Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Solstice front vanity plate/frame adds identity and contrast to its beauty. It's a matter of individual taste. My only concern would be: Does a front plate on a Solstice impede engine compartment air flow (since it's in front of the grill)? Just thinkin' about it in Saginaw (haven't seen a Solstice in town yet) MI.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
riszard said:
Solstice front plate adds identity and contrast to its beauty. It's a matter of individual taste. My only concern would be: Does a front plate on a Solstice impede engine compartment air flow (since it's in front of the grill)? Just thinkin' about it in Saginaw (haven't seen one yet here), MI.
According to the GM engineers, as long as you mount the plate in the specified area, it will not restrict airflow. I think I remember someone saying they were warned that mounting the plate lower than the intended height may restrict the airflow, since the air comes in under the plate.

We have at least one forum member who mounted the plate lower, and he hasn't reported any problems with increased engine temp.

My personal opinion is that the front plate messes with the beautiful lines of the front end, but I will ulimately mount the plate somehow, to avoid getting tickets at work.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Ugh! Please tell me you're just trying to justify it since you have a mandatory front plate or someting. I couldn't imagine screwing up that beautiful front end with such clutter by choice. That said, it certainly is your personal choice, but it would surprise me if more than 1 % of the population would consider it a good thing on this car ... the sweet curves up front get completely ruined in my opinion.

·
Registered
936 Posts
SlySol said:
Ugh! Please tell me you're just trying to justify it since you have a mandatory front plate or someting. I couldn't imagine screwing up that beautiful front end with such clutter by choice. That said, it certainly is your personal choice, but it would surprise me if more than 1 % of the population would consider it a good thing on this car ... the sweet curves up front get completely ruined in my opinion.
What he said!

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
What dengel said...leaving in spot they planned it for no problem but moving it down is where most of the air comes in :thumbs:

·
Sol Driving Member
2,597 Posts
Unfortunatley for the beauty of our Solsti, some of us have to enter military bases with guards on the gate and they look for things like cars registered in a state requiring front license plates that do not have the plate mounted. They pull us off to the side to wait for the friendly Military Police or Shore Patrol or Security Patrol or DOD Cops to come write us a ticket. This would tend to make us late to work every day and upset our commanders, thus not a good thing. :brentil:

However, after retirement and when I don't have to go on post every day, the plate may "fall" off the car or the bracket will be "broken, waiting on replacement".. :devil:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
riszard said:
Solstice front vanity plate/frame adds identity and contrast to its beauty. It's a matter of individual taste. My only concern would be: Does a front plate on a Solstice impede engine compartment air flow (since it's in front of the grill)? Just thinkin' about it in Saginaw (haven't seen a Solstice in town yet) MI.
You must see a silver lining in every cloud. ;)

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Actually the grill is fake, the air comes in underneath the bumper. A plastic airdam below the car redirects air to the radiator. This airdam is the wider than the grill area. The problem with mounting the plate low is the possibility of impeding this airflow.

An possible solution is to hinge the plate is that air pressure tilts the plate back against the bumper thereby mitigating the problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts