Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy some new wheels for my '07 GXP. Before I start shopping around I wanted some input from the forum about where to look & which vendors to stay away from. Experience is worth its weight in gold!! :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Good question, depends on what you want to accomplish. With our weird-ass bolt pattern (5x110) and stock offset (+55) there aren't many reputable vendors who made/make wheels that fit. You can find all sorts of heavy, lower quality options and many go that route (just search the web for those specs (our hub bore is 65.1mm) but reducing wheel (unsprung) weight is one of the best overall upgrades you can make on any car from a performance aspect. It's way more money for quality wheels, upwards of 1k a piece, but for the strength, weight and custom size/offset options it's worth it to many.

Two reputable companies in particular offered light-weight (but still cast) 5x110 in our stock offset; OZ and SSR with OZ offering a few other sizes (like 19" as well as 9" widths) but they were limited runs and I don't know if any are still available outside of the used market. There was a fire-sale at the very end on Tire Rack with the SSR's dropping down to ~$125 each (which is when I grabbed mine) but many bought at retail (closer to 500 each for the SSRs and closer to 1k each for the OZ iirc). Those would be the best/simplest/cheapest option for quality.

For people who are lowered or require special dimensions there are a number of custom wheel companies out there that are making/have made big names for themselves:

CCW is the name in custom wheels and you can get almost any size and offset drilled specifically for your application but you pay for it. For this post, I'll take a set of CCW Classics with brushed faces and a polished lip if you're feeling generous :)
iForged is another.

I can't personally see spending 4k on wheels and there are a couple of companies I've been following like Team Dynamics and Forgestar. Team Dynamics is big on some European racing circuits and lat time I checked, offered their multispoke design in 18" and they'll make them in any offset you desire. I'm looking at closer to +42 if my measurements are correct but I need to test fit some to be sure. Forgestar is a company that's really gotten my attention recently. They're lightweight, not quite fully forged unfortunately but you pay $$ for that strength, and offer multiple designs in our size with some trendy options like concave faces or large lips depending on your offset. Just looking on the web at their resellers, prices look very affordable at around 1-1,500 for a full set of 18s.

Past that, none of the big names in wheels, BBS, Rays, Works, HRE etc. offer wheels in our bolt pattern at all, let alone super-high offset. You could always buy a set and have them filled and redrilled or run adapters but the latter will increase the offset that you're already fighting against and you're already pressed to find a wheel that'll fit without poking.

A gentleman on the KP forum just mentioned that 5x112 should fit on our hubs (I wasn't aware bolt holes had that much variance) and you could use pcd variant nuts (also called wobble nuts) so they fit the wheel face properly. We've talked about wheels here for years because of our unfortunate dimensions and I've brought that up a few times without any answer but that looks promising as 5x112 definitely opens up some options (common on some euros like Mercedes, VW, Audi etc.) at least in the world of good looking knock-off wheels as opposed to the crap you see made in 5x110.

Sorry for the verbosity, you caught me on day where i'm just waiting around on other people and I like talking about wheels

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No need to apologize for the "verbosity". I appreciate your input. You taught me more than I ever thought possible about our wheels. Thank you! :) Gonna start the search!!

·
Super Moderator
16,421 Posts
I have bought from Tirerack many times and like their service and available choices.

I am not interested in spending a ton of money on custom or special construction wheels. I want wheels that work well and are customizable to fit my particular needs.

I have multiple sets of wheels for different purposes. Daily driver wheels, show day wheels etc.

I have not found it difficult to locate wheels as our bolt pattern is shared with other higher production cars.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Agreed on Tirerack and even Discount Tire as vendors with great service records. My SSRs were from the rack.

I didn't mean it to sound like there weren't options, I just haven't found much I liked that were lightweight (I'm not even a huge fan of these SSR Comp Cs, just didn't want to spend twice as much on the Ultraleggras).

There are LOTS of 18" 5x110 out there (mostly lower offsets but you'll find a bunch that fit) and almost all will behave like a proper wheel and not explode or anything.

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
If you Are looking for stock wheels of a different flavor, I have had good luck with midwest wheel and tire and then having them widened at weldcraft wheels in Michigan.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found a ton of them on TireRack.com. I really liked the SSR's. Wish I knew about them when they were being blown out @ $125!

·
Registered
105 Posts
It took me a year or so to find a place or manufacturer where I could by wheels that were not "off the shelf" looking or that everyone else has.

I found DiVinci Wheels which are custom fabricated to my specifications and car. I get so many compliments and I am completely happy with them.

If you are interested PM me and I will give you the direct number to the VP who sold me the wheels, as I got them way below retail by going straight to them.

·
Registered
311 Posts
$125??? where? I've ordered from victoriatire.com before.

·
Premium Member
3,878 Posts
I have been buying wheels and tires from Tire Rack for years I have always been pleased with the service and the prices.Some pluses you can go to their website and log in with the type of car you have then you can see the wheels on your car right down to the color of your car .They have real world reviews on tires by customers so you get some idea how good they are.They also have a closeout section where you can get some great deals.They ship fast in my case I get what I order in two days.Bottom line they are reputable and stand behind their service and product the tires and rims on my car are from them.

·
Registered
311 Posts
True tirerack may have all that but when it comes to selections they lack alot :/

·
Registered
159 Posts
This thread could not have come at a better time, as I'm looking at wheels myself. Browsed TR today, found a couple I could live with, at a price I might be able to afford. But, they weighed 21/22 lbs. From China, made in "alloy"-cast aluminum would be my guess. Off the top, anyone know the weight of our stock wheels? I see no real point to changing, unless I can reduce unsprung weight. The stockers aren't that bad to look at.
I will look at the other vendors mentioned above, and thanks for the tips.
Oh, one thing-all the ones I found apparently require a "centering" gadget. Is this normal? Add weight?

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,496 Posts
This thread could not have come at a better time, as I'm looking at wheels myself. Browsed TR today, found a couple I could live with, at a price I might be able to afford. But, they weighed 21/22 lbs. From China, made in "alloy"-cast aluminum would be my guess. Off the top, anyone know the weight of our stock wheels? I see no real point to changing, unless I can reduce unsprung weight. The stockers aren't that bad to look at.
I will look at the other vendors mentioned above, and thanks for the tips.
Oh, one thing-all the ones I found apparently require a "centering" gadget. Is this normal? Add weight?
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/102892-post6.html

SolsticeMan said:
18" X 8"

Bolt Pattern = 5 X 110mm
55 millimeter offset
16mm bolt holes
35mm Center-bore or pilot hole diameter

Available as Painted, Polished, and Chrome, same outer surface and form, 5 spoke design.

Weight = 23.6 lbs for Painted & Polished, 24.6 lbs for Chrome.
The weights are correct, but the center-bore is wrong, I think the center bore is closer to 65.1mm, and our wheels are hub-centric.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/548768-post1.html

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/1020018-post9.html

·
Registered
256 Posts
You best bet honestly is to find a company that makes wheels in our pattern, and look to see if they have others. Then shop around.

Enkei makes a number of attractive, lightweight wheels that will fit our cars, and vivid racing.com has great prices.

·
Registered
256 Posts
You can also take your wheel hubs to a machine shop and Have them redrilled to a more common bolt pattern like 5x114.3 or 5x100 and you'll have more wheels to choose from than you could imagine.

·
Super Moderator
16,421 Posts
My experience has been that there are plenty of wheels around that will fit our cars and modifying the hubs has its own challenges for maintenance down the road. I have had better luck by finding a nice set of wheels that will fit and having them customized to fit my needs.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts