Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Why Call Them Valve Covers?

3K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  njtex 
#1 ·
Something I'd wondered about is the use of the term 'valve cover' in regard to the Ecotec on these groups.

My background is sports cars, not American cars, and pushrod engines have valve covers (or rocker covers) while overhead cam engines have cam covers (logical, no?).

Is the application of 'valve covers' to OHC engines an American thing? Does it perhaps come from the fact that the vast majority of domestic engines having traditionally been OHV?

Just curious. I've gotten used to it, but it is so completely out of synch with most of my other car enthusiast groups' terminology, I thought I'd just ask if anyone knew where it came from.

#2 ·
Officially they are called cam covers. But to answer your question, tradition.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide App

#3 ·
That has always bugged me.........

My Solstice has a cam cover.

Also why do people say "The Department of Defense".........

But in football they say......... deeee-fense.

But does anyone say.... the Dept. of Deeeeee-fense???

Language is a funny thing........... or is that "thang"?

#4 · (Edited)
Speak n of language, for your entertainment and just for fun, no offence everyone.....

******* English ******* conversation

Ayout Out " Me and my husband is a goin ayout tonite "

At That " At airs what I'm a talkin bout "

Air There " I'll be up air in a minute "

Airs There's " Airs some big uns up air "

Backker Tobacco " I'm gonna have a chaw of backker "

Backky Tobacco " Ya'll wanna chaw of baccky "

Chaw Chew " Were gonna have a chaw, ya'll wanna chaw? "

Seent Seen " I ain't seent em latley "

Em Him " Lets go see em "

Em Them " Lets go see em "

Ems Those " Ems some big uns ain't they ? "

Uns Ones " Lou Lou's got some big uns ain't she ? "

Reyud Red " Airs at reyud pickem up truck at Bubba bought "

Saw Seen " I ain't saw er lately "

Er Her " I ain't seent er "

Tabacker Tobacco " At tabacker show is good "

Tabacky Tobacco " I'm goin over air to at tabacky field "

Show Shure " Thems show some good eats "

Tamarra Tomorrow " See ya'll tamarra "

Purtty Pretty " Ain't Lou Lou purtty ? "

Edjumacation Education " I ain't got no edjumacation, I ain't got no book learnens , don't need em up air in at air tabaccy field "

Doden't Doesn't " Doedn't Lou Lou look purrty ? "

Wadn't Wasn't " I wadn't up air "

Won't Want " I won't ya'll to come over tamarra "

Teum Tim ( my name ) " Teum, won't a chaw of backky ? "

I've run out of em air ******* words. Feel free to add some of your own !

#7 ·
There's only one "o" in envelope. It's not an "onvelope"

There are two ways to spell one (won), three ways to spell two (too, to) but only one way to spell three.

Why is the U.S. agency in charge of everything outdoors called "the Department of the Interior"?

The number is "zero", yet when reciting a phone number most people call it "o".

So, yeah, it's lazy language. As others have pointed out, those who are technically proficient will call it a cam cover. Those with a casual familiarity fall back on "valve" or "rocker" cover.

#8 ·
My guess: Valvetrain cover(We shorten words).......so......Valve cover. Now the valve's can be seen when the cover is removed so its not completely incorrect.

#9 ·
From GM Parts Direct, for the Cover Gasket:

"12609291 - GASKET KI
GM PART # 12609291
CATEGORY: Engine Camshaft and Valve Cover Gasket
PACK QTY: 1
CORE CHARGE: $0.00

List Price: $30.96
Price: $17.99
You Save: $12.97 (42%)

DESCRIPTION: GASKET KI"

From My Local GM Service Department:

"Oil leak at back side of engine.
Verified Concern. Performed leak check and found Valve Cover Gasket is
leaking down. Recommended replacement.
R and R Valve Cover Gasket and De-greased. No other leaks found."

Sure seems like GM calls it a Valve Cover. Or at least they call the gasket that. :lol:

#10 ·
While its covering the cams, it also covers the valves... So valve cover is not wrong.

Of course it also covers the block and all the engine internals....

#12 ·
Cover

When I 1st got my solstice,the tech was saying that you may hear a noise under the Valve Cover . I told him these are Overhaed Cams .I ask Why do you call it a V/C . He told me Thats what it has always been called . I needed a Camshaft Gasket for mine and that is what I ask for at the Parts Dept. That guy wrote it up that way. Some are use to Standard early V8 Engines .
Why did they call the Old Buick Engine a " Nail head " It didn't have any Nails in it . The Ford Flat-Heads Valves were in the Block.

#14 ·
When I 1st got my solstice,the tech was saying that you may hear a noise under the Valve Cover . I told him these are Overhaed Cams .I ask Why do you call it a V/C . He told me Thats what it has always been called .
Yeah, I think that's it - used to OHV engines and unwilling to change. Oddly though, in Britain they also had a long tradition of OHV engines, yet they used cam cover terminology quickly and consistently when they produced OHC engines, to set them apart as something different. They'd look at you like you didn't know what you were talking about if you asked for a valve cover gasket for a straight 6 Jag engine.

And yes, there are a number of different names used in Britain for various parts (bonnet, gudgeon pin etc.) but that's irrelevant to this question.

#15 ·
If I went to the parts store I would ask for a valve cover gasket because thats a name for the part that is very easily recognized. It may not be the "correct" term, but at least I know I'll get the right part. If I asked for a cam cover gasket I may very well get a timing cover gasket or some nonsense ...this is also why I tend to look up the part I need online and just give the parts store the part number that I need.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.