Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where will the very first shipment go?

I'm curious...where will the first few Pontiac Solstices go?

How will it be determined which states get their's first?

:willy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
905 Posts
Elissa said:
Where will the very first shipment go?

I'm curious...where will the first few Pontiac Solstices go?

How will it be determined which states get their's first?

:willy:
I'm guessing by where the biggest sales were.
 

·
Founding Member
Joined
·
5,849 Posts
The 1st 1,000 are headed to their owners first. After that, those people (like myself) who were bumped out of the 1st 1,000 will get theirs - projected date early October. After that, the regular allocation owners will take delivery. So, based on earlier projection dates, delivery seems to be starting sometime in September. I have no idea how GM determines who the first person will be to get the 1st of the 1st 1,000. Alphabetical? Time stamp? :willy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,512 Posts
We have seen several threads where people believe that Solstice production will be broken into batches by color (example: Sly cars will be built first, then the next color, etc.) It is also possible that production could be batched based on the availability of certain options (example build all the cars without A/C first, then go into production for cars with A/C.)

It is my personal belief that production, and therefore deliveries, will be random, not keyed to any type of batching, as auto production lines don't really seem to gain any sort of efficiency anymore from batching.

Once dealers start showing VOM codes of 4000, "available to ship", we will get a better idea of production and delivery trends. Assuming of course that GM decides to release this info to the dealers. GM has already stopped showing code 3300 with Target Production Week, possibly because forum members were trying to use the info to predict production and delivery dates.

Some additional data on the GM Production codes can be found in Crimson Avenger's post in this recent thread, http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3006&highlight=5000
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
905 Posts
solli4me said:
The 1st 1,000 are headed to their owners first. After that, those people (like myself) who were bumped out of the 1st 1,000 will get theirs - projected date early October. After that, the regular allocation owners will take delivery. So, based on earlier projection dates, delivery seems to be starting sometime in September. I have no idea how GM determines who the first person will be to get the 1st of the 1st 1,000. Alphabetical? Time stamp? :willy:
That would make sense to do it by time stamp, but this is GM we're talking about :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,512 Posts
Adrenaline said:
That would make sense to do it by time stamp, but this is GM we're talking about :)
GM has already said that your time stamp will not have anything to do with which VIN you receive. I assume this means that time stamp won't have anything to with production order either, since I believe VIN's are assigned sequentially based on production order.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
After the first 1000 are delivered, all additional Solstices will be shipped to Canada to make up for the fact that we didn't get no stinkin' hats 'n posters!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
898 Posts
For pratical purposes I do not see Pontiac sending the first 1000 only-first. That would mean they would be driving all over the US to drop off just one or two cars at a dealer. Seems like a waste of money. It would make more sense if they droped off more than that to include some of the first alocations also. Much more practicle approach to the delivery of the cars. A company like Pontiac is in it for the money-----
 

·
Founding Member
Joined
·
5,849 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,312 Posts
First shipment is scheduled for NE Wisconsin. Since I am the only one I know of in the first 1000 here it must be mine! :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
535 Posts
Assumption

Zavean said:
For pratical purposes I do not see Pontiac sending the first 1000 only-first. That would mean they would be driving all over the US to drop off just one or two cars at a dealer. Seems like a waste of money. It would make more sense if they droped off more than that to include some of the first alocations also. Much more practicle approach to the delivery of the cars. A company like Pontiac is in it for the money-----
You are making the assumption that a car carrier from Detroit only carries one model. Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. Most likely the first thousand will be shipped first on trucks with other models. People closest to Wilmington will get theirs first and several days later the others will arrive out west.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,570 Posts
How would we ever know where the first delivery will be? Do you think they'll publisize that? I think it will all depend on options and colors as to which cars are built first, and therfore shipped first. Only some secret Solstice Forum spy working at the plant could let us know for sure the order of production, and maybe destination. Anybody here looking for a new job in the auto assembly business? :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
479 Posts
CoolOne2006 said:
You are making the assumption that a car carrier from Detroit only carries one model. Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. Most likely the first thousand will be shipped first on trucks with other models. People closest to Wilmington will get theirs first and several days later the others will arrive out west.
Hope your right CoolOne, I only live 100 miles from Wilmington, but I don't think it will work that way. If I am correct in my assumption GM said we would be getting one of the 1st 1000, that means they will be the first 1000 off the line. Not the first 1000 delivered. For instance in my case, I can see them delivering my Sol and the other guy who got one to my dealer. But I can also see his first allocation showing up on the lot at the same time.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
568 Posts
Here's a theory on how the shipments will be done...

1) Parts for radio type "A" arrive first at radio maker XYZ first.. so their production schedule builds them first... or.. it may have been the easiest one to assemble...

2) Upholstery fabric sand is harder to dye... so seats are slow coming out of the seat subcontractor... GM scheduling does all the fabric seats first because they were debugged first...

3). Color DEEP lays down the easiest. dries the best.. Therefore this is the first paint shipped in mass to the body plant....

4). The container with all the key fobs for wireless entry fell off the ship from Korea... They are all on back order. People that ordered Premium interior are pushed to the back of the pack until new fobs can be air freighted in.

OK it's all hypothetical, but what it all comes down to isn't so much where the cars are going to.. but when the parts for the various orders can be delivered... just in time of course... If the part supply isn't reliable then GM will put them at a lower priority. Some production planner is looking at what can be built with the least hassle. Perhaps by building the easier ones first, Pontiac can have a better time working out the inevitable production bugs..

I've gone through this scheduling and start up thing many times... and almost inevitably we never make the hardest thing first.... Once we feel things are controlled, then we'll start adding complexitites. But in the meantime... we'll get what makes the most PRODUCTION sense to GM..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
535 Posts
package said:
Here's a theory on how the shipments will be done...

1) Parts for radio type "A" arrive first at radio maker XYZ first.. so their production schedule builds them first... or.. it may have been the easiest one to assemble...

2) Upholstery fabric sand is harder to dye... so seats are slow coming out of the seat subcontractor... GM scheduling does all the fabric seats first because they were debugged first...

3). Color DEEP lays down the easiest. dries the best.. Therefore this is the first paint shipped in mass to the body plant....

4). The container with all the key fobs for wireless entry fell off the ship from Korea... They are all on back order. People that ordered Premium interior are pushed to the back of the pack until new fobs can be air freighted in.

OK it's all hypothetical, but what it all comes down to isn't so much where the cars are going to.. but when the parts for the various orders can be delivered... just in time of course... If the part supply isn't reliable then GM will put them at a lower priority. Some production planner is looking at what can be built with the least hassle. Perhaps by building the easier ones first, Pontiac can have a better time working out the inevitable production bugs..

I've gone through this scheduling and start up thing many times... and almost inevitably we never make the hardest thing first.... Once we feel things are controlled, then we'll start adding complexitites. But in the meantime... we'll get what makes the most PRODUCTION sense to GM..

Actually, the dealer told me not to order the two tone leather because they were being told that GM was having problems with the supplier.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,210 Posts
CoolOne2006 said:
Actually, the dealer told me not to order the two tone leather because they were being told that GM was having problems with the supplier.
That's the first we've heard that..hope it ain't true
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
568 Posts
Please keep in mind the points I made were ONLY hypothetical... none were based on any knowledge I had.. just making stuff up as I went along..

What I wanted to do was establish the type of logic and rules a production planner would use when setting up the line schedule. Rule #1.. the line never goes down due to lack of parts. (I bet this rule gets broken a fair amount tho).
 

·
Founding Member
Joined
·
5,849 Posts
package, that's a very dangerous thing to do considering our fragile states of mind at this point in production time. Don't believe me? Read about my solstice dream... :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
I would hope that Pontiac would deliver to the Northern States first. It would be nice if those of us up North could enjoy a few "TOP DOWN" days before the snow comes. Of course, that's probably too much to hope for. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,487 Posts
package said:
Please keep in mind the points I made were ONLY hypothetical... none were based on any knowledge I had.. just making stuff up as I went along..

What I wanted to do was establish the type of logic and rules a production planner would use when setting up the line schedule. Rule #1.. the line never goes down due to lack of parts. (I bet this rule gets broken a fair amount tho).
Yep ... I would think that any problems with receiving parts in time would have been alleviated by the delays due to fit and finish tweaking. If production had started on time, you may have been looking at some issues with lagging contractors. But by now, I'd think all the parts should be ready to go and just waiting the final order to start production.

Let's hope things roll smoothly and they start it up soon.
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top