Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On our GXP solstice cars, with no mods, stock 18in rim, all 4 tires are the same size and brand, not a aggressive driver. Under these conditions, The front tires should wear faster than the rear set? right?

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
It depends on driving style, just because you don't think you're an aggressive driver doesn't mean you aren't. I rank myself as a somewhat aggressive driver, the guys I work with say I drive my car like I'm driving Miss Daisy! :) For me, I live in an area where there are a TON of lakes, so no road runs straight, they all twist and turn, so technically, my fronts should wear out first. If you get more then 2 pounds of boost when you accelerate, you're in my book, aggressive. If your rears are wearing faster, and you aren't aggressive, you have a 4 wheel alignment issue.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
As a rule of thumb it is the drive wheels which get the most wear and tear. That used to be the back in the olden days of rear-wheel-drive cars. More recently most cars are front-wheel-drive thus more wear on the front.

My old '67 Mustang (390ci) used to go thru the rear tires real fast compared to the fronts.

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,733 Posts
Don't forget to rotate!
I rotate my tires every time I drive it! ;)

On a more serious note, I'm running directional tires with 245 up front and 275 in the back. No rotating for me... :)

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
As a rule of thumb it is the drive wheels which get the most wear and tear. That used to be the back in the olden days of rear-wheel-drive cars. More recently most cars are front-wheel-drive thus more wear on the front.
With modern cars left stock and biased towards understeer, the front tires will most likely wear faster, even with rear drive. That is, of course, unless you tend toward doing burnouts!

But jeff's right... if possible, "don't be late, rotate".

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all, i just bought a 07 GXP, that has a little deeper tread at the front, i thought the dealer must have rotate them, but not sure. I drive kind aggressive, saw boost at one to 3 pound range on the streets, plus, i figure turning at speed and breaking, the front ought to wear faster.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Got me on that one. How much taller are your rear tires?
I'll check the exact specs when I go out to my car, but it shouldn't be too much difference. The back tires have a "lower profile" (in other words pretty much the same sidewall) to compensate.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I'll check the exact specs when I go out to my car, but it shouldn't be too much difference. The back tires have a "lower profile" (in other words pretty much the same sidewall) to compensate.
If you have the 275/40s they are essentially the same :thumbs: about a half a millimeter shorter.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
If you have the 275/40s they are essentially the same :thumbs: about a half a millimeter shorter.
Yup, did the same math. I was surprised just how close they were... I was expecting a couple millimeters...

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Stock is 18x8, right? Then I have 18x9 in the back

·
Registered
70 Posts
front tires most always wear faster because the point the car in the direction it is going.
so if you make more left turns, the left tire will show more wear on the left side tire, and vise a verse

1 - 15 of 15 Posts