Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend is looking at a 2008 SKY Redline with 32,000 miles. I told her to wait and look for a SOL (either 2.4 or 2.0).

What do you think? As far as parts, service, performance (longevity), quality, etc. ... which do you think would be a BETTER choice: 2008 SOL or 2008 SKY?

Also, which will hold value better? The 2008 SOLSTICE or SKY (assuming "like for "like engines?"

And if she remains in "stubborn" :willy:mode, is the Redline 2.0 Turbo worth how much extra (on the average for a super clean car) over the 2.4 engine?

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
I would think it's purely personal preference. For reliability, they are the exact same cars underneath, built on the same production lines, so the only differences are exterior and interior panels.

As for value, again, there's not much in it (and no-one can forecast what happens down the road). There were less Sky's made than Sol's apparently. Don't know that that means much.

Personally I prefer the Sol's exterior and Sky's interior - but the exterior won out.

DEFINITELY get the turbo version though :)

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Ditto. Because they are mechanically identical underneath it comes down to a look thing. That, and some believe the SKY's basic interior was nicer; plus basic Kappa SKY was more expensive than basic Kappa Solstice. I've always thought the Sol was a classic design, whereas the SKY more trendy, some see it as the other way around. Along with some thinking one design is more masculine/feminine than the other. The 2.4 vs 2.0 decision is easier, most everyone agree's if someone is more performance orientated spending more on the 2.0 is a no-brainer, plus with the GMPP it takes the OEM 260 up to 290, whereas your have to purchase major add ons to get the 2.4 to run with it. Just always remember condition always plays a big part as it relates to value.

If possible park each side by side, that usually helps in the looks department.

BTW, search for; auto or manual ? :devil:

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
The turbo in either is the way to go. Either car will be a blast to drive and whatever choice she makes will be decided by her taste in design. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Either way ~ go for a GXP or a Redline

For what it's worth, they built about twice as many Pontiacs before they killed the assembly line during the so-called GM Baliout.

·
Super Moderator
7,526 Posts
I think that the only valid question in choosing between the Sol and the Sky is, as has already been stated, personal preference. Anything else is speculation, and won't matter for years anyway.

There were fewer Skys built, but there is a perception of inferiority (as you demonstrated) of the Saturn vs the Pontiac. Future value ? Flipping a coin may help. On the other hand, why pass up what you prefer now in the hope that it may be worth a little more some day ?

The base Sky cost more than the base Sol because it came with more standard features. That is also the reason that the Sky's curb weight is listed as higher. Comparably equipped, the cars and their prices are pretty much the same.

The turbo was originally priced $4k higher than the 2.4. The differential now seems to be closer to $3k.

Overall, cars with the 2.4 seem to be more reliable than those with the turbo.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
There seem to be more parts available for the Solstice as well simply because there were more built. As others have said though mechanically, they're the same.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I like them both and I had no preference on which one, nor did I care if it was manual or automatic. The Lord sent me a Sky with a 5 speed and I must say that He did a great job!

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,475 Posts
There seem to be more parts available for the Solstice as well simply because there were more built. As others have said though mechanically, they're the same.
From MY2007 on to the end of production in 2009, they were pretty much identical mechanically. The 2006 Solstice suspension was a bit stiffer than the 2007s.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Just get one of each. :D

·
Super Moderator
16,390 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
612 Posts
I almost bought the Solstice after the first came out, then I seen a Sky; it looked, well, different, in a good way. The dash on the Solstice I was looking at seemed cheap looking and lacked some pizzazz. Also, I think because of how the dash wraps around you on the right, it seemed more confined than the Sky. I ended up waiting for the Sky and well, the rest is history. But it really gets down to personal preference as they are mechanically speaking pretty much identical.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What about body parts like fenders, etc. Where would a body shop get them in case of a fender bender?

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
What about body parts like fenders, etc. Where would a body shop get them in case of a fender bender?
The same resources they use for any newer damaged vehicles, and why popular vehicles do have advantages over niche vehicles.

Problem lifelong Kappa owners are going to run into is when the insurance companies start making the determinations that the costs of the repairs outweigh the insurance companies stated value of the vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
7,526 Posts
SkyPilot : GM is on the hook to provide parts for a few more years
No, they aren't. Not body parts, at least.

An automobile manufacturer is required to provide parts for the length of the vehicle's warranty. For most of the car that is 3 years. Emissions-related components are generally warranted for 8 years, and safety equipment for 10.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts