Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just wanted to know your choices for the wheels. Painted or polished?

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Some people like the painted for simplicity (easy to clean) or the believe not being so shiny helps keep the focus on the body of the car.

Some people like the polished because, well, they believe they look nicer (especially with the darker colors) or because they wanted something else to raise the price of their order.

I personally chose the polished because they look absolutely stunning (especially on my Mysterious) and they aren't too much to look at (like Chrome).

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
Pontiac_67 said:
Hi, I just wanted to know your choices for the wheels. Painted or polished?

Thank you!
IMHO, I like the Polished, but the chrome could work ... depending on your paint color. I do not think that the Sol needs any "distractions" and I think the chrome would scream "look at me" ... JMHO

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
I prefer painted for a few reasons. Easier to clean didn't come to mind when I was ordering, but I'm glad that they are! :D I also just got them because polished ones don't make the car any faster or handle any better. And also I like them because they will stand out even in the dark, whereas polished wheels will reflect the blackness of the night and look dark while the painted still stands out and completes the look even in the oddest of lighting situations. If I had ordered black I'd have gotten polished cause that's just sweet, but since I got red I felt that the painted would go better with the red.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Polished- they look great on the against the Sly

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Pterosaur said:
Painted...closely matches the windshield and trunk frame. Like the uniform look.
:agree:

That's the only thing that kinda perturbs me about this car is that the door handles are chromed. There's nothing else on the car that that goes with. I think they did that so more people would order the polished wheels to offset the door handles. :lol:

I'm not saying I wish the door handles would match the windshield and rear piece, I think I'd rather they actually be body colored. But then again, in many peoples eyes that would detract from the classy look of the car.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Guess I'm the only one that likes chrome wheels, I just think they look better and are easier to clean than the polished ones...

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I like the painted wheels on my Red 1145. I put 3 coats of NuFinish on them, when I waxed the car last week. They match the windshield molding real nice, and they shine awesome. I can't complain. 1145 so far, is more than I ever expected in a G.M. car. I now own one of each from the Big Three.
Mitch :)

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Critterman said:
Guess I'm the only one that likes chrome wheels, I just think they look better and are easier to clean than the polished ones...
I like the 5 spoke chromes too but was constrained at order time. Anyway Pontiac_67 didn't give us that choice. He could change this thread into a poll and list the three availble installed plus the funky dealer installed chromes, and maybe add teh pics for side by comparo and then we'll all vote.

·
Sol Driving Member
2,597 Posts
Critterman said:
You are not alone. I went for the chrome because I think it will look better with Mysterious as well as being easier to clean. Now if I can just keep the wife from tagging a curb all will be OK...at least it will be once it is delivered.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry if I didn't put the chrome wheels in the choices. I think chrome wheels are not in option in Canada.. but I'm not sure..

·
Registered
230 Posts
dori-san said:

That's the only thing that kinda perturbs me about this car is that the door handles are chromed. There's nothing else on the car that that goes with. I think they did that so more people would order the polished wheels to offset the door handles. :lol:

I'm not saying I wish the door handles would match the windshield and rear piece, I think I'd rather they actually be body colored. But then again, in many peoples eyes that would detract from the classy look of the car.
Don't forget the eyelets for the roof wing-thingys, they're chrome too. The Polished wheels are my choice. If anyone wants to see why go check out Coggin at Regency (if you live in Jax) They have 2 on display, one with polished, one with painted. The polished looks about 10x sharper. (Maybe dealernut will post some pics, but you really have to see them in person.)

·
Registered
729 Posts

I prefer the polished wheels!!

Then the painted ones!!

After that, the chrome ones!!

- bspate -

·
Registered
121 Posts
Just an FYI on the GM Polished wheels...

I know with the C5 Corvette, the polished Aluminum rims tend to "cloud" up over time... Not sure if the Solstice rims would have the same issues.. but you never know.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I've had nothing but high praise for my polished wheels, so ... make mine Polished!

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Chrome wasn't available when we ordered the 1st K Sols......I got painted because they are easier to clean than polished and I can order aftermarket wheels if desired. See picture....#242....Deep, two toned and notice the dealer installed mud flaps too.....nice touch I think.

Attachments

·
2,574 Posts
Critterman said:
I agree. I am getting chrome. I have seen painted and polished side by side and looked them over long and hard. (there are pics here somewhere of Excellsior and another together to compare) The painted just don't look quite as good when compared in person. (and I'm no kid who's nuts about chrome everything, 22" chromers on huge black SUV's etc.) Polished are very cool. the chrome are a wee bit shinier (it's a cleaner reflection) and are the easiest to keep clean. (the last opinion was shared by pros that I asked) I'm getting aggressive which I feel handles the chrome perfectly, no distraction from the car/paint as has been mentioned, at all. The chrome were actually quite a bargain ($695.) when I ordered them. Up $100. for any order dated after 9/21/05 I think.;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Red and chrome just go together!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts