Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I was waiting for the Sol to make it to my door, I elected to buy a used 2001 Honda S2K to ride around, and maybe even make a few bucks on to help pay for the Sol.

Bad News: I love this car, and am thinking seriously of keeping it and canceling my order for the Sol.

It has a trunk.
It has a spare tire.
The electric powered top looks nice and does not leak.
It scoots down the road and revs something sinful.
It has very nice black leather interior.
It has power windows and remote locks.
It has high discharge headlights.
It has air conditioning and nice sound system, and
It only cost me $18K, and is like new. Still under warranty, even.

I have to give this some serious thought. I really do not relish driving a car that everyone wants to stop and talk about, and yet this red beauty is very easy on the eyes, and it is a Honda, which will run like a rabbit for a lot of years. Which is faster or corners harder is not an issue for me. Oh yeah, the insurance will be about 1/3 less, too.

On the down side it does require the high test gas . . . but that is pretty small negative given all the pluses, above.

I cannot wait to hear what the die hard Sol folks will do to this! ;)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Whatever turns your crank, man. Judging from all the reviews though, you might want to drive the Solstice before you really make up your mind. Take your order, drive the 2 for a month, and sell the one you like least. I can't imagine a Honda that's made to rev around 9 grand will last as long as an Accord, even if it is a Honda. And currently Ecotecs are wiping the dragstrips with Hondas. On the other hand, with the ~$6000 you save on the S2k, you could really trick it out. Enjoy, either way. :cool:

·
Registered
292 Posts
I haven't been waiting that long so have fun and drive carefully. Got a feeling you won't be the last to jump ship if Solstices don't start shipping soon on a regular basis. :cool:

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
AZJuez said:
While I was waiting for the Sol to make it to my door, I elected to buy a used 2001 Honda S2K to ride around, and maybe even make a few bucks on to help pay for the Sol.

Bad News: I love this car, and am thinking seriously of keeping it and canceling my order for the Sol.

It has a trunk.
It has a spare tire.

I have to give this some serious thought. I really do not relish driving a car that everyone wants to stop and talk about, and yet this red beauty is very easy on the eyes, and it is a Honda, which will run like a rabbit for a lot of years. Which is faster or corners harder is not an issue for me. Oh yeah, the insurance will be about 1/3 less, too.

On the down side it does require the high test gas . . . but that is pretty small negative given all the pluses, above.

"If you can find a better car buy it."

·
Registered
227 Posts
Well...sounds like you found a roadster that meets your needs. I think you made a smart and educated choice. Some of us Solstice affectionados are swayed a little too much by the emotion and passion of the moment. I'm sure we'll become more critical of the car as owners. Either way I'm sure we'll all enjoy our respective cars. I started looking at the Lotus Elise online....wow, loved the colors and the minimalist interior....although it's a little to exotic/racy for a daily driver sure looks fun. I think the Solstice has the right blend. Hopefully, they'll re-design the gas tank and trunk and introduce a turbo/supercharged...perhaps a special racing addition Bob Lutz V8 in 3-5 years when they've got all the kinks worked out.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yeah I've been looking at the Auto Trader for a used S2K or a low mileage Miata also. The Sol is so darn good looking though. Hard to make my mind up.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That Honda engine

As to the comment about the Honda S2K engine designed to redline at 9K, that does not mean you have to wind it up that far to have fun. I have yet to take the thing over 5K and I have had a ball driving this car as a daily driver. If the engine is designed so well as it can redline at 9K and you take good care of it, I would suggest it will last a very long time.

Also, I have found on the local freeways, this car tracks like nothing this small I have ever driven, and I have owned a few very nice sports cars in the past, including several Porsches.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Savings actually came to around $8K once you added in the sales tax and registration in Arizona. I bought this from a private person, and so I paid no sales tax, and since the car is used the registration was less, too. And, yes, I can do a lot with $8K, like save it. The car performs just fine right now, box stock.

This is a tough choice . . . no doubt.

;)

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
AZJuez said:

It has a trunk.
It has a spare tire.

I'm going to stop on my way home tonight and sit in an S2K. You may be right. A tried and true sports car for $6,ooo less. Thanks for the nudge. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've driven an S2K (but not one with the 2.2 liter) and while I haven't driven the Solstice yet, the feel from the driver's seat is very similar. Carmax has an ample supply for very little money. What you don't get is the newness of the Solstice, and while it has style, it is aging. What that's worth, I'll leave up to you. Also, with the S2K, you know what you're going to get, as it has no options. Every one is exactly the same save color.

As for the drive, the car is a little too peaky for my needs. Honestly, a f/i Solstice to me would be preferrable, but I can see the S2K love too.

Tony

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The Comparison is not totally equal between S2K & SOL

It is important that everyone understand I am comparing a USED Honda S2K, with 30K miles on it to a NEW Solstice.

This comparison sways in both directions:

The Honda is a proven product with great reviews by those who have owned them, for years.
The Solstice is new and untested.
The Used Honda S2K is Used, and thus it does have 30K miles on it, although with a Honda, that is barely broken in.
The NEW Honda S2K is selling now as a "bargain" at around $31 K out the door, but the good used ones can be had for $10K less.
Folks who have owned the S2K seem to take pretty good care of them, as there a bunch out there to be had in excellent to great condition, with low miles on them . . all for less than what you pay for the Sol.

All are factors to consider. Once you sit in one you like the feel.
;)

·
4,592 Posts
OUR NUMBERS GROW STRONG :jester:

Warning: A good hold-me-over may be a Sol deal breaker :devil:

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
"Just a little fix, baby. Something to keep me going..."

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
RODEO said:
OUR NUMBERS GROW STRONG :jester:

Warning: A good hold-me-over may be a Sol deal breaker :devil:

PITCHFORKS AND TORCHES!

KILL THE TROLL!!!!!!!!! :willy: :willy: :willy:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You people have lost your minds!

Fortimir said:
PITCHFORKS AND TORCHES!

KILL THE TROLL!!!!!!!!! :willy: :willy: :willy:

We are talking about cars here . . . not the violent overthrow of civilization as we know it! You need help!

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
AZJuez said:
We are talking about cars here . . . not the violent overthrow of civilization as we know it! You need help!
*adjusts tie* Excuse me. I don't know what came over me.

I mean, I can't argue that you got your S2K for $18,000. That's a smoking deal for a smoking car. It doesn't tickle my fance or emotions like the Solstice, but I am pretty sure you'll be pleased either way you go.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Boy, you had me worried there for a minute.

Fortimir said:
*adjusts tie* Excuse me. I don't know what came over me.

I mean, I can't argue that you got your S2K for $18,000. That's a smoking deal for a smoking car. It doesn't tickle my fancy or emotions like the Solstice, but I am pretty sure you'll be pleased either way you go.
You are right on the money. And, when it comes down to the money, I am leaning toward keeping the S2k and canceling the order for the Sol. Yes, indeed, the Solstice does evoke great thoughts of pushing it around on back roads and it is a great looker. That is why the choice is tough. That is why folks are torn by many priorities . . .

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I was down to S2000 or Solstice back in April

I cannot disagree with your logic as my choices were a used S2000 or a new Solstice. Unfortunately, the price point for a used S2000 here is high because the current list for a new S2000 is $48.9Can as a result of our previously sucky dollar. They aren't about to change that, so the used ones go for around $30k for a 2000 or 2001. So in other words around the same price as a new Solstice.

With price gone, it is down to used (potentially abused 5-6 year old S2000) versus a new Solstice. I actually don't like the high revving engine sort of a British v. Italian bias or Harley v Honda. Hence the Solstice wins that one.

Lastly, I wanted a car for touring around in (had considered a used XK8 but the reliability is scary) so didn't really want anything twitchy, and I believe the SOL comes out ahead there too.

But to each his own.

Right now an AWD vehicle is starting to look good with Fall arriving in 5h 14 minutes. :willy:

·
Registered
167 Posts
AZJuez said:
The bottom line is.... do what makes you happy. You are the one driving it and you are the one that knows what best fits your needs. I like the S2000, but I think it looks old and it is too expensive. I like the looks of the Solstice better and I would rather have something new. Good luck on your decision and enjoy your Honda!!!

·
4,592 Posts
AZJuez said:
I forgot the usual disclaimer....

[old inside joke]

Fortimir knows of it, looks like AZJ might not, it's all in fun! :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cannot argue with that . . .

Fortyninenorth said:
I cannot disagree with your logic as my choices were a used S2000 or a new Solstice. Unfortunately, the price point for a used S2000 here is high because the current list for a new S2000 is $48.9Can as a result of our previously sucky dollar. They aren't about to change that, so the used ones go for around $30k for a 2000 or 2001. So in other words around the same price as a new Solstice.

With price gone, it is down to used (potentially abused 5-6 year old S2000) versus a new Solstice. I actually don't like the high revving engine sort of a British v. Italian bias or Harley v Honda. Hence the Solstice wins that one.

Lastly, I wanted a car for touring around in (had considered a used XK8 but the reliability is scary) so didn't really want anything twitchy, and I believe the SOL comes out ahead there too.

But to each his own.

Right now an AWD vehicle is starting to look good with Fall arriving in 5h 14 minutes. :willy:
I have never understond why you brothers and sisters get so reamed by the dollar exchange when it comes to cars in Canada. You can find very nice Honda S2Ks here in the States from $18K(US) to $20(US) all over the country, with low milage. And since the first S2K came out in 2000, most are only 2 or 3 or 4 years old, and when a car has only 10K to 30K on it and is that young, you have to talk with the owner to see how he treated them.

Like the man says, different strokes for different folks. Come on down to Arizona and buy your car and take it home . . . if you are allowed to do that.
Arizona cars have not seen snow, salt or rust . . . great bargains for the money.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts