Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I very much appreciate all the great info here about how to do the various mods. My question is, which ones give the most benefit for the dollars spent?

I have a 2006 Solstice. It had about 15K miles when I bought it and the original owner had it loaded when he bought it new. It has all the factory extras. Then he added an upgraded intake and exhaust.

I added a Westers Garage ECM, door and console pads, and a wind restrictor.

I've seen various mods for lights, internal and external. I've seen wheel hub extenders, electric turbo add-ons, stubby antennas, and so forth.

I don't want to waste money on stuff that doesn't add performance, appearance, or convenience - so I'm asking you, the EXPERTs, for your opinions about about which mods to add.

Thanks! John in Indiana

·
Premium Member
2,210 Posts
I would start with handling and get a Backbone and ProBeam. Makes a lot of difference. Have fun and enjoy your ride.

·
Super Moderator
16,540 Posts
WM and I agree. The first mod I added to both our cars was the DDM ProBeam. Huge improvement in handling. The backbone is useful and came next.

With an NA, you are pretty limited on mods that will add significant HP gain without going to some form of boost. DDM has a proven family of products that provide supercharger kits. Hahn, Werks and DDM have turbo kits that can also provide a lot of bang for the buck

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
:agree: Sort of alternate between handling and power on your way up the "mod ladder". It keeps the car balanced between power and handling. You've already got some more power, so begin with the chassis mods that will help keep the car planted to the pavement. As for power? TurboSuperCharger or Beltdriven Supercharger or engine swap. As for chassis? front, tunnel, and rear stiffeners, stronger sway bars, sticky tires. As for punch-per-dollar? depends on current sales promotions, deals, and what power level you wish for. Everything is on the forum and/or the vendors sites.

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
Well, we're in the interior/exterior functional/appearance forum so I'll start by asking - what are you trying to improve upon? Looks? Convenience? Performance? (All of the above? lol)

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
I would start with handling and get a Backbone and ProBeam. Makes a lot of difference. Have fun and enjoy your ride.
Ditto + DDM Engine Brace (or LV engine brace), coilovers or lowering springs for handling & appearance. For stopping power; DDM brake kit. For engine power; DDM Supercharger (I, II, III), and then upgraded clutch because it's not going to be a matter of if, but when.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Once you sort handling and braking, the best mod is the addition of FOUR MORE CYLINDERS!

·
Premium Member
4,006 Posts
Best place to look is the owners registry you can get a good idea of what mods work on these cars and it gives you a starting point as far as suppliers next go to the classifieds as we are always changing our cars and have parts for sale It has been invaluable tool to me in my quest to modify my car. And last but not least the forum there are so many people on this site that have knowledge as to what works and what does not.

·
Registered
153 Posts
One of the best mods that I did was install power door lock switches inside. How could the master designers at GM forget this little convenience? I guess they learned eventually, but missed the 2006 production.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Performance, appearance, and convenience? How about safety? One of my first mods was to replace the stock outside rear view mirrors with Muth Signal Mirrors. If I screw up and start to change lanes when someone is hiding in a blind spot, I at least have a chance they will notice before we meet in the same lane.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Muth Mirrors

I looked at Muth but didn't see the Sol listed. What model number did you use to get one that works? Seems like a great idea!

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have made a few mods to my ride, I like the Trifecta tune,but that is because I wanted the extra boost but the best overall was the Pioneer AVICX940 which has been replaced with the 950.The radio is great,hated that GM radio ,kept shutting the radio off with my hand when shifting,also it has a very nice GPS system which I added traffic tuner,xm tuner and back-up camera with grid.My next item I am thinking of is a mirror that displays temp and compass.Just an opinion,hope it helps a bit.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I'm in Flagstaff for NASSM and the paperwork for my Muth Signal Mirrors are at home. I'll let you know next week or you can just call and they should be able to find the numbers for the Solstice.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Mine's not flashy but it is VERY USEFUL.

I suggest the garage door opener mod. Very inexpensive ($4) but used every day. No longer have to search for remote or have to clip it on some interior car part. Mine's not hardwired (battery powered) but works great every time.

Now, if you don't have a garage, well then..............:)

·
Registered
715 Posts
Mods... The hardest part is not what to start with but when do you stop. I've enjoyed everything I changed because I enjoy reading about it, find a good deal and changing myself.

Suspension mods are great but hold on to your current items until you know you are happy with the new items. Sway bars in particular but the probeam, backbone and front chassis braces are a must (some will debate but just my opinion).

Appearance mods are just for your taste. Whats the best for you? :dunno: Just when I think I've seen it all an old thread pops up with great ideas.

Performance is about what do you want to spend? Turbo's, superchargers, tunes and V8's... Where do you want to go and how fast do you want to get there? Just because you have an N/A doesn't mean you can't get the power but how much do you want to spend for it? Our Vendors can get you there.

Find a mod, read up on the threads about the experience of them and go for it. :thumbs:

·
Registered
311 Posts
Mods... The hardest part is not what to start with but when do you stop. I've enjoyed everything I changed because I enjoy reading about it, find a good deal and changing myself.

Suspension mods are great but hold on to your current items until you know you are happy with the new items. Sway bars in particular but the probeam, backbone and front chassis braces are a must (some will debate but just my opinion).

Appearance mods are just for your taste. Whats the best for you? :dunno: Just when I think I've seen it all an old thread pops up with great ideas.

Performance is about what do you want to spend? Turbo's, superchargers, tunes and V8's... Where do you want to go and how fast do you want to get there? Just because you have an N/A doesn't mean you can't get the power but how much do you want to spend for it? Our Vendors can get you there.

Find a mod, read up on the threads about the experience of them and go for it. :thumbs:
Quite well spoken! I think what to remember the most is how deep are your pockets how long do you intend to keep the car? Quick reminder is you will never get the money back you spent on it so make sure you really do enjoy the car.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts