Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking through my records I found that my 2008 Solstice GXP Turbo Convertible was built in Wilmington, Delaware. Is this where all or most of our cars were built?

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
there are threads here on the forum that reveal 4 tours that were given at the Wilmington, DE plant in 2009 and earlier.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
Mine was built mostly in China... but assembled in Wilmington.

:devilish:
Yup - and Mexico and Canada and Japan.... I wonder of there is a list of the source of all of the components in the cars (or any modern car for that matter). I've had a couple of people that I twitted for doing the 'give me 'American or give me death' thing come back and tell me that at least they had an American car. Told them to look on the inside of their wheels some time - says 'Made in China'.

Then there was the poor guy that had his coupe repurchased by GM because it was impossible for the to honour the warranty after a vital electronic part became unavailable after the tsunami in Japan. And oh yeah - you are all driving around with German electronics in your car (take a look at the Bosch sensors some time).

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yup - and Mexico and Canada and Japan.... I wonder of there is a list of the source of all of the components in the cars (or any modern car for that matter). I've had a couple of people that I twitted for doing the 'give me 'American or give me death' thing come back and tell me that at least they had an American car. Told them to look on the inside of their wheels some time - says 'Made in China'.

Then there was the poor guy that had his coupe repurchased by GM because it was impossible for the to honour the warranty after a vital electronic part became unavailable after the tsunami in Japan. And oh yeah - you are all driving around with German electronics in your car (take a look at the Bosch sensors some time).
Wow...I am truly sorry I even asked this question.

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
It really gets confusing. The last ford I owned was assembled in mexico of parts from all over and the nissan I drive now was assembled in tennessee of parts from all over. Global trade and marketing is alive and well.

·
Registered
365 Posts
...I wonder of there is a list of the source of all of the components in the cars (or any modern car for that matter)...
Not quite a list of sources per se, but the NHTSA breaks down all cars by a percent of content (by value) that originates in the US/Canada and the rest of the world.

The solstice was 66% US/Canadian parts, while the sky was 65%. This places it towards the bottom of products from the big 3, and behind most of Honda and Toyota as well. It's actually about on par with most Nissan products.

Part 583 American Automobile Labeling Act Reports

It really gets confusing. The last ford I owned was assembled in mexico of parts from all over and the nissan I drive now was assembled in tennessee of parts from all over. Global trade and marketing is alive and well.
The first and second gen Nissan Quest was built in a Ford plant in Ohio by UAW workers. It wasn't allowed to park in the UAW/Domestic lots on site, but the Mercury Villager that was built in the same plant on the same line was. Similar things happened at GM with the Saab/Subaru relationship, even though only the 9-7x was the only product either ever built domestically.

·
Registered
365 Posts
The entire list is based on content value (to the manufacturer, at time of final assembly.)

For their purposes, an engine or radio is one part, and the entire value is considered to have originated in the country it is sourced from. For example, if your engine came from the Spring Hill TN Ecotec plant and cost GM $2,000, $2,000 would be credited to the US/Canada column, regardless of the foreign content in the engine assembly.

·
Super Moderator
7,544 Posts
Not quite a list of sources per se, but the NHTSA breaks down all cars by a percent of content (by value) that originates in the US/Canada and the rest of the world.

The solstice was 66% US/Canadian parts, while the sky was 65%. This places it towards the bottom of products from the big 3, and behind most of Honda and Toyota as well. It's actually about on par with most Nissan products.

Part 583 American Automobile Labeling Act Reports
Interesting. Both Solstice and Sky went up to 71% US/Canadian in 2008 and down to 61% in 2009 and 2010. Data glitch? Or did something change?

Attachments

·
Registered
365 Posts
In order to appear on window sticker of the car while it's being sold, they do estimate the expected take rate for options (LNF/LE5, Manual/Auto, etc.) It's possible that GM under or over-estimated something.

It's also possible that given the decrease in '09 and '10, a foreign based supplier moved production of a major component due to their own domestic plant closing or down sizing.

And of course there are always small rounding errors that might shift numbers a percent or two from year to year.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts