Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Which car would you most likely be buying if Solstice never came out?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 179 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Be honest, what would you be doing with your roadster money if there was no Solstice?

·
Read Only
3,468 Posts
If there were no Solstice...

I found out about the Solstice while researching the new Miata, so...

1) New Mazda MX-5 (Miata)
2) Mustang convertible

... and I've wanted a Mustang since my Mom sold the 1967 dark blue Mustang she was driving when I was eight.

--Chemist

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chemist said:
... and I've wanted a Mustang since my Mom sold the 1967 dark blue Mustang she was driving when I was eight.
I hear that, I've always loved the older 60's Mustangs (older kid next door had one when I was a a kid).

I voted new MX-5, that's the most likely source of what I would have bought if no Solstice.

·
Banned
69 Posts
mceb said:
Be honest, what would you be doing with your roadster money if there was no Solstice?
Well i already have an S2K that im sellin for the Sky or Solstice, so id either keep that, or
2005 Corvette with targa top
or
2005 SLK 55 AMG (although i would have to sell my M3 to do that though, and dammit im not doin that)

·
Registered
70 Posts
I was about to buy a GTO

I was going to test ride the 2005 GTO when the Salesman mentioned that they had just signed up for the EOP. I put my deposit down that day. I was not yet familiar about the ordering process, I just figured I was first at my dealership.

Anyway, I was thinking a dark blue GTO, and I was going to delete the new hood scoops. I realize I am in a minority, but I really like the way the 2004 GTO looks.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I'd be looking into a kit car. Probably a Factory Five Racing Cobra replica or possibly Daytona replica.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I selected nothing since I most likely would not be getting a roadster. However, I cannot say for certain, since I have also had an interest in the GTO. In fact, I almost closed the deal on one last December. I retrospect, I should have (with all the rebates available) but I decided I'd rather have the Sol.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I probably would have leased a 2-3 year old Mercedes Benz SLK 320 with low millage. Can't beat that retractable hardtop and v-6 power! BUT the Sol still looks better with those curves :devil:

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Nothing! I actually don’t need another car. I already have a 2000 Grand Prix, 2001 Tahoe, and a 2004 Trailblazer. I certainly don’t need a two seater when I am a family of 4. But I have been watching the Solstice since first introduced as a concept car. When I heard it had a MSRP of $20K, I said what the heck. I will get rid of the Grand Prix when the solstice arrives. So, in a sense, the Solstice drove me into the market.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
:agree: The Solstice is a totally impractical purchase for me - I should be spending my time getting the Javelin back on the road. But I've never had a convertible, and after driving past this damn Solstice billboard near my house for the last few months - I just have to have one :thumbs:

·
4,592 Posts
MSM for me :)

·
Registered
397 Posts
I was on my way to the dealer to buy a Saab 92X (great deals on those right now) when I called my ins. company. $2400/yr with my clean record. I said screw that, I am waiting till I am 25 (13 months) for any new car. By that time I should be able to get my hands on a Sol. I will be checking insurance prices from now on BEFORE shopping for cars.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have been in a '92 Civic for a VERY long time, and now I have given myself permission to "spend" about 70k on "new" cars this year. I am looking to go into a 2 car system, one for everyday use, and one for top down weather. Also, I plan on keeping these new cars for a very long time, so it's extremely important to find cars of "quality" and potential of longivity. If it were not for the SOL., I guess it would be:

New S2000...New Civic EX w/speed, and have it modified
-OR-
Pre-owned Porsche 911 Conv....and keep old Civic
-OR-
New M3 Conv. ...and keep old Civic
-OR-
Some variable of the above!!

Since the Solstice is looking like it WILL be here in a few months, I think I'll get a pre owned M3, or a new GTO.... The more I think of it, I should keep the old Civic around no matter what... to minimize the ware and tear on the new cars.

I don't know if the choice is so hard because of the long term committment, or if I'm just not ready to spend a large sum :willy: of money on new cars...that old Civic sure got me spoiled!! :lol:

·
5,600 Posts
Mustang V6 Convertible & not particularly happy about it. The Honda S2000 would be in serious contention, but it just isn't the ideal car for me. I'm hoping the Solstice GT (GXP) is.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
I currently drive a 1991 Nissan 240SX and all I care about is RWD. I just love how it pushes through the corners! Anyhow, my current bucket seems to be running down quite a bit. I bought it a year ago for $825 and I have since spent more than that just to keep the thing going. (As a matter of fact I had to have it towed tonight to the dealer, I have to get up and call them in the morning about why my car magically showed up at their doorstep in the middle of the night.) I had decided that I needed a better and more reliable car and had set my sights on saving up about 6-7 grand and getting a '96 240 in good shape with really low mileage. My mother's incessant nagging about "you need to get a new car, stop looking for a 10 year old car" always led to me saying "mother, I would but the only decent RWD cars out now are too expensive! 350Zs and G35s are around 30-35k!" And somehow, someway I found out about the Solstice and saw that it was less that 20k and ever since then I have been convinced that I'm getting that because it's the most affordable RWD car out there and DAMN does it look awesome!

1 - 20 of 179 Posts