Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Moderators why not set up a forum for all the whining going on this site. GM creates a new platform and vehicle in record time and it seems a lot of the people here fail to appreciate that fact. For what its worth if you want to place a deposit down on a car 6 mths, 9 mths a year before its in production and it doesn't show up on your doorstep as soon as you like its not GM's fault. This is corporate American the land of Supply and Demand and the bottom line is making money. As far as I can tell GM had done a reasonable job of living up to their promises especailly production relating to the first 1 k cars. They have set allocations informed their dealers and seem to be close to achieving those goals too. Ignorance of the GM distribution system in not a cause for whining. I can certainly appreciate disappointment at not having one of these in time to drive it before winter sets in I share that myself but frankly when I went to the dealer to order my car it was with the thought of having it here for the spring, it was plesant suprise when the dealer told me I would probably have it before the end of the year. As far as the over MSPR whining if you don't want to pay over MSPR then don't sign on the dotted line. I don't see someone holding a gun to anyones head making them buy a car for any price. If cars continue to sell for over MSRP that means that the resale of our cars will be that much higher in the future, remember that supply and demand thing again. If any of this is really a shock to someone then its way past time you need to open your eyes and appreciate the world for what it is. There are good dealers and bad dealers good cars bad cars, you vote for that with you wallet and where you spend you money. GM sold over 20 million dollars worth of Solstices in 40 some minutes back in april and a lot of people seem to think they'e doing everything wrong, GM is smiling all the way to the bank. Lastly one of the things that is great about america is the protection of our rights to free speech and to, yes, right to whine. In a way I'm doing that myself as we type this but I visit this site for information not to read about someone's personal unrealistic expectations.

·
2,574 Posts
Not a bad idea. The forum certainly needs to continue to be a place for folks to commiserate about problems and issues, but it does get depressing when you can't avoid it. Probably would be an improvement if it were contained. . ;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Call it the "Whiner's Forum"......not to make fun ....i havent been here long enough. I know what its like to wait on a car you have had on ordered for awhile. It blows big time. I ordered my S2000 which are built in Japan and that took 3 months....and there's no shortages of those

·
Registered
119 Posts
z3404 said:
In a way I'm doing that myself as we type this but I visit this site for information not to read about someone's personal unrealistic expectations.
Amusing. Whining about whining. Not that I'm whining about whining about whining. :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Z3, you are new here with only 12 posts, so maybe you are not aware of the many people with vins below 500 not having a car. I am one of the fortunate few who has their 1K car, but I can fully empathize with those who don't. It's frustrating for those with very low vin numbers to not have a car, and yet see others with high vins taking delivery. The waiting and the mystery of what happened and where the cars are is taking it's toll on many people. When we saw vin #1 delivered in Detroit, we thought the rest of the 1K cars would follow soon after. We saw hundreds of cars on the lot in Wilmington in August and it's understandable why people are getting impatient. I check the "vin and the list" daily and there are too many people waiting for cars with vins below 500. Those of us who have cars keep telling those without how great the car is ... the waiting is hard, I'd like to think we're on the forum to support each other.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Call it "The Whinery".

Can I get you some cheese with that? :lol:

·
Sol Driving Member
2,597 Posts
For the whiners in the group. Print this file and post it on your monitor...

·
Registered
667 Posts
wife of cdb said:
Z3, you are new here with only 12 posts, so... the waiting is hard, I'd like to think we're on the forum to support each other.
Well I am not new here and the whining is getting old. It maybe well justified in the minds of those in the time squeeze between their order and winter, but just what did those folks really expect? I don't recall a domestic launch of a new platform that didn't take awhile to get sorted out. It is one thing to support each other through the wait, but it's another thing all together to take shots at Pontiac and anybody associated with this new platform. Just take a deep breath and consider if Pontiac didn't try to get the Q-C / Q-A right? What if they just started cranking out cars regardless of quality (cira 1970-80's)? Holding cars, recalling cars, and generaly walking on eggs trying to sort out all the things that show up during a new vehicle during launch is a tough deal for everyone! From the plant manager in Del. right down to those here waiting on their car here. They (Pontiac) also know full well that no matter how hard they try that there are going to be "issues" on these first cars. I thought most of us knew that was going to be the case, yes? It's best that everyone not loose sight that this single platform has a lot to do with how and if GM survives as a viable manufacturer of automobiles in the future. They need to do whatever it takes to get these cars right. If this means you have to wait for this to happen...so be it.

·
Registered
479 Posts
z3404 said:
Hey Moderators why not set up a forum for all the whining going on this site. GM creates a new platform and vehicle in record time and it seems a lot of the people here fail to appreciate that fact. For what its worth if you want to place a deposit down on a car 6 mths, 9 mths a year before its in production and it doesn't show up on your doorstep as soon as you like its not GM's fault. This is corporate American the land of Supply and Demand and the bottom line is making money. As far as I can tell GM had done a reasonable job of living up to their promises especailly production relating to the first 1 k cars. They have set allocations informed their dealers and seem to be close to achieving those goals too. Ignorance of the GM distribution system in not a cause for whining. I can certainly appreciate disappointment at not having one of these in time to drive it before winter sets in I share that myself but frankly when I went to the dealer to order my car it was with the thought of having it here for the spring, it was plesant suprise when the dealer told me I would probably have it before the end of the year. As far as the over MSPR whining if you don't want to pay over MSPR then don't sign on the dotted line. I don't see someone holding a gun to anyones head making them buy a car for any price. If cars continue to sell for over MSRP that means that the resale of our cars will be that much higher in the future, remember that supply and demand thing again. If any of this is really a shock to someone then its way past time you need to open your eyes and appreciate the world for what it is. There are good dealers and bad dealers good cars bad cars, you vote for that with you wallet and where you spend you money. GM sold over 20 million dollars worth of Solstices in 40 some minutes back in april and a lot of people seem to think they'e doing everything wrong, GM is smiling all the way to the bank. Lastly one of the things that is great about america is the protection of our rights to free speech and to, yes, right to whine. In a way I'm doing that myself as we type this but I visit this site for information not to read about someone's personal unrealistic expectations.
I suppose this is a fine Kentucky whine? :lol:

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Main Entry: 1whine
Pronunciation: 'hwIn, 'wIn
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): whined; whin·ing
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English hwInan to whiz; akin to Old Norse hvIna to whiz
intransitive senses
1 a : to utter a high-pitched plaintive or distressed cry b : to make a sound similar to such a cry <the wind whined in the chimney>
2 : to complain with or as if with a whine
3 : to move or proceed with the sound of a whine
4 : the sound a Mazda MX-5 makes at 6000 rpms
5 : the sound a Mazda MX-5 owner makes all the time
Whining? we don't need no stinkin' whining.....

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Well Stated!

wife of cdb said:
Z3, you are new here with only 12 posts, so maybe you are not aware of the many people with vins below 500 not having a car. I am one of the fortunate few who has their 1K car, but I can fully empathize with those who don't. It's frustrating for those with very low vin numbers to not have a car, and yet see others with high vins taking delivery. The waiting and the mystery of what happened and where the cars are is taking it's toll on many people. When we saw vin #1 delivered in Detroit, we thought the rest of the 1K cars would follow soon after. We saw hundreds of cars on the lot in Wilmington in August and it's understandable why people are getting impatient. I check the "vin and the list" daily and there are too many people waiting for cars with vins below 500. Those of us who have cars keep telling those without how great the car is ... the waiting is hard, I'd like to think we're on the forum to support each other.
Very Well Stated! :agree:

·
2,574 Posts
=Cooler King]Amusing. Whining about whining. Not that I'm whining about whining about whining. :)[/QUOTE]

:glol: :glol: :glol: that is very funny!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Chip said:
Well I am not new here and the whining is getting old. It maybe well justified in the minds of those in the time squeeze between their order and winter, but just what did those folks really expect?...It is one thing to support each other through the wait, but it's another thing all together to take shots at Pontiac and anybody associated with this new platform...If this means you have to wait for this to happen...so be it.
It's not the wait Chip, I was told 9 months ago it would be October before I saw my car. I'm O.K. with that. Pontiac's complete lack of communication during this wait time is not excusable. As a customer I take offense at the "shut-up and wait" attitude I am getting from GM. If not for the kind souls on this forum I would know nothing about the car. Take shots at Pontiac?, I don't think so. Bad customer service is bad customer service, as a paying customer you have the right to speak out about it. This long time GM customer is starting to ask for a little more than the simple "honor" of being allowed to purchase a car.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Pterosaur said:
It's not the wait Chip, I was told 9 months ago it would be October before I saw my car. I'm O.K. with that. Pontiac's complete lack of communication during this wait time is not excusable. As a customer I take offense at the "shut-up and wait" attitude I am getting from GM. If not for the kind souls on this forum I would know nothing about the car. Take shots at Pontiac?, I don't think so. Bad customer service is bad customer service, as a paying customer you have the right to speak out about it. This long time GM customer is starting to ask for a little more than the simple "honor" of being allowed to purchase a car.
The mountainous, nay Universe-sized jolt of irony created by the above post has literally blown my mind. My headless body is now typing this message by sheer reptilian spinal cord response amid the gory scene of my detonated brain matter sliding down the monitor screen.... I-I thought this was a thread about not whining? About being adults and waiting in the cue and such? Ah, well, guess I'll head on down to Sleepy Hollow....

·
5,600 Posts
wife of cdb said:
The waiting and the mystery of what happened and where the cars are is taking it's toll on many people.
This from the thread about Lutz's interview in the NYT...

Q. Is that part of the reason for the delays?

A. It wasn’t delayed that much. Originally we were hoping to bring it out in July, and I think finally we got it out - in July was it, Marc? Yes, early
September. We lost a couple of months. Yes it was sheet metal finesse issues. In the old days, to the old G.M. standard, we would have shipped.

I have one at home, and to their credit the team asked me not to drive the car around, because everybody will think that’s what we’re building. I said,
“Look give me a big credit thing, one of those magnetic things you can stick on the side of your car. We will put a disclaimer on it saying, ‘This car
not built to regular production specification. Production cars will not have exhibit the unsightly gaps that you see at certain corners of this car.”

I tell you, all of my acquaintances looked at the car and said, ‘It’s fabulous, it’s the best thing G.M. has ever done,” and I said, “Well, we’re still
working on this little corner down here by the headlight.”

“Oh, yeah, now that you point that out, I notice it.”

But we were — I tell you, in the old days, we would have shipped, we would have shipped in June…

We did lose a little time, too. For instance, we adopted a much tougher water leak standard than our competitors. We had everybody else’s convertible
in the leak tests. And we couldn’t find a roadster of anybody’s make, any country of origin, that was really watertight. But we wanted the Solstice
absolutely completely watertight, luggage compartment and passenger compartment.

We really kept revising seals until we had a perfect system.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I think alot of people have the right to whine. Some cars that were built in July,Aug aren't delivered. And if this was the case for you, you would be whinning and ranting In the front of the line I'm sure.
Now you ordered your Sept. 13 th. Who are you to talk about wether someone has the right to whine. If your car doesn't come untill next sept or Oct. You'll be the head of the whinning club.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Whine

del utz
Kentucky is Bourbon Country not whine country, Not that I condone drinking and driving it is possible to go on a distillery bourbon tasting tour in this area, we have a lot more of those than vineyards. Ever find yourself in the area let me know we'll find a designated driver and do some boubon tasting. :lol:

deluke

It is possible to be disappointed about something and not whine about it.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
z3404 said:
del utz
Kentucky is Bourbon Country not whine country, Not that I condone drinking and driving it is possible to go on a distillery bourbon tasting tour in this area, we have a lot more of those than vineyards. Ever find yourself in the area let me know we'll find a designated driver and do some boubon tasting. :lol:

deluke

I think whinning is quite appropiate in alot of these cases. My opinion. I'll see how much you wine if you don't get you car untill next Sept.

·
Registered
479 Posts
z3404 said:
del utz

deluke

z3404 - if ever in Kentucky I will take you up on that, never been there before, I did spend a little time in Cincinatti once, (I think thats spelled correctly). I have my SOl. and love it. Posted some things that were wrong with it and immediately some folks thought I was whineing. However I think the forum is for sharing, good and bad news. Then we can all learn and look for things in our cars we may not be aware of. Good luck with yours. You will love it when you get it. :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts