Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well now that we have had a couple of Sols on the road for a week or so, has anyone experimented with the different octanes?

Heard a discussion on a local radio show the other day that quoted an unnamed source at GM saying that the octane makes very little difference in the performance of cars. Has anyone else heard or read anything on this?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
shabby said:
If an engine is designed to run on 91 octane and you fill up with 87 you will loose power due to the timing getting pulled because of knock. Everyone will tell you this.
You dont see people at the drag strip running 87 fuel, they fill up with some 110+ octane unleaded or some c16 race gas.
Yea, but how much power, it is rate for 0-60 7.1 secs. would it be 0-60 7.5, or could it do permanent damge to the engine?

·
Registered
81 Posts
del_utz said:
Yea, but how much power, it is rate for 0-60 7.1 secs. would it be 0-60 7.5, or could it do permanent damge to the engine?
For me it's not so much a HP issue, as it is an engine damage issue. If running a lower octane causes knock and detonation, that can't be good for the engine over the long run.

·
Registered
504 Posts
LITHA will only drink the highest octane-93,94 depending on brand.My cycles all drink the good stuff,only my truck sips 89.So I'll have to knock over a few liquor stores on my way to the pumps. :lol: :cool:

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
del_utz said:
Hard to say, who knows how much timing gm pulls when you use low octane gas. I figure anywhere from 10-20hp might be lost on the sol when using 87 octane gas.
There wont be any damage to the engine, gm recommends 91 octane but it isnt required and it'll still run fine with 87... without some of the pep of course.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
In 1986, I had a Mitsubishi Starion w/ intercooler.

From time to time I would pay 2.99 a gallon for gas. At the time I thought was a great price.

But that was for Cam 2 GT unleaded. 100 octane.

The best part was within a thousand rpm's short of redline. The car just kept pulling.....no sputter, just unadultered spontaneous combustion.

Now I'm paying 2.99 for 92/93 and it stinks.

Does anyone know what Cam 2 GT is selling for these days?

Must require a platinum card to purchase.....or a second mortgage :willy:

This gas station used to sell 115, 117 and 118 octane leaded Cam 2

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
At the Detroit event, Lori Queen said she puts 87 into her tank. I asked her about the performance of using 91 instead. She said there is not a noticable difference unless you take a stop watch and clock 0-60. She said save your money and get regular gas.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Or not, Todd.

With the Honda motor in the Saturn Vue, they state 87 octane required, but the engine gains almost 20% (yes, you read that right, 20%) in torque if you fill with 92 octane, after about a tank.

This directly from a powertrain engineer that works on the Honda V6 that is in the VUE.

Nothing about it in the owner's manual. It is quite noticeable.

Go 4 it, it's only $10-15 a month extra, or half or a quarter of your cable bill (depending on your driving habits and cable subscription). Or it is two to three grande Starbucks lattes a month.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Leave it to the engineers to keep everyone honest! :yesnod:

solsticeman said:
Or not, Todd.

With the Honda motor in the Saturn Vue, they state 87 octane required, but the engine gains almost 20% (yes, you read that right, 20%) in torque if you fill with 92 octane, after about a tank.

This directly from a powertrain engineer that works on the Honda V6 that is in the VUE.

Nothing about it in the owner's manual. It is quite noticeable.

Go 4 it, it's only $10-15 a month extra, or half or a quarter of your cable bill (depending on your driving habits and cable subscription). Or it is two to three grande Starbucks lattes a month.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts