Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
The pictures were removed by backchannel requests from GM Wilmington Assembly.

-Brentil

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
were they upset about our comments about the fit on the car? they are going to turn this plant into area 51 to try and bury these issues, better they should address them directly.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I just hope none of the Wilmington employees got in trouble for letting someone into a restricted area to see the cars. I'd hate to see someone busted for showing off the product they proudly make.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
nyca said:
were they upset about our comments about the fit on the car? they are going to turn this plant into area 51 to try and bury these issues, better they should address them directly.
They've already said there are issues with the top that they are working through. Some people were going off on rants about GM's quality based on seeing those pics of pre-production models. That's not how the final product is going to be released and they don't want it getting a bad reputation based on inaccurate assumptions. I loved the pics and like seeing new tidbits now and then, but I went in knowing that I'm seeing test subjects, not the finished product.

Think about having to go out on a first date with somebody as soon as you drag yourself out of bed in the morning instead of having time to shower and get ready. It's still you, but certainly not the first impression you'd want to create.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
If nothing else the pictures showed just how great the car looks in RED.

If it weren't such a cop magnet colour, I'd be changing my order.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
!

Why dont they want pictures of their car on here? I think that GM isnt proud of their fitting problems. And they dont want any more media talking about these issues. it just takes away from the car.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
from their perspective, they don't want autoweek to pick up a photo like that here and run an article with it titled "Fit problems plague Solstice". GM doesn't need any more bad press.

that aside, I am beginning to wonder now whether GM is going to be able to pull this car off successfully. look at the news today of layoffs, the price cutting, the inability to get these problems fixed and launch production on the Solstice - everyday that goes by, there is a higher odds of this car not "making it".

·
Registered
72 Posts
nyca said:
I am beginning to wonder now whether GM is going to be able to pull this car off successfully. look at the news today of layoffs, the price cutting, the inability to get these problems fixed and launch production on the Solstice - everyday that goes by, there is a higher odds of this car not "making it".
i'm bummed out by the see and think cops but, i suppose they have reasons that make sense. of course i already copied the photos to my solstice(s) folder minus the fenced photos.

the cited quote puzzles me...cutting costs, and stimulating sales are to be expected from a company facing problems. i don't know of any announcement that said we can't fix some finish problems and we are giving up...(afterall, we have never had finish or production delay problems and don't know what to do...) i see the glass half full...with everyday that goes by there are even higher odds that the finished product will be truly remarkable and a winner that helps restore the manufacturer to greatness. :cool:

·
Registered
600 Posts
2Xphoenix said:
. i don't know of any announcement that said we can't fix some finish problems and we are giving up...(afterall, we have never had finish or production delay problems and don't know what to do...) i see the glass half full...with everyday that goes by there are even higher odds that the finished product will be truly remarkable and a winner that helps restore the manufacturer to greatness. :cool:

You hammered this one. A near perfect product is what GM wants to put out. Not some rushed, fit plagued, product that the press can bash. I'm glad our posts are read frequently. We have had some great input so far. Just hope, as stated before, that no one got into any real trouble. We are just too starved for current pics and information! Feel our pain!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Fortyninenorth said:
If nothing else the pictures showed just how great the car looks in RED.
:agree: the red car looked great in those pics from the side. But my concern is with the view from the front. In the color-morphed pics, I just thought the front end looked a bit cluttered or something with the headlights, foglights, and grill inserts. I'm not sure if it was the size or arrangement of everything, but something just stuck out a bit more on the more colorful paintjobs. It all seemed to blend together more in the Sly color and I liked it better that way.

I really think the red car would have won me over if I could have only seen some more detailed pics of an actual red car, but none ever showed up. So I went with Sly. I might be kicking myself later when I see the red, because I think it may come across much better in real life. But I know I like the way Sly looks, so that's what I'm getting. I'd still like to see some thorough pics of the red car though (front and back).

·
Registered
381 Posts
mikefred1952 said:
You hammered this one. A near perfect product is what GM wants to put out. Not some rushed, fit plagued, product that the press can bash. I'm glad our posts are read frequently. We have had some great input so far. Just hope, as stated before, that no one got into any real trouble. We are just too starved for current pics and information! Feel our pain!
:agree:

And if it takes a little censorship to prevent the car getting a bad reputation, I'm ok with it, too, because what we're seeing now is NOT what we're going to be getting. We'll all benefit, in resale value if nothing else. Plus, I don't want the Sol getting a bad reputation if I'm going to be driving one. I want the entire automotive press to rave about it and not have quality nits to pick.

I do wish GM would give us a little more info, though.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I would think it was a lower level request to avoid discipline. Hell they already had an official open house where people could sit in the car and take pics, so what would be the difference? And if they are worried about magazine reports, I would think the magazines could have gotten the same info and pics as what we've seen so far.

I just wish they would take some official pics of all the colors from different angles with the different interior treatments. As was mentioned already, how are people supposed to make a comfortable descision to purchase without seeing what they are buying? I won't order a car until I've seen good pics of all the colors so I don't regret what I've bought. If GM did this people wouldn't bother to try and sneak peeks and they would prevent the pics with the quality issues.

·
Registered
251 Posts
If you want someone to want something...take it away from them! :)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Darkhamr said:
I would think it was a lower level request to avoid discipline. Hell they already had an official open house where people could sit in the car and take pics, so what would be the difference?
That was a UAW function, if I recall, so it may have been the result of some Labor-Management give & take, but you could be right about the discipline thing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts