Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Sorry if this has been posted already but I'm a newbie. Just courious if anyone is waiting on buying one until the automatics are out. I am (which sucks to have to wait until they are even made). Anyone else?

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
There have been some people waiting for autos on the forum. They are probably in the minority, but they are around. Any particular reason why you prefer the auto?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fformula88 said:
There have been some people waiting for autos on the forum. They are probably in the minority, but they are around. Any particular reason why you prefer the auto?
City driving in a manual got old for me a while back. I guess I'm just lazy. :) BTW fformula...your user name looks familiar....Pennocks? ;)

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
FieroFan said:
City driving in a manual got old for me a while back. I guess I'm just lazy. :) BTW fformula...your user name looks familiar....Pennocks? ;)
I can understand that. Manuals are not so much fun in constant stop and go traffic.

Yes I am over at Pennocks. ;) Same username over there, although I do not post nearly as much there. (Don't confuse me with Formula88 over there, some people do). :)

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
ESERIES3 said:
I'm trading mine for an automatic when they offer a more powerfull engine
I read in an artical on the HHR with the Same engine in the Solstice that the automatic actually performed better than the 5 speed...

·
Registered
199 Posts
Sticking w/ the 5 speed and possibly waiting for the turbo to come by the end of next summer or I might just say screw it and get the 06's when I graduate in May

·
Registered
182 Posts
Classic66vair said:
I read in an artical on the HHR with the Same engine in the Solstice that the automatic actually performed better than the 5 speed...
how could it be? is it lighter?

·
Registered
42 Posts
i've checked twice with the dealer and he insists that there will be automatics available THIS january. he said it BEFORE his 'training' on the solstice, and repeated it afterward. i am still going on the assumption that he is right: both a hardtop convertible and an automatic in january. hope he isn't totally off his rocker.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Sol-Stitch-Ay! said:
i've checked twice with the dealer and he insists that there will be automatics available THIS january. he said it BEFORE his 'training' on the solstice, and repeated it afterward. i am still going on the assumption that he is right: both a hardtop convertible and an automatic in january. hope he isn't totally off his rocker.
thats what I heard from my dealer too. it must be correct.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well I can't really say I'm holding out specifically for the automatic, more like waiting until I get a lease turn in notice which will probably be March. But I would wait until the automatic is available. I was hoping for one with a manual shift mode but that looks out of the question. It's not so much for wanting an automatic because I only have to drive short distances in the city but more for not having ever driven a manual before. Nor do I have any interest. I'm also hoping the Turbo is out before my lease expires.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
ESERIES3 said:
how could it be? is it lighter?
no the auto is not lighter than a 5 speed... it is the gearing and the torque multiplication of the torque convertor.
I am not saying it would be quicker in a Solstice, but there have been instances in the past where an automatic version of a car would have a better 0-60 time than the manual... mostly because of the programming of the automatic is better for the peak torque of the engine.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Classic66vair said:
no the auto is not lighter than a 5 speed... it is the gearing and the torque multiplication of the torque convertor.
I am not saying it would be quicker in a Solstice, but there have been instances in the past where an automatic version of a car would have a better 0-60 time than the manual... mostly because of the programming of the automatic is better for the peak torque of the engine.
:agree:
And also because not everyone knows how to get the most out of a stick.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was actually wonder if anyone was going to bring up the subject of Automatics. I too am waiting for an automatic. Living in the Los Angeles area has completely put me off manuals ( Thanks to parking lots like the 405 freeway). So January huh? And whats this about a hardtop?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I may hold out for an automatic??,,,,,,knees are getting old and tired, plus believe me, the computer can shift 'faster' than your hands.

·
1,492 Posts
Holding out for a Pure Automatic

I'll hold out for an auto until Dec 1, if not offered as option at dealers order site by then will order stick, maybe a miata :brentil: , no i don't think soooo :lol:

·
2,574 Posts
Classic66vair said:
Given what we're hearing on some of the higher gearing in several of the early tests (mentions of third and fifth and having to shift just before hitting 60), maybe it's the case.

·
2,574 Posts
Wakai-san said:
I was actually wonder if anyone was going to bring up the subject of Automatics. I too am waiting for an automatic. Living in the Los Angeles area has completely put me off manuals ( Thanks to parking lots like the 405 freeway). So January huh? And whats this about a hardtop?
Bob Lutz has been quoted on the coming of a coupe maybe as early as next year. Many expect an announcement at the annual show in Detroit in January '06. Some even think Nov "05 could bring the announcement but the big loot is on the show in Jan. Sounds like a done deal. Get a second Sol with a hard top, some more horses and a little more trunk space. Hey, who knows maybe even an unlock button!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Sol-Stitch-Ay! said:
I think he is being blindly optimistic. You can't even order it yet in the GM system as far as I know. They have about 13,000 orders for manuals already, and they are only building about 7,000+ this year (2005). Maybe if they get all the other 6,000 manuals done in the first week of January...... :lol: Now if they start bumping manual pre-orders for automatic production just so they can say they exist, that will piss a bunch of people off and will be total B.S. in my opinion. :brentil: Bottom line, it won't be January.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Things I'm waiting for:

Removable Hard Top - yes

Coupe - no

Automatic - Unfortunately, probably a yes. (it's easier since my wife has never driven a stick and auto doesn't really bother me.)

Turbo -yes, depending on how it effets the torque curve. I live in a hilly area, and ill sacrifice horsepower, if the turbo kills the torque curve.

Money - Big YES. I gotta wait till next spring summer anyways so that I can finish paying off my current ride and can amount a decent down payment.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.