Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious what the Solstice buyers plan on doing with their new toys when they get them. :)

Will you treat it like a museum piece? Rub it down a lot, treat it gently, sunny days only, and keep things nice and safe.

Will you wring it out? Sure you're to keep it waxed, but this is a toy afterall and you intend on probing the limits every chance you get to do so safely.

My MSM is definetly in the "wring it out" category. Always makes me a bit sad to see one living a life of boredom, driven by a driver that doesn't know (or doesn't care to find out) what the car can do.

In case you're wondering, I'm hoping to find somebody in my neck of the woods (Southeast PA) with a Solstice that's ready to have some fun in twisties!

·
Registered
144 Posts
When I get a Sol, I plan on driving it quite often. It will definitely not be a museum piece, although I maintain my cars quite well.

·
Registered
369 Posts
This is our play toy. My wife and I plan on driving it only on sunny days, not rainy or snowy days. We have our other vehicles for driving in bad weather and to work. How nice it is to be able to now by our play toys. The Solstice is my wife's play toy and mine is going to be a VET. Now my wife may drive the Solstice like she stole it. This might be a question to ask her. :lol:

·
Registered
462 Posts
I'll drive mine like crazy for 6 months a year (Mid April - Mid Oct).
Then I'll park her in the garage for the winter months.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
The Solstice will be my wife's daily driver. How hard she drives it is up to her. I doubt I'll get to drive it for a while, so it should be broke in by then.

We're going to keep her old Grand Am around for grocery getting and seriously bad weather. The KBB value on it is only like $450, so why bother trading it in?

·
5,600 Posts
Matt, I asked this question a long time ago. After thinking about it, I decided I was going to drive the car reasonably hard, not baby it. I won't abuse it. I won't take it all the way to red-line and send it sideways at every opportunity. But I'm going to drive it hard and not worry about the consequences. So long as I don't do something stupid and crash, everything on it can be replaced when it goes out. Call it maintenance.

I also was assured I could drive aggressively in the curves and still have the steering box hold up at least 10 years, based on the prior experiences of others.

I intend to "wring it out." But not abuse it.

Editted to add: I won't be doing the clutch dumps and other abusive behavior I read about frequently on the S2ki forum.

·
Registered
763 Posts
The temptation will be too great to resist to flog it down a few curves, but I will keep the cars best interest in mind ( maybe not the tires ). However a saturn SL2 should be driven like you stole it. Hahaha

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
My idea is to see what it will do safely, and enjoy it under whatever driving conditions. No abusive behaviour.

·
Registered
141 Posts
It'll be my "daily driver", although I'll ride motorcycle or bicycle as much as possible. I would describe myself as a "moderately hard" driver, although I'm much more cautious now than I used to be. Thinking back on the way I drove when I was younger, I'm kinda surprised I lived long enough to decide to slow down.

·
Registered
35 Posts
It's going to be my daily driver. I do need to make a couple of mods. HID Halo headlights, new exhaust, new rims and I'm set.

It will be interesting to see how many people end up with these cars as I would like to be one of the few people in my area driving the fine Solstice. :cool:

·
Registered
299 Posts
This is gonna be my daily driver, year-round.

I don't know if I will be able to keep up with this promise, but I intend to take as much care of it as I can.

Time to get into the habit of actually washing, and especially waxing, my cars on a semi-regular basis.

But I gotta learn to baby it, or it won't survive (appearance-wise) the first Pittsburgh winter. Especially being black.

All that damn road salt. :(

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
My sol

my red solstice will be driven except in the winter unless no snow on the streets. It will be hand washed. do not trust car wash kids.Love my three garages.Thats where cars belong when not in use.Vandals are running wild out there. Also may take it to detailers once in a while.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
SCISOLSTICE said:
my red solstice will be driven except in the winter unless no snow on the streets. It will be hand washed. do not trust car wash kids.Love my three garages.Thats where cars belong when not in use.Vandals are running wild out there.
Vandals in Sioux City, Iowa, the heartland of America? What's this world coming to?

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
You bet we have vandals in sux city yes S U X is the airport designation. The latest craze is shooting out car windows. When i was on the job that did'nt happen. If you believe that. You will believe I got my Solstice yesterday.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Bonzo said:
The Solstice will be my wife's daily driver. How hard she drives it is up to her. I doubt I'll get to drive it for a while, so it should be broke in by then.

It will be my daily ride too. My husband will get to drive it after I get it broken in ...... :lol: My youngest now has his own vehicle, so I can finally drive a car built for two.. no car pools!.... :lol: I'll pamper it, love it and enjoy every minute that I am driving it! :yesnod: Let the party begin :party:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
SCISOLSTICE said:
You bet we have vandals in sux city yes S U X is the airport designation. The latest craze is shooting out car windows. When i was on the job that did'nt happen. If you believe that. You will believe I got my Solstice yesterday.
So, how does it drive? :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
:willy: I envy those of you that can have these as toys - it will be my toy but it will also get over 30,000 miles a year - I plan on enjoying it

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
ttriker said:
:willy: I envy those of you that can have these as toys - it will be my toy but it will also get over 30,000 miles a year - I plan on enjoying it
Ye, me too. I want to enjoy every day I possibly can in it.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Todd_Raleigh this one will be for you. I plan to smoke the tires off the dealer lot! Drive it like it was just stolen!

No worries about tires, engine, or transmission. They will be removed before the car has 500 miles on it.

The expression on the dealerships faces will be priceless. :lol: :lol:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts