Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is essentially speculation. However, I am thinking that we may finally get some media reviews of this car when the June rags hit newsstands May 1. Possible some slightly earlier info from weekly or monthly publications. Since GM is starting to crank up the Solstice marketing machine, it would be a great time to get some first drives in. I bet the media types have already driven the car in pre-production form to prepare their writeups, and just have to wait for the embargo period to end to publish.

I am anxious to see what they have to say about the finished product. It won’t affect my buying decision, but I am really hoping for some positive press for the General with this car. They could use some good press for a change. Maybe the LA Times will also give them some credit on this one (but that is a stretch!). :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
May/June are good guesses. A convertible shoot-out would be nice, new NC, Sosltice and S2000.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mceb said:
May/June are good guesses. A convertible shoot-out would be nice, new NC, Sosltice and S2000.
That would be awesome! I have a feeling we'll have to wait a little while for that one, but by summers end you know they will want to do some comparos. At least the Sol vs NC Miata.

Maybe someone will jump the gun and throw an NB Miata or NB MSM Miata up against the Sol too.

·
5,641 Posts
Think you will be surprised on media. Long lead media event is scheduled for mid-June, short lead event in mid-August. that would mean September for press, or a month or two after the non-EOP cars arrive at dealership.

·
Registered
110 Posts
mceb said:
I dont think they would put the s2000 in the shoot out since it will surely out perform both of them. but a shoot out between the MX-5 and Sol would be cool :)

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I work at a newspaper, and our car guy knew about the Solstice but (of course) had not driven it yet ... nor had he heard anything about the EOP and the Apprentice tie-in. When I told him about it, he said, "Hey, good luck ... and when you get it, take me for a spin!" :yesnod:

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
There is a little piece of me that wants the Solstice to flop. That sounds horrible because i know how important it is for GM. But I want to be the only one I know with one.

Wow, that was really selfish lol

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Small Dealer said:
Think you will be surprised on media. Long lead media event is scheduled for mid-June, short lead event in mid-August. that would mean September for press, or a month or two after the non-EOP cars arrive at dealership.
I certainly am surprised, but thankful for the information! At least I won’t be disappointed when I don’t see the information.

Any speculation on why the long lead for it? GM seems to usually try to get some early drives reported on fairly early. Cobalt SS first drives showed up at newsstands in December. You think maybe GM wants to make sure they don’t have delays, and thus waste any hype created for them? Or they just don’t want to give anything away to the folks at Mazda before its too late for them to tweek the NC?

As always, you’re a wealth of great info Small Dealer! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Fformula88 said:
I...GM seems to usually try to get some early drives reported on fairly early....
What do you mean? They were in England with some of the magazines in February last year...

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
solsticeman said:
What do you mean? They were in England with some of the magazines in February last year...
I mean specifically production, or close to production vehicles. Their test mule coverage was a nice teaser, but its old news at this point and isn't doing much to build hype. I wouldn't expect GM to want to wait months to get these cars in magazines only because I would expect them to try and get the word out right away on them.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:lol: Oh, ok! I know I didn't use very good gramar in that post, but I thought it got my point across! Those emoticons can be important! ;) :lol:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
First production cars (EOP) are due starting in late June with regular inventory beginning later this summer. I don't know what the lead time is for the car rags between test and article publication but I would imagine its a couple of months. I agree. Sept/Oct for publications of full tests of production versions of the Sol.

That gives us time to do our own evaluations and post our driving impressions of the EOP cars before the mags come out! :lol:

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I definetly expect some sort of mega Summer Solstice event on GM's part. June 21st isn't it?

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
I expect full page bad reviews in the LA Times tomorrow morning bright and early :glol::glol:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
brentil said:
I definetly expect some sort of mega Summer Solstice event on GM's part. June 21st isn't it?

Yep your right. On GM's marketing schedule for June 21st is "Summer Solstice" promotion.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts