Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Who is from Ohio

Who is from Ohio and plans to buy a Solstice or has already put down a deposit. Where are you located? I am in the Bucyrus area.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Ohio Connection

I am a fellow buckeye and put my order in for a sol 2 days ago. I am in the greater Cleveland area. I would like to be in the first 1000 but chances of this are not clear as we still do not know who (dealer or customer) has to be fastest and luckiest on ordering trigger (computer keyboard). Maybe with luck and dsl you can get in before system crashes. Though maybe demand won't be that crazy since its a small 2-seater market and there is competition.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I live in NE Ohio and placed my order two days ago also. What did your dealers ask for a deposit? Did they indicate if it was refundable or non-refundable? This is just like 1989 when I bought my first two Miata's. I hope it makes the rest of winter go by faster.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Who is from Ohio

I asked if $100 would be enough and he said yes but the boss kinda wanted $500 so I gave him the 500 and the deposit is refundable. I would like to see an Ohio get together, maybe a drive somewhere and stop for dinner or something like that. When we get our cars.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
What I've seen of details, GM is sort of pushing the $500 level and that is probably to cut down on spec buyers (scalpers). And official GM print declares refundability. Anything less would probably be a violation of several state's laws - inability of manufacturer or dealer to deliver unit as ordered.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My dealer asked for $2000 and said it was non refundable with the understanding that if I could not order the options or color that I wanted or if they were not able to confirm delivery of one of the first 1000 that they would refund to deposit. Once the order is confirmed it would not be refundable which is fine with me. Has anyone here ordered from more than one dealer?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well if I remember correctly from my business law courses $500 constitues a legally binding contract. So that could mean a couple of things to the buyer and GM.

On another note I went into my dealer a couple weeks ago to put down a deposit to order one. I was extremely disappointed at their level of knowledge on the car, but they said they would call me when they got more info and they would NOT go over MSRP. Next thing I know the salesman calls me and tells me they were alotted only one car for the entire year, and to make things even better they were going to e-bay it (so much for MSRP)!!! He said Pontiac was only making 800 cars! I don't know where they got their information but it is scary how terrible it is. So I doubt I will be buying from this dealer. Does anyone have any suggestions for a knowledgable dealer in NE Ohio.

At this point I am a little turned off and may wait till next year to get one.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
scott1715 said:
On another note I went into my dealer a couple weeks ago to put down a deposit to order one. I was extremely disappointed at their level of knowledge on the car, but they said they would call me when they got more info and they would NOT go over MSRP. Next thing I know the salesman calls me and tells me they were alotted only one car for the entire year, and to make things even better they were going to e-bay it (so much for MSRP)!!! He said Pontiac was only making 800 cars! I don't know where they got their information but it is scary how terrible it is. So I doubt I will be buying from this dealer. Does anyone have any suggestions for a knowledgable dealer in NE Ohio.
I ordered at Weidner Pontiac in Mansfield and they had another spot left for their first 5 and they were knowledgable. It is my understanding that if they get in the first 1000 program they have to pay to get in and then they get and alotment of 5 cars for being in and these orders will be filled first and will be sold for MSRP per their agreement when entering the program. The dealer you talked to must not be in the program and there on the bottom of the list for getting cars.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Rock Solid Solstice Order Info

You can guess what I do, but here is order info, as I know it.
Colors & Options are listed, but there is NO pricing yet
Dealers sign up on a voluntary basis, which DOES cost money.
They are allotted 5 chances to order one in the first 1000. It all depends on how the orders are picked up. They haven't made dealer allocations yet, but they will be out very soon, based on a number of things, but a big city dealer will get more than us country folk.
The deposits ARE refundable, and MSRP will be the price, as madated by GM.
APR 15 is the order date, 2pm EST to be exact is the earliest time an order can be submitted. There will be a media blitz, any and all interested will know where to be at what time. Any other questions, I will be happy to answer. I am going to a Solstice/Torrent factory "show & tell" with my GMgr in a few weeks in Motown, can answer more info then.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So you are saying even though you are on your dealers first five list you are not even sure you will get one by mid summer. If a dealer doesn't manage to get any of his five in the top 1000 all his customers are SOL and have to go on the regular production allocation with no way of knowing when they will get a car.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
ateam_77 said:
So you are saying even though you are on your dealers first five list you are not even sure you will get one by mid summer. If a dealer doesn't manage to get any of his five in the top 1000 all his customers are SOL and have to go on the regular production allocation with no way of knowing when they will get a car.
Short answer, YES.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hot off the presses

2006 Solstice Order Bank will become available on Thursday, March 10th which will allow dealers to begin inputting Preliminary Solstice Orders. Please keep in mind that Preliminary Orders on the Order Bank will be approved based on dealer allocation and will not necessarily be included in the Solstice Early Order Program as consumer eligibility is required. Solstice Early Order Program rules will be sent to participating dealers by the end of March.

The On-Line Order Guide will become available on Monday, March 14th.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
conejo148 said:
2006 Solstice Order Bank will become available on Thursday, March 10th which will allow dealers to begin inputting Preliminary Solstice Orders. Please keep in mind that Preliminary Orders on the Order Bank will be approved based on dealer allocation and will not necessarily be included in the Solstice Early Order Program as consumer eligibility is required.
So this is for the regular production after the first 1000 I assume.

·
Registered
338 Posts
For those of us waiting...

That's how it appears. It's not tied to the first 1000. I am guessing that IF the first 1000 are not sold on the early order program, they will take some from that pool to fill out the production.

·
Registered
753 Posts
conejo148 said:
2006 Solstice Order Bank will become available on Thursday, March 10th which will allow dealers to begin inputting Preliminary Solstice Orders. Please keep in mind that Preliminary Orders on the Order Bank will be approved based on dealer allocation and will not necessarily be included in the Solstice Early Order Program as consumer eligibility is required. Solstice Early Order Program rules will be sent to participating dealers by the end of March.

The On-Line Order Guide will become available on Monday, March 14th.
can we get a dealer to decipher this? they are taking orders on the 10th (yesterday) and the online guide for ordering is available on the 14th. but we will still be able to submit another order at 2pm EST for the 'early order program' to get a 'first 1000' solstice? if i call my dealer and ask to submit an order today, can he place the order in the GM system?
or will he need the online guide to place the order?
will the dealer be referencing an existing order if i were to preorder today and place a subsequent order during the '1st 1000" promotion?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Do my best

cdb said:
can we get a dealer to decipher this? they are taking orders on the 10th (yesterday) and the online guide for ordering is available on the 14th. but we will still be able to submit another order at 2pm EST for the 'early order program' to get a 'first 1000' solstice? if i call my dealer and ask to submit an order today, can he place the order in the GM system?
or will he need the online guide to place the order?
will the dealer be referencing an existing order if i were to preorder today and place a subsequent order during the '1st 1000" promotion?

For anybody familiar with the GM order system, we have an "Autobook" program to build the vehicle with a customer. The info is then saved, and then sent to the GM Order Bank, which is held until the weekend, when the orders are picked up by HQ, usually on Sundays, and then scheduled for production. While there is no online order guide yet, it will allow dealers/managers to create "templates," to bulk order up to thier allocation limit. Remember going onto a lot and seeing 100 Grand Ams all build alike, except for color....that would be a template. BUT, there still won't be any pricing until the 14th of March.

These orders, that can be put into a template now, will not be in the first 1000, unless the first 1000 are not sold. I guess Pontiac is trying to get a gauge as to how much excitement to prepare for. Your dealer can build the car for you, but he cannot price, and it will not be submitted until the following Sunday after it is priced.

You can still have the opportunity to order one of the first 1000. Since it is a refundable deposit, I would talk to your dealer after the 14 MAR, build it, and come back on the 15th of April, and see if he can get your's in that first 1000. Since you already have one placed in the initial allocation, you should get one either way. If your's IS in the first 1000, your dealer will just have one extra, and unless you order some crazy options, it will move quickly no matter what. BE AWARE THOUGH, most dealer require a NON-REFUNDABLE DEPOSIT for built to order vehicles. You may have to work that out with the dealer. Email me direct if you have any other questions, sorry if I missed answering any. We're learning about this just as fast as you guys. There is a special GM dealer broadcast on the 23rd for us to get more info on the specifics of the special order program. I will be watching with bated breath.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
I just got an e-mail from my dealer and he thinks it would still be a good idea to spec out a pre-order even if still participating in the early order program. I'm not sure if he thinks having an early order in the bank will provide some kind of advantage in the EOP? Maybe it's just clerical that when we come in for the EOP all the details will already be loaded?

We just received notice from GM that the order bank is now open for us to place orders for the Solstice. We still do not have specific option pricing, but the full range of specifications is available for review and order placement. I know you may be hesitant to pick options without knowing pricing, but if you are not this is a great opportunity to get the order into the system for you as early as possible.

This is different from the Early Order process we discussed in previous emails, and while you will still need to do whatever the Early Order Process requires to take advantage of that specific program, my feeling is that having the order in place may give you a time advantage once the Early Order Process begins.... My thought is that once you complete your part in that Process, we could then alert GM that your order is already in the bank and ready to roll which would certainly provide a faster turn around time.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts