Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given that Pontiac drew comparisons to the current Miata in the press, and given that the price range and target markets will likely be the same, who here is also scouting out the new Miata as a possible alternative to the Solstice? I eliminated the current Miata from my list of alternatives due to interior room. Most of the trade journals are saying that the 2006 model will have increased head and leg room. As I posted earlier, Road & Track is projecting a curb weight around 2,500 lbs with an optional 180 hp 2.0 liter engine. It also seems likely that the Miata will have better top up visibility and a more sizable trunk for weekend trips. It could be a difficult choice to make for some (including me).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
753 Posts
180 hp from 2.0L sounds like a mill that doesn't make power until it is screaming. i would take a hard look at a hp/tq curve before i plunk down my dime.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
5,600 Posts
I'm interested in the new Miata, as well as the Solstice and Sky. I don't want something expensive to own and operate, like a Corvette, Viper or 350Z. So whichever affordable sports car among the Miata, Solstice and Sky meets my needs of reliability, fun, economy and practicalllity (in that order), gets my money.

I think all these cars will be worth the wait.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
cdb said:
180 hp from 2.0L sounds like a mill that doesn't make power until it is screaming. i would take a hard look at a hp/tq curve before i plunk down my dime.
Yes, the torque curve could be a tie breaker. As mentioned in another thread, the Solstice's Ecotec produces 90% of peak torque at 2400 rpm. That should result in sweet throttle response.
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
If Mazda goes for a higher output engine in the next Miata, I cannot imagine them selecting anything other than their newer 2.3L PZEV motor. It is extremely clean, efficient, and torquey. I believe it is putting out 160 HP in the Mazda3, but maybe they could bump it a little higher. A 180 HP 2.0L may be a little shy on torque. Or maybe the 2.0L is a boosted engine too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
tcl said:
Given that Pontiac drew comparisons to the current Miata in the press, .... It could be a difficult choice to make for some (including me).
Solstice - looks really really cool, attracts attention wherever you go
brand new model with several problems yet to be worked out

Miata - new model, but not as cool as Solstice
probably have some problems but not as many as Solstice

So, whaddya wanna do?
Be cool, or be practical?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
I'll be looking at both.
Each has it's perceived strengths and perceived weaknesses.
It might very well come down to the test drive being the deciding factor...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fformula88 said:
If Mazda goes for a higher output engine in the next Miata, I cannot imagine them selecting anything other than their newer 2.3L PZEV motor. It is extremely clean, efficient, and torquey. I believe it is putting out 160 HP in the Mazda3, but maybe they could bump it a little higher. ...
February's Motor Trend tested the Mazda 3 with that engine and said "any kind of spirited driving requires 4000 rpm or more". The specs in that article show it making 150 lb ft of torque at 4500 rpm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
391 Posts
That is exactly why I have been saying they need to put the new Caddy DOHC VVT V6 in the Sol as an upgrade. The high output I4's are crap on torque.
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
tcl said:
February's Motor Trend tested the Mazda 3 with that engine and said "any kind of spirited driving requires 4000 rpm or more". The specs in that article show it making 150 lb ft of torque at 4500 rpm.
I know that engine has drawn strong praise from a number of other sources. It has received a lot of praise in the Focus SVT based on how much more torque it has than the outgoing SVT Zetec motor.

Also, its would probably feel a lot quicker in a Miata than a Mazda3 too. Especially if they bumped output a little.

Oh no! You didn’t just resurrect the DOHC V6 debate again! :jester
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top