts
Pontiac MGR said:
Believe me, no one would like to have a situation like this more than the dealers. Unfortunately though I don't think it will happen for quite some time.

I can't speak for the U.S. but in Canada I wouldn't expect that kind of environment for at least a year (probably more) but I hope I'm wrong.
I got an email from GM Canada today saying we are only getting 1000 cars this Model year (2006), and 2000 next model year(2007). At the GM HQ launch they said they had 2500 Canadian orders. Which means they have sold out until around Feb-March 2007. Assuming we are all stubborn enough to stick around.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Information we have been given by our zone office is approx 1100 by caledar year end and 2000 in total for the model year. Recent conversations moved the 1100 number back to around 1067 but no one will know for sure until they are actually built as about a jillion things could happen throughout the course of the year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,452 Posts
jester316 said:
thats how it starts. first the door handle, then the door, pretty soon your picking up the bumpers off the ground and putting them in the back seat and helping the towtruck driver get the engine up onto the deck of his truck. :lol: :lol:
:glol: :lol: :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
inVaUSA said:
I was just wondering when yall think an average buyer such as myself will be able to walk into a dealer, test drive a solstice, and purchase one... no pre-ordering, no waiting, no paying an inflated price, just walking in, negotiating, and purchasing from a dealer's stock.
That'll be a long, long time. Particularly the negotiating part. This car has to be the most exciting piece of automotive machinery to come along in over a decade, the MINI Cooper being the only possible exception and the best recent barometer. OTOH, you will be able to buy one from dealer stock this winter if you keep a very sharp eye out, your ear to the ground, act very fast and are prepared to outbid your fellow Virginians for the car.

The Solstice is unlike anything I have ever seen in auto sales. It is the most universally liked, even "loved at first sight", 'gotta have' car in my experience. Even the level of excitment and anticipation the MINI generated pales in comparison. Frankly, I never new a car could elicit this depth of emotion from so many people. Unreal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
Fortimir said:
Although it varies, the average is somewhere in the 350 range. A group of engineering students from Purdue University recorded that their licking machine, modeled after a human tongue, took an average of 364 licks to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop. But then again, no two Tootsie Pops are exactly the same, there is sometimes more hard candy on one side than the other, and other variables can be introduced to change the outcome.

...man, I just sucked the fun out of that one. :willy:
You are a bad, bad person... :willy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
Breeze said:
That'll be a long, long time. Particularly the negotiating part. This car has to be the most exciting piece of automotive machinery to come along in over a decade, the MINI Cooper being the only possible exception and the best recent barometer. OTOH, you will be able to buy one from dealer stock this winter if you keep a very sharp eye out, your ear to the ground, act very fast and are prepared to outbid your fellow Virginians for the car.

The Solstice is unlike anything I have ever seen in auto sales. It is the most universally liked, even "loved at first sight", 'gotta have' car in my experience. Even the level of excitment and anticipation the MINI generated pales in comparison. Frankly, I never new a car could elicit this depth of emotion from so many people. Unreal.
:agree: :agree: :agree: Couldn't have said it better myself. How many cars out there are appealing to all ages and men and women on this large of a scale?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,210 Posts
I'm thinking we may never see where you can walk in, see 5 colors in the lot, test drive one, negotiate a price etc. Maybe after 2 years below MRSP might happen (little below).

Simple answer, low volume production. There just will not be tons of these things floating around dealer inventory. It's not like a Mustang where they build 200,000 a year. I think most will continue to be pre-sold orders. 20,000 a year only works out to 10 per dealer per year (averaged). Figure 1 a month a medium sized dealerships.

Now I do think things will simmer down next year once supply has caught up with the backlog of orders, you will see a 1 demo car at a dealer, asking over MSRP will be gone (over sticker moves to the turbo :lol: ). Also Sky will be out which will also take some of the heat off Solstice.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top