Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

What type of Pillar Gauge Pod set-up do you want?

• Triple Gauge Pod - I want to know everything I can!

Votes: 229 55.6%
  • Double Gauge Pod - 3 gauges is too much!

Votes: 83 20.1%
  • Single Gauge Pod - I just want to know one thing...

Votes: 17 4.1%
  • What is a pod? Does this have anything to do with the Aliens? And who is iPod anyway?

Votes: 83 20.1%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
brentil said:
The Corvette has a HUD option that does those types of things. I believe the Grand Prix and Rendezvouse (I know the Rend does) have HUD options also. I was very dissapointed that the Solstice was not given an official HUD option.

The problem with HUDs is that unless the dashboard is designed from the start to accomidate one it's very difficult to make one that will produce quality images due to placement.
Then that's where I would want them. With an "on demand" switch so that I could see them when I wanted and not other times.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Slicer said:
Then that's where I would want them. With an "on demand" switch so that I could see them when I wanted and not other times.
I believe the GP and Corvette ones are customizable. You can choose from various items to show on the list. The Rend one was kinda neet, if you had XM as a GM option it showed the station + info in the bottom of the hud for you.

·
Banned
8,656 Posts
Why not replace both large gauges with triples or fours?

The left one with speedometer, fuel, battery, one more.

The right one with tachometer, water temp, oil temp, oil pressure?

I've seen multi-gauges before. Of course, they have to be such that they can be read at a glance, so that's a big consideration.

Make the speedometer and tachometer full size over the top of the gauge, better visibility, and the other gauges would be smaller on each side of and the bottom of each full-size gauge.

Can anyone see the current fuel gauge indicator at night time? Why didn't they make the pointer visible at night?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I want all 3! Would like oil pressure, water temp and boost. Volt is nice but I could live without it probably.

In my Saleen, I added oil pressure and water temp gauges in a small cluster inside the center console vent's. It came as a package with smaller vents around the gauges. Looked nice and functional, while being out of the way.

For a pic of what it sorta looked like (think I had a different style slightly, but looked very similiar) clicky linky.

http://www.egauges.com/vdo_acce.asp?Subgroup=Ford_Mustang_Gauge_Cages_1987-1993&Cart=

Edit: Going back and looking at the pic's of the Solstice, they have the small round vents. Not sure how that would work with the gauges, darn it. Not to many places to squeeze gauges in.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Pillar gages

I would be interested in oil pressure, oil temp, and a digital voltmeter :cool:

·
Banned
8,656 Posts
Hey, Gravana, any progress on your gauges for the Solstice?

Have you been inside the car to see how the OEMs look?

It's a single circuit board with everything printed on the surface and the indicators sticking through, all 3 are electric gauges.

Sure would like to replace all that with real mechanical gauges:
tachometer
speedometer
fuel level
water temperature
oil pressure
voltmeter

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Pillar pod is okay if no other place can be used. I would think that a molded pod could be fitted to the center portion of the dash with the gauges pointed at the driver. Hopefully whatever is developed can be used on Sols AND Skys.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would be interested in boost and a/f ratio. Somewhere other than the pillar. On my 944T I have them under the radio and I really like that, but there isn't a good place for them in the Solstice.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Why not replace the CD head unit like AzetekzRpurty and Totty did and stick a gauge cluster in the empty space? Granted it's not the most ideal spot, you have to look down a bit.

Are there any nav systems that could display engine info as well?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Yes, kinda...Pioneer's AVIC-N2 and 3 have a vehicle dynamic system inside of their DVD Players. But it's limited, it gives you speed and corning speeds/G's. I don't know how accurate it is, but they do have it. Do a quick search on Pioneer's site for more info!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I would be willing to may more for multiple features. I am currently getting rid of my 350 and really love my digital readout mounted on the dash. Either way I vote to stay away from the pillar.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Gauges Recessed in the Pillars or in the DIC

I would love to have the gauges recessed in the pillar on the drivers side. I would also like them to have a cool blue or red illumination just like the interior. Also for those who do not want the gauges in the pillars, the same information should be in the DIC.

:seeya: E :seeya:

·
Registered
365 Posts
Sue and decided there was no need for a pod (boost gage) as why should we carewhat the boost is? I could see a need if we modified the turbo and needed to be careful about applying to much boost, but as it is now I figure the car either runs correctly or not, and if not it goes back to the shop. I really don't need another gauge to keep an eye on , I have enough trouble just trying to keep the bugs off my teeth as I drive.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts