Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since it is almost that time for those of us that will store our cars I was wondering what others are doing for storage. Will you keep your car at home or have to store it somewhere else? Will you be able to get to your car or have to say goodbye for months?

I have heated storage at home so I will be able to visit my Solstice and work on her through the winter. Still not as good as those lucky dogs in the warm states.

·
Sol Driving Member
2,597 Posts
ateam_77 said:
Since it is almost that time for those of us that will store our cars I was wondering what others are doing for storage. Will you keep your car at home or have to store it somewhere else? Will you be able to get to your car or have to say goodbye for months?

I have heated storage at home so I will be able to visit my Solstice and work on her through the winter. Still not as good as those lucky dogs in the warm states.

Mine is currently stored minus the vin number in GM's computer system. :lol: One of these days it will grow-up and show up here in Leavenworth.

When I finally get it home it will stay here in my garage and be driven year-round on dry, clear days.

·
Registered
90 Posts
No storage here... Dive it all year round.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
ateam_77 said:

My solstice will be in my garage at my house. It is not heated, but it is attached and covered by the second floor of my house, so it never gets below freezing inside. I don't plan to winterize the Solstice, and hopefully there'll be enough clear, dry days so that I can run the car frequently enough to exercise the engine.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Don't have my car yet, but I have already made plans and will be renting a storage unit year round. With my other vehicles in my garage I don't have enough room for a third car. Also, with my kids still young I don't need a new door ding from one of my other cars on my SOL :brentil: !!!!! I am sure some of you can relate to what I am saying, about our kids!!!!!

·
Registered
414 Posts
buckeyewilky said:
Don't have my car yet, but I have already made plans and will be renting a storage unit year round. With my other vehicles in my garage I don't have enough room for a third car. Also, with my kids still young I don't need a new door ding from one of my other cars on my SOL :brentil: !!!!! I am sure some of you can relate to what I am saying, about our kids!!!!!
We can relate!! :)

·
Registered
895 Posts
I was finally motivated to clear out the crap I have been collecting/storing in the 3rd space of my 3 car garage. It has been growing for 5 years. I made 2 trips to GoodWill and one to the dump. The space has been swept and vacant for 2 weeks waiting for my Sol. It is scheduled for arrival 10/26/05. That means I will have it by Thanksgiving if I am lucky.
Sitting Duck :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Storage

"Storage"???? that does not compute.....here in beautiful downtown Southwest Florida the best convertible weather is from October to May....Storage, don't be silly!

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
buckeyewilky said:
I have a 86 Grand Prix that I bought new and have taken very good care of in hopes of keeping it forever. The only real door ding it has is from kids in the garage :banghead:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Where else but the Garage Mahal

As luck may have it I bought a house with a Garage Mahal.
(six car garage). When we bought the house, I had no idea we would attempt to fill the garage but we're workin' on it.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
graybird said:
"Storage"???? that does not compute.....here in beautiful downtown Southwest Florida the best convertible weather is from October to May....Storage, don't be silly!

keep you head down at the moment...not so beautiful..with Wilma thundering through...good luck down there!!!!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Just put up a Instant Garage.
Hopefully I did it right .Will find out tomorrow a Northeaster is heading
to New England. Winds could hit 50 miles an hour .I sure hope I anchored
them right.Will put some extra bricks around it for support.
If its still standing this is were I will put my Solstice for the winter.

O-Ya Thats if my Solstice ever gets here.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I will garage it at home. No jack stands though. Instaed I will once a month start it up and run it long enought to get the oil warm and move a foot or two to prevent flat spotting the tires. Of course, a car cover.

Word of warning for those in the snow belt that are thinking about driving this car year round. You may want to think twice. Anything over about three inches of snow the lower front the Sol will be plowing.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Andrew Jackson said:
Just put up a Instant Garage.
Hopefully I did it right .Will find out tomorrow a Northeaster is heading
to New England. Winds could hit 50 miles an hour .I sure hope I anchored
them right.Will put some extra bricks around it for support.
If its still standing this is were I will put my Solstice for the winter.

O-Ya Thats if my Solstice ever gets here.

If what you are talking about is what I thinik just be careful about the snow. I have a friend that put one of those garages up that is like a metal tube frame covered with some kind of fabric and the weight of the snow collapsed it and damaged his cars.

·
Registered
511 Posts
ateam_77 said:
If what you are talking about is what I thinik just be careful about the snow. I have a friend that put one of those garages up that is like a metal tube frame covered with some kind of fabric and the weight of the snow collapsed it and damaged his cars.
I have the round top .
I will also keep an eye on it to make sure snow will not build up.
I have a snow rake. My brother has had one for 3 Winters no problems.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I will be storing mine at an off-site storage facility. I was told by the dealership to put plastic/cardboard underneath the car and put stabilizer in the fuel. They also said it would be good to start it at least once a month and let it run warm. There is a thread out here if you are more hard-core that has an itemized list of what to do to make sure your baby is well protected over the winter months.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Mine is a daily driver, even in this coming winter. If it snows too deep to go out, I won't. That's one advantage of being retired. :cool:

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Yea time to start thinking about this. Me, inside attached garage. I'm going to buy a battery tender thing to keep battery in good shape. I'll also get cover soon.

What about the tires, can they get damaged if not moved for long periods? Might have to run it around on dry days just to keep things working.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts