Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Pick the radio option you will pay for...

• ($0) Standard Radio/CD (ONLY)

Votes: 22 17.6%
  • (~$150) Upgraded Radio/CD with MP3, etc. (ONLY)

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • (~$375) Upgraded Radio/6 DISC with Monsoon speakers (ONLY)

Votes: 24 19.2%
  • (~$300) Upgraded Radio/CD with MP3, etc. AND MONSOON

Votes: 40 32.0%
  • (~$625) Upgraded Radio/CD with MP3, etc. AND MONSOON AND XM

Votes: 11 8.8%
  • (~$700) Upgraded Radio/6 DISC with Monsoon speakers AND XM

Votes: 20 16.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We know that the radio options are as follows (I am guessing on the dollar amounts, but I think they are fairly close)...

Standard ($0) - Sound system, ETR AM/FM stereo with CD player, includes seek-and-scan and digital clock (NOT XM compatible)

Optional (~$150) - Sound system, ETR AM/FM stereo with CD player and MP3 playback, includes Radio Data System (RDS), seek-and-scan, digital clock, auto-tone control, speed-compensated volume and TheftLock

Optional (~$375 [reflects upgraded radio and monsoon speakers]) - Sound system, ETR AM/FM stereo with 6-disc CD player/MP3 playback, in-dash, includes Radio Data System (RDS), seek-and-scan, digital clock, auto-tone control, speed-compensated volume and TheftLock (must be combined with Monsoon speakers)

Optional (~$200) - Sound system feature, Monsoon premium speaker system, includes amplified 7-speaker audio system, 2 6-inch door speakers, 2 1-inch A-pillar tweeters, 2 3.5-inch rear speakers and 1 subwoofer

Optional (~$325) - Sound system feature, XM Satellite Radio, features 68 channels of 100% commercial-free music included in its over 130 channels of the best in music, news, sports, talk, comedy, XM Instant Traffic & Weather, and more. Digital quality sound with coast-to-coast signal coverage. Three trial months - no obligation.

Assuming my guesses on the prices are correct, what would you order? Please only answer this if you are serious about getting a Solstice, and remember, you are dealing with your own REAL MONEY here. Pick wisely...

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
If the upgraded 6-CD MP3 radio + Mansoon system only costs about $375 I would get it for sure. From comparing with other cars I was expecting to pay $400 just for the 6-CD changer, which forces the Mansoon so I was expecting that to be like another $400. Which would have made it overly expensive for my budget since they're not priority items. So I was planning on getting only the MP3 single CD player, with no Mansoon, and no XM. The reason I wasn't going to get the XM was because I won the Roady2 on the findthemessage.com give away so I could use it in the car (once it arrives). However if you're right about the ~$375 cost then it's in my budget and I would get it since I love listening to music.

·
5,600 Posts
brentil said:
If the upgraded 6-CD MP3 radio + Mansoon system only costs about $375 I would get it for sure.
But if they put the 6-CD changer in it, there won't be room for anything else in the trunk! :spam:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I have the upgraded single disc CD in my GMC and its nice. I will opt for the Monsson if not too pricey.

·
Premium Member
10,404 Posts
I had the Monsson on a 1998 GTP and a 2000 TransAm and it was great, so I am getting that feature with the CD changer but no XM, or ON_Star and only because the location of the antennas.

·
Registered
753 Posts
the one thing my (bmw convertable driving) cousin told me to purchase with my roadster was a premium sound system. he claims that he can be in a traffic jam but with the top down and the radio on there is no place he'd rather be. i opt for the mp3 capable with the monsoon speaker instead of the 6 disc changer because i'm mostly interested in the 'aux' port for an ipod.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I sure hope your prices are close but, with my "Hope for the best, Plan for the worse" philosophy, think they might be way low. I'm thinking they might be as much as twice the prices you quote. I want the upgrade radio and Monsoon but no XM or 6 disc changer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree that my price estimations may be a little low, but it's too late to change the poll now!

Also to answer a couple of posts...

1. The aux port should be available in at least the 2 uplevel radios. I'm not sure about the base radio.

2. The 6 disc radio has an integrated changer. Precious trunk room will not have to be sacrificed!

I'm definately wanting the Monsoon speakers, and at least the midlevel radio. I'm still debating on the XM. I have it in my other car right now and love it, but I'm not convinced I should get it in a Solstice just yet.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
plasmaloaf said:
I'm definately wanting the Monsoon speakers, and at least the midlevel radio. I'm still debating on the XM. I have it in my other car right now and love it, but I'm not convinced I should get it in a Solstice just yet.
Just save your money and buy a Roady2 or some similar portable XM device. That way you can use it in your car, at work, at home, in whatever new car you get, etc. I think some companies make little stands for them that go in the car, if not it probably wouldn't be to hard to have someone make.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is there any difference in sound quality between the portable XM thing (Roady2) and integrated XM? Does the Roady2 work by tuning the car's radio to a certain FM station? Would it be able to work thru the input jack?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Although I spec'd out the XM Radio and the upgraded single CD player on my Autobook pre-order....I think I'd go for the 6 cd changer if it has an AUX input for XM or MP3 player. Definately the Monsoon speakers.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
plasmaloaf said:
Is there any difference in sound quality between the portable XM thing (Roady2) and integrated XM? Does the Roady2 work by tuning the car's radio to a certain FM station? Would it be able to work thru the input jack?
I believe you can hook it up via the AUX jack, which would then make sound quality dependent on the stereo system as long as you get good reception. Now if the built in car XM device supports like 4+ audio channels or some such special features I don't know. I think I'll go look it up right now actually.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Thanks...please look that up. If the AUX input for an XM2GO radio doesn't have the same quality as the XM radio option (4 channel?...you mean like surround sound?)...then I'd go for the XM radio.

·
Registered
154 Posts
If they are sending a digital signal out at 50 Khz max, I would think either player would sound the same. The signal is what counts. and though 50 Khz is not great, both should receive it the same assuming they are connected to the same external antenna. The XM2Go has an internal antenna which may not be as good, but I think can still be connected to an external antenna. Either way that would just cause it to cut out more frequently, not degrade sound quality. The further south you are the less you should see any dropouts. If you live in the southern third of the US I've heard it shouldn't even drop out in tunnels and other problem areas.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
After getting my Roady2 I realised it was different then what I htought it was. This is the car kit, not the portable kit (you can get a portable kit for the Roady2 though). You can plug it in via cassete adaptor or FM modulation. However I'm betting you could use that same otuput line as a AUX line if you get the right cable. I'm not sure yet, I'll have to look into it more. The ammount of work and possible quality issues you would get, it might be just best to go with the XM built in.

·
Premium Member
10,404 Posts
brentil said:
After getting my Roady2 I realised it was different then what I htought it was. This is the car kit, not the portable kit (you can get a portable kit for the Roady2 though). You can plug it in via cassete adaptor or FM modulation. However I'm betting you could use that same otuput line as a AUX line if you get the right cable. I'm not sure yet, I'll have to look into it more. The ammount of work and possible quality issues you would get, it might be just best to go with the XM built in.
But do you really want that ugly PINPLE in the trunk of this beautiful roadster?.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
LatinVenom said:
But do you really want that ugly PINPLE in the trunk of this beautiful roadster?.
If I get it I plan on making a color matching aero cover to go on top of it.

·
Premium Member
10,404 Posts
brentil said:
If I get it I plan on making a color matching aero cover to go on top of it.
I just can not see any thing on top of the car surface that was not in the original concept, the lines of both the SOL/SKY are just to gorgeous to mess with, to bad GM did not come up with an other way to mount the antenna that could not be seen.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts