Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Convertible !
second.

With apologies in advance to coupe lovers, I know the coupes are more limited in # and may have a better possibility of becoming a collectible; but they are not as unique in design as the convertible is to other convertibles as compared the coupe is compared to other coupes.

just my opinion though. i'm not going to take it further at the risk of running into a coupe lover in a dark alley. :wink:

·
Registered
104 Posts
I own both a coupe and a vert. Love the vert for driving, bought the coupe because it is so darn good looking. Wanted a coupe since I first saw the concept car.

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
Ditto, own both, the vert is a 2.4 manual, and the coupe is the GXP Auto. If I had the chance to do it over again I would have went w/a GXP manual, and a vert auto. But if I had to sell one, it would be the vert.

Resistance is futile.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
I have a 2007 GXP manual vert with lots of mods and a 2009 Auto GXP Coupe. Love them both. Just wish the Coupe was manual. If I had to sell one..... I don't think I could.

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
The choice might be as simple as, do you really like convertibles? The coupe is a pretty cool car but for me if I have the choice between a coupe and a convertible and everything else is equal, I'll always pick the convertible. In your case, with the coupe being a 2.4 and the convertible being a GXP that would really make the the decision easy for me... convertible all the way! Now if I could have one of each, I would probably want the two you are trying to decide between.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
The choice might be as simple as, do you really like convertibles? The coupe is a pretty cool car but for me if I have the choice between a coupe and a convertible and everything else is equal, I'll always pick the convertible. In your case, with the coupe being a 2.4 and the convertible being a GXP that would really make the the decision easy for me... convertible all the way! Now if I could have one of each, I would probably want the two you are trying to decide between.
You have my hard top so you don't need a coupe!!!:smile2:

·
Premium Member
1,994 Posts
I have both a coupe and convertible. Both are 09 GXP autos. I want nothing to do with a petal car and really wouldn't go back to an NA. So I really didn't answer your question. Personally I think the coupe with top off is just as great as the convertible. If I had to sell one, I'd go crazy!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've got an 07 Redline 5 speed and an 09 GXP Coupe Automatic.

They're both beautiful, and I won't part with either of them....0:)

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
We bought our first one, for one reason and one reason only. CONVERTIBLE. I know the Solstice Coupe is rare, but I have an FJ Cruiser that I call my coupe! Plus far more usable.

And I am another that has two sticks and one auto, and I really do not care to drive either of the sticks to be honest. But look for any excuse to drive the convertible auto.

Different strokes for different folks.

But as others have said, you really can't go wrong, unless you are looking for HP. Then the NA is way down the list from the GXP/Redline/GT

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Not too troubling a decision for me.

I don't own automatic sports cars (although I do own one grand touring car with an auto), and I don't particularly like the styling of the convertible Kappas (no offence to all the hump lovers out there). I tend to take my cars on long trips and coupes are much nicer for that.

On the GXP vs. NA issue, I drove both and as my focus is always performance and as the NA is pretty ho hum (no offence to any owners - we get the same discussion on the MG boards about early vs. late performance gutted MGBs), the GXP is the only one I was interested in.

I watched the Solstice right from 2006 (look at my join up date - 2007) and was interested in them as a possible eventual replacement for my 88 Fiero GT that I had owned since 1990, but it wasn't until I saw the coupe in 2009 that everything clicked and two days later I owned a GXP coupe with 5 speed.

So my answer to your difficult question is that I would reluctantly buy neither.

·
Premium Member
10,305 Posts
I have both, a 2007 GXP convertible and a great 2015 Z51 3LT stingray coupe. No way would the Solstice ever be a coupe.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I really do like the Rarity of the coupe, but want some sort of hp. I want people to look at it and say I have never seen that before this is coming from a guy who owned many Shelby Mustangs, hellcat,scat pack, 5 SRT GC. Now by no means am I trying to replace any of these cars just giving you a little history I've also had to Pontiac Trans Am 79 and 80 and have loved this Roadster since the day it came out. To be honest I think the Saturn sky has a more miniature Corvette look to it but also love the Pontiac.

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
I bought one for the wife, her Redline is Kawasaki Green/Apple. She hates the Mallett, will not even ride in it. Calls the FJ the blue thing and will only drive it if forced. But her Redline is a stick and she loves it unless she has to go West of Beaumont. Likes the stick but only on the mountain roads. She won't drive the yellow car, because I am too critical of her driving ability when she drove it once. So I get to have my cake and eat it to I guess.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts