Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm patiently waiting for my Solstice and was wondering.... I ordered the "Smoker's Package" option and realized I didn't know where the ashtray is going to be. At one time it was rumored that you'd loose the center console cup holder if you got an ashtray. Is this true? That'd be a pain 'cuz it looks like that's the only cup holder that's located in a spot you can use.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
It should fit in any of the three.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I believe its designed to fit the 3rd cupholder (passenger side of tunnel), but I bet it would fit in the one between the seats.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
just quit smoking, better for you AND the car....
And with all the money you will save you can buy premium instead of regular...

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Cvair has your best solution. It will keep the value of your car higher as you won't get those nasty burns in the seat fabric. Remember you can't successfully toss a lit cig out the window of a droptop and expect it to miss your car's backseat, well okay you'll miss the backseat in this car.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Bakelite flanged cup ashtray

If it's anything like what we had for the Saturns, it will be a small cup with a flange and a flip top lid made out of high temperature bakelite. (The same material used in older built-in "plastic" ashtrays.)

Inside the cup, there will be a metal extinguishing shelf with a serrated hole for crushing out the burning end of the cigarette.

Since it's roughly the size and shape of the bottom of a cup, it should fit in any cup holder.

Having said that, however, the arm motions necessary for smoking and tapping ashes into the ashtray or extinguishing the cigarette are virtually identical to those used for drinking. Thus, if the center console cup holders are less convenient for drinks, they should probably NOT be used for the ashtray cup insert. You would want as smooth and uninterrupted a swing of the elbow as possible to avoid banging your elbow and jarring your hand resulting in dropping a hot ember on one of the seats, down next to your side, or onto the center console itself.

In short, you'll probably have to make the choice to put the ashtray in the passenger side tunnel mounted cup holder and keep the drinks under the waterfall.

Less than 15% of the population now smokes. I'm glad we still have an option for those who do, but wish we didn't have to.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I like cigars now and then (once or twice a month)... but cigarettes are disgusting.

...and I won't be smoking cigars while I drive. It's a freaking manual transmission... and it's not good for the cigars to leave them in your mouth too long (they get moist).

·
Registered
278 Posts
i dont smoke but an ashtray is quite usefull as a coin tray. thats all that has been in the treys in all my cars.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Got my number and quit smoking after 35 years. Cold Turkey. This car is not going to have smoke anywhere near it. It was my motivation to quit. Finally did it and feel great after just 2 weeks. I am type A all the way, if I can do it anyone can, no idea what took so long... Now I'll use the cup holder for a color matched ipod Nano instead of the ashtray kit. Coins are just car junk. QUIT - YOU CAN DO IT!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Crimson Avenger said:
Less than 15% of the population now smokes.
They all seem to find a spot near me in restaurants, at the poker table, etc. What is it that makes people need to chain smoke when playing cards?

You know what bothers me - and I bet it is amplified in the Solstice. When I'm driving in my car, I can smell the cigarette smoke from the person sitting in the car in front of me. I don't even need to see them smoking. I can smell it in the air. Does anyone else notice that?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I used to cycle to work and I could smell there was a smoker in the car that just passed me going 30 mph more than I was, with his windows on my side of the car closed!

So quit, commit what you would spend on smokes to buying gas for your new addiction. :thumbs:

·
Registered
48 Posts
how about this, answer the man's questions and quit trying to tell him how to live his life...we smoke, we enjoy smoking, and the only thing in life that is more enjoyable is to sit right next to some liberal jacka** that starts their little fake coughing fit as soon as i light up, and blow smoke onto their dinner for an hour...........mmmmmmmmmmm smoking, its like sex for your lungs.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
toby said:
how about this, answer the man's questions and quit trying to tell him how to live his life...we smoke, we enjoy smoking, and the only thing in life that is more enjoyable is to sit right next to some liberal jacka** that starts their little fake coughing fit as soon as i light up, and blow smoke onto their dinner for an hour...........mmmmmmmmmmm smoking, its like sex for your lungs.
Funny how the only excuse any smoker ever gives is "Don't tell me how to live my life because I enjoy it."

By the way, I am pretty far right-wing conservative and smelling cigarettes does truly bother me.

Yes, I can smell smoke in cars around me most of the time.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
I enjoy a good cigar once and awhile too, but no cigars will be smoked in my car. I find it's better to smoke while standing outside of my car at a cruise talking to all of the interested people gathered around asking questions. It takes about 45 minutes to smoke a cigar, but it takes about 1 1/2 hours to answer all of the questions asked about my car. :lol:

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Ex-Miata Man said:
I enjoy a good cigar once and awhile too, but no cigars will be smoked in my car. I find it's better to smoke while standing outside of my car at a cruise talking to all of the interested people gathered around asking questions. It takes about 45 minutes to smoke a cigar, but it takes about 1 1/2 hours to answer all of the questions asked about my car. :lol:
ALSO, cigars are designed to be enjoyed in situations with little or no wind. Un-even burn is the number 1 cause of bad flavor in a cigar. A properly lit cigar can take upwards of 30 seconds to light.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
toby said:
I was just making a suggestion, He can accept that suggestion or not it is up to him, what I said about it being good for the car is correct, do you know a car that has been smoked in brings LESS money when you go to sell it?
I guess that there are no Smoking Jacka**es that blow smoke in the direction on purpose of someone that is having a problem breathing (from your post I feel you are one of these).... or has been asked to please exhale in a different direction.
In my opinion smoking should only be allowd in private.. just as sex is in your comparison.....

·
Registered
48 Posts
live and let live (we smokers will not be around that long anyway)

There are many things in this world that bother me...the number one annoyance, children...I'm trying to eat my dinner at a nice place, and there is some snot nose kid that needs the crap beat out of him (oh no, dont hit a child, let them be freeeeeeeee)bothering me, do i have the right to ban them from eatting there, no i dont, when i am on a plane, some screaming little crumb snatcher is keeping me awake, can we ban them from the plane? no...we are surrounded by things that annoy us, all day, everyday, but do we say..um, i sorry ma'am but could you only keep you children in private and not this $50 a plate restaurant?..no, but when somebody is annoyed by a smoker, OMG, its time to have the city counsel to have a meeting and deal with the issue (because we all know that there is plenty of time for them to talk about crime, highway construction and education later.)...Its quite simple, as annoyed as you are WITH the smoker, I am sure that you have some habit that is just as annoying TO the smoker...deal with it, we do. If i got as angry with non-smokers for their annoying habits as non-smoker are with me, i would have no need for an ashtray, i would just be butting my ciggarettes into the ocular sockets of yuppies. :devil:

·
Registered
621 Posts
I would have to say most of the smokers driving around here feel that the road is their ash tray. So help me if I ever get a butt landing in my car :brentil:

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I smoke, and it's delicious.
Everyone I know smokes. It must be a Canadian thing.... Coffee and a smoke is one of life great pleasures.

·
Premium Member
9,964 Posts
Drex said:
I would have to say most of the smokers driving around here feel that the road is their ash tray. So help me if I ever get a butt landing in my car :brentil:
As a smoker-and a former Californian, I can say tossing butts out the window makes my blood boil-that's why ashtrays are there-use 'em, I do!! :devil:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts