Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Since this thread has already taken a tangent: I like to reference the Kogod School of Business Auto Index. Although not hugely detailed in origins, it does at least take into account many of the factors of vehicle manufacture that are left off of the label and puts weight to those factors based on economy and employment contribution. The author does a pretty good job of explaining the methodology and recognizing the deficiencies of the study. I feel at least it provides a different and expanded perspective to the "What is American" discussion. Unfortunately, the study either doesn't go back to Kappa days or isn't available digitally for those years, but at minimum it's food for thought.

www.american.edu/kogod/research/autoindex/2019-auto-index.cfm

I am not affiliated with the study or University.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
There is nothing "american" about the styling. It's a modernized British roadster.

The only thing truly american about it is that it weighs 200lbs more than it should.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looking through my records I found that my 2008 Solstice GXP Turbo Convertible was built in Wilmington, Delaware. Is this where all or most of our cars were built?
My 2009 Soltice was built at the Boxwood plant in Wilmington. It was last year produced. I live in an adjacent town. Many of the plant workers live in the area and will stop me to talk about the car and tell me "plant" stories. They all seem to be very proud to have worked on this vehicle.

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
I think American content drops below 50% if you ignore the 'fudge' about 'let's pretend Canada is the same as the US otherwise our domestic numbers would look pathetically low".

PS - my BMW was made in South Carolina.

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
Interesting. Both Solstice and Sky went up to 71% US/Canadian in 2008 and down to 61% in 2009 and 2010. Data glitch? Or did something change?
From Phil his explanation I understand that a change in monetary value of various parts could already have changed the percentages.

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver&356Pcar.dirtbike,4wheeler
739 Posts
mine has a lot of germany labels on it and korean headlight. car companies have always outsorced parts .

21 - 29 of 29 Posts