Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The "Build Your Slostice" link on the Pontiac site was down for about a week. It's finally back up and it looks like there are a couple of more changes. The Polished wheels are now up $50 to $545 and XM is no longer listed on the option list??? There are a couple of places that XM is mentioned but it can not be chosen as an option any longer. Does anyone know if they really are dropping the option or maybe they are reworking it on the site still? :(

·
Registered
175 Posts
It's cheaper to buy XM as an aftermarket item. You can get the radio, two antenna,one for the car and one for the home, remote control and various bases for around 80 bucks at Costco. You can then take the little radio (about the size of a deck of cards) out of the car and use it in your stereo system in you house.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I went to the site and built one, clicked on View Summary. Then, I clicked to Modify the Options & Packages section and then I was able to choose the XM option then.

Wow!! $325!! Not worth it to me!! Especially if I can just put a hundred or more songs on a CD using the MP3 capability.

- bspate -

·
Registered
175 Posts
You are right! Buy an XM Roady2 at Best Buy or Costco for less than $100.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Just saw the first production vehicle with XM and it doesnt have the huge "fin" antenna but rather the little rectangular one like my aftermarket kit. Still on the rear deck lid though. But it is a nice option for us in the mountains. Hard to get stations.

·
5,641 Posts
deepdawg said:
Just saw the first production vehicle with XM and it doesnt have the huge "fin" antenna but rather the little rectangular one like my aftermarket kit. Still on the rear deck lid though. But it is a nice option for us in the mountains. Hard to get stations.

The "fin" antenna is for Solstices with OnStar, we believe.

Bonzo Audit Scorecard :)
Defend Dealership: No Critical Dealership: No
Defend GM: No Critical GM: No
Provide Infomation: Yes
Answer Question: Yes
General Conversation: No

GO RED SOX!

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
JetBlackE31 said:
80 bucks at Costco.
"You get what you pay for."

--One of my many life-long creeds. A good one to go by and great advice for anyone.

·
Registered
93 Posts
JetBlackE31 said:
It's cheaper to buy XM as an aftermarket item. You can get the radio, two antenna,one for the car and one for the home, remote control and various bases for around 80 bucks at Costco. You can then take the little radio (about the size of a deck of cards) out of the car and use it in your stereo system in you house.
Are you sure about that? The antenna, remote control and base cost about 80 bux, but the radio itself is about $300. Unless the price dropped dramatically in the last three months since I helped my dad shop for one.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Wow $300 for XM? Which did you buy? I bought the original Roady in January for $100 (home kit). I just recently bought the Roady2 (car kit) for $50 with a $30 rebate. You'll find them from ecost.com and I think ebuyer.com . I also see them sell at Circuit City and Best Buy for about $50 bucks. Throw in another $50 for the home kit. The only thing I know of that is $300 (except for the stuff integrated in cars) is the XM 2 go or whatever thats called.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
if you want the external XM recevier mounted somewhere on the dash that is fine..but I perfer a hidden modular....so will go for the OEM installed one.....now waiting for the car continues...!!!

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
The downside to aftermarket XM is the cable from antenna into car will be outside rubbing against the paint and also going through weatherstipping in door or trunk area. Don't know what the oem antennas would cost through parts and if it would be compatible with non oem receiver, but that with drilling 1 hole would put all wiring neatly inside.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
PAO said:
if you want the external XM recevier mounted somewhere on the dash that is fine..but I perfer a hidden modular....so will go for the OEM installed one.....now waiting for the car continues...!!!
:agree: I did the same. Didn't want to haul equipment around and have antenea and cable all over the place. Not to mention the power cord into the aux power and the FM modulator.....An extra $200 for that is worth it to me.

·
Registered
120 Posts
:agree:

·
Registered
976 Posts
JetBlackE31 said:
OnStar and XM are two separate systems.
Thanks for the information. However, on alot of 06 model GM cars and trucks they are combining the XM and Onstar into the same antenna. I was suggesting that maybe they are going to offer a package that included both, at a lower cost. that might explain why XM isn't on the order workbench for a while? remember just a suggestion...

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
I saw the new combined onstar and XM antenna on a chevy HHR this weekend...the base is the same as the XM on the sol.....but it adds about a 2 inch high and 1/4 or 1/2 inch wide tapered "shark fin" antenna to the module......it really wasnt obvious.......again I have two antennas on my 04 Chevy...one for the XM..and one for Onstar....and they are huge compared to this little jewel!!!

·
Premium Member
10,465 Posts
It is very noticeable smack in the middle of the SOL/SKY trunk.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts