Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do :). 0-60 in 7.2 sec is fast enough for me. I am buying the car just for cruising. I dont give a **** if a mustang passes me. There are alot of cars out there that is alot quicker than a solstice that is under 30K. Ill be spending more of my money on the look of the car (i.e. premium package) rather than the performance. Who's with me? :)

·
Registered
600 Posts
My feelings exactly! Just wanting to drive and have fun at the same time. I might be more pleasant when I do get to work or back home.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Personally I think it's not enough. The base car should come with 200 HP. I hate to say it but these base cars are going to be hella slow.

·
Registered
905 Posts
It'll be plenty fast for me going from a 2.2L 120HP Sunfire, 0-45 is ok but anything after that there's basically 0 acceleration.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
177HP (published figure) is plenty for me. The Solstice is priced as an economical entry level roadster, but even at that price it is comparable power wise to the much more expensive BMW Z4. If you want a Boxster, then buy one, but you going to have to dig deep in your wallet, be prepared to sacrifice fuel economy, and be willing to pay outragious insurance premiums.

·
Registered
9 Posts
SchwettyNuts said:
I do :). 0-60 in 7.2 sec is fast enough for me. I am buying the car just for cruising. I dont give a **** if a mustang passes me. There are alot of cars out there that is alot quicker than a solstice that is under 30K. Ill be spending more of my money on the look of the car (i.e. premium package) rather than the performance. Who's with me? :)

I'm with you on this one. :agree: I just wanna drop the top and cruise. I'm not lookin' to out run the police.....not that I would want to. I just wanna put my Daisy Duke shorts on and have some fun. :yesnod:

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Josh said:
The Solstice is meant to be a driving enthusiasts dream come true. If you want a Solstice with more power, buy the base model $19,995 (I dare you to find anything close to it for that price) and put whatever mods on it your little heart desires.
The problem with that is though, is a lot of people want to keep their warranty in tact. As soon as you start modding the car you start voiding your warranty for various parts.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
godspeed06 said:
only if they can prove that it was the mod that caused the problem if there ever is a problem.
Yeah, well that's not hard to do. If you put a Turbocharger on your engine they've got any number of experts they can bring foward who can say any number of parts were broken because of it. Yeah the law lets you keep your warranty for parts not effected by the mod, but you have to prove it wasn't effected by the mod. Even though GM posted a loss of nearly a billion dollars this last week, they've still got more money and more laywers then all of us put together. So don't expect it to be an easy fight to get your car fixed once you start putting certain types of mods on.

I've read several cases where such simple items as K&N air filters have been used to void a warranty for a blown engine.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
177-hp is plenty for me. For most legal street driving (say 75 pmh and below), the only discernable difference I see more hp giving you is faster acceleration. With a posted 0-60 value of 7.2 seconds, I think that is plenty of horsepower.

Most average people I know don't regularly use or appreciate the horsepower their cars have, they just buy them because it sounds impressive to say I've got XXX hp.

I'm sure that even with 177 hp I will be leaving a lot of cars behind while they lumber away from a stop simply because those car owners don't really use the hp they have.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I think for what it currently is 177 is plenty. If you really wanted a 200+ motor you would no longer see a 19995 base price youd see closer to a 21-22 base price. Ill keep my 1-2k for the moment. It is what it is and thats fine by me. It serves its market

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
177 hp will be fine in this car. The car is supposed to be about handling and tossability, not drag racing. People that are dissapointed are either race car enthusiasts or people playing the numbers game that the manufactures and Madison Ave have got us thinking we always need more. In case no one has noticed there is a hp war going on in car sales right now. The car with the most hp is the best right??

Once upon a time it was fuel mileage, then it was crash ratings, now it's HP. Easy numbers for consumers to latch onto to compare cars. Some say this car needs at least 240hp. Why? So we can beat a Miata at the stop light? What then when a 20 year old Corvette shows up that costs thousands less blows our doors off. Guess we'll need more power. To those that hope to race the Solstice, even if it came with 240hp, would that satisfy you? Chances are you would still modifiy it at great expense, and since the Ecotec engine is known to be capable of 400hp plus in racing form, it really shouldn't matter to you how much it makes out the factory door.

Bottom line is, 177hp makes it competitive with the Miata. This car really only needs about 30 to 40hp to move your butt from point A to point B, so the rest is gravy. :thumbs:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Handling

More power might be nice, but I am most concerned about the handling. The 0.9 on the skid pad sounds pretty good, and I imagine this can be improved substantially with better rubber. Also the weight distribution is very good, so if you do break out in a corner, you will have control.

My vision has a lot of curvy roads, unfortunately I live in Illinois.

·
Registered
80 Posts
177 hp is fine with me, at least for now. I don't need to win drag races, but I would like to be confident enough to accelerate into traffic or keep up with the flow on the freeway (without revving the engine to hell). As has been said, it's cruising the twisties that's the real draw.

I certainly will consider tinkering with the engine after the warranty expires, though. That's more for my enjoyment with the work than any real need to go faster.

·
Registered
288 Posts
brentil said:
The problem with that is though, is a lot of people want to keep their warranty in tact. As soon as you start modding the car you start voiding your warranty for various parts.
That's my perspective on it. I'll be going from 330+ HP to 177. That's quite a step down, but I don't want to modify a rare first 1000 car. Keep it stock, I say. Even at the reduced HP.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'll be thrilled with 177.
I currently launch a 3600 pound vehicle with 125 HP :willy: ...I know, that kind of thrust scares most people ;)

I'm not worried about being shown up at a stoplight by some kid who doesn't buy his own tires.

This car is the best looking thing to come out of Detroit in as long as I can remember and it will be a blast to drive. That's all I ask.

·
Registered
312 Posts
:agree:

I think many of you remember when a Corvette came with 200hp....(OK, the 80's sucked in so many ways) Now, a Pontiac w/ 177hp and only 2,800# to carry around, I think most of you will find this PLENTY of power.

Cleaning my garage this weekend...maybe a fresh coat of paint on the walls to welcome the DEEP Solstice. Have to move the '73 Riv over to make room. I hope they get along!

You never know, we may get them in June! Fingers crossed!

RADRIV

1 - 20 of 70 Posts