Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Which car would you most likely be buying if Solstice never came out?

• Total voters
161 - 179 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
I already own my choices

Hyundai Genesis Coupe Ultimate Edition
It came with a bunch of stuff I had to add to the kappa.
350HP from the factory [ours is tuned, so it makes that at the wheels now]
7" Touchscreen Multimedia Center with Navigation and voice control of all audio, climate and navigation
Infinity Speakers
Heated seats
Track suspension
Brembo Brakes all around
Tune and Enkei Rims are the only mods we have in it, because it just did not need anything else.

The Genesis is the car that Rhy Millen's company built and he drove to beat his Solstice' Pike's Peak time.
If I remember correctly, it is the current champ in the 2wd rwd class, but the current driver was a competitor of Rhys'
So from a performance point of view, It is a beast and still in the $30k price range.

For those days when I feel 4 wheels are too much I have a

Buell XB12 Hybrid Firebolt with a Lightning rear end

for bad weather and winter, we have 2 Ford Escape SE AWDs
To be 100% honest, I never thought I would love an SUV so much, but these are just so comfortable and they come with a 278HP I4 Turbo that combined with the AWD have some pretty amazing off the line acceleration.
I actually test drove a non M BMW 200series AWD and went with the escape because it felt tighter on turns and had way better acceleration. The technology in the Escape [Ford Sync 3 with Android and Apple play] made the BMW feel like it had an etch-a-sketch. Come on BMW, it's 2016

I too love that Alpha Romeo 4c and the Jaguar F-Types.

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Just bought the car I was looking for to replace my old turbo Fiero in 2009, but couldn't find - BMW Z4M coupe. Makes a nice pair with my Solstice coupe.

I would also have considered an S2000 - ton of fun, but I do prefer a closed car.

There aren't a lot of other sports cars out there these days. Sedans (Camaros???!) do not qualify One of the only other ones worth considering, though at a much higher price, is the Porsche. I seriously looked at a Cayman, but the only one I'd want (GT4) is huge money up here. I also looked at an Acura NSX (old one, not the new one)

PS - before anyone suggests a new Miata or Fiat 124, they are nice cars but don't have the kind of performance I'd be looking for.

·
Registered
6,636 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
We just picked up a 2017 Ford Focus RS with the winter wheel package
The engine, AWD and suspension on this car are to die for.

It's the wife's car and I will say, I am jealous.

·
Registered
6,636 Posts

Does she let you drive it? And does she ask you not to rev it so high when you do? (Just going by my own experience with wifely cars). ;)

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,379 Posts

It's an awesome little car from everything I've seen!

:dthumbs:

·
Registered
590 Posts
She does let me drive it, and when I put it into drift mode she went
"O Hell no, at least not before I do that!"

I really could not argue with that.
LOL

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
New or late model used Corvette! In fact the local Chebby dealer has a 2011 Corvette convertible, 3LT, one owner on the lot right now. Mouth is watering but price tag and Momma says no...$35, 400.

Thought about taking the Solstice over for a swap price but do not think I would make out all that well...

·
Premium Member
10,348 Posts
That is way to high for a 2011. 2014's are going in the 40's.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,379 Posts
So, seeing as this is an 11 or 12 year old thread, today I would probably be looking at a new Fiat 124 Spider, otherwise known as a "Fiata".

My son, an engineer employed by FCA, just got one in Abarth trim, and likes it quite a bit.

:thumbs:

·
Registered
590 Posts
Those are really nice cars. The high HP snobs will poo poo it as they always do, but true objective car enthusiasts will appreciate it for what it is.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I drove a Regular 124 (not an arbath) great looking car, handled well but the little engine seemed to have a dead spot just below 5000 rpm, really annoyed me. Drove a new Miata, liked the way it drove hated the way it looked, both cars were around $31,000. Started looking at Solstice's and found the Mallet I bought for $5000 less, very happy I shopped around.

If I had to pick another car I would go with a 1st gen RX7. So I am the odd guy out as usual

·
Registered
343 Posts
But do you know the name of the monster on your can?
FYI - One of my all time favorite episodes of any cartoon.
Of course I know Gossamer's name. When I was a kid he was one of my favorate guest character's along with K9

161 - 179 of 179 Posts