Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After continuing to read postings to; 1st 1000 (any first 1000 cars still here), (started 12/27/05 and has continued to 5-20-13). Along with; New Owner, Anybody Still Around (started 1-02-2010 continuing to 5-21-13).

It got me to wondering why did you sell your Kappa?

1. Simply tired of it?
2. Too small?
3. Pontiac discontinued?
4. Mechanical issues?
5. Quality issues?
6. Performance issues (wasn't fast enough)
6. Health issues?
7. Financial issues?
8. Other

Generally speaking, if I can buy a used vehicle from the original owner (or dealer) I always ask the reason it's being sold or was traded in (with the understanding I may not receive an honest answer). Also, as someone who tends to keep their vehicles for a long period of time attempting to find out as much information beforehand has always played a part in the final buying decision of a vehicle.

Also, since GM continues to monitor threads and turned the Pontiac G8 into the Chevrolet SS please do not Kappa bash . Along with believing it is unacceptable that the world continues to only offer one entry-level, 2-seat, RWD, sports car (Mazda M5). This is why I continue to hope that GM may revive one of the Kappa platforms and introduce it under one of the remaining divisions and become a multi-gen platform (again no comments needed because I've accepted a Kappa II will never happen).

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Sold my '06 because of a military move overseas. GM warranty wouldn't transfer with me, and I wasn't too thrilled taking a first year model to Germany with no warranty coverage. Bought my GXP before moving back because they were changing the shade of Deep for '09. Instead of selling it, decided to store it for this overseas move...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Don't expect the Kappa to come back. Except for the first two years or so of production, they couldn't give the thing away. What's out there is it. Cherish what you have.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Should make this thread into a poll CT

·
Registered
46 Posts
Guessing that a vast majority of former owners don't come back to this site often, if at all.
That was my thought when I first saw this thread. I guessed that except for those who sold one for another, there wouldn't be much response. Then there's Manuel.

@Manuel, meaning no disrespect, why do you still come here if you no longer have a kappa? Did you buy another? Do you plan to? This might be a good question of anyone who has sold their kappa: What did you replace it with?

I've noticed a few members who've participated in recent threads but whose sig suggests that they're no longer an owner. :dunno:

·
Registered
81 Posts
That was my thought when I first saw this thread. I guessed that except for those who sold one for another, there wouldn't be much response. Then there's Manuel.

@Manuel, meaning no disrespect, why do you still come here if you no longer have a kappa? Did you buy another? Do you plan to? This might be a good question of anyone who has sold their kappa: What did you replace it with?

I've noticed a few members who've participated in recent threads but whose sig suggests that they're no longer an owner. :dunno:
the reason that i still come by , its to see what kind of problems u guys have , day in day out , and say to my self thank God i no longer have one.
the car only have the looks the rest ....
i have now a Corvette C6

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
I won't over react in defending the car or it's owners, but I will defend it. On a percentage basis it probably has a higher number of issues than most vehicles but I don't believe it's outrageous. As others such as Rob have pointed out, forums such as this one are consulted by those that are having problems. They are consulted by those without problems extremely less frequently.

It's like the news coverage of the house that didn't catch on fire. Sure, you'll see such a story once in a while, but not nearly as often as the catastrophes.

Same as asking questions of previous owners. You're not going to get a lot of responses. Some former owners may return just because of the camaraderie formed. Some may just drop by and offer advice based upon their experiences. Some may just check in like seeing what your ex has been up to since you broke up!

·
Registered
311 Posts
GM has the XLR from cadillac that thing is a beauty i wanted one but they only come in auto so the Kappa was the next best thing. I knock on wood haven't had any problems with the car yet but again i only drive it 5 - 8k a year.

What problems were you guys experiencing?

·
Registered
347 Posts
GM has the XLR from cadillac that thing is a beauty i wanted one but they only come in auto so the Kappa was the next best thing. I knock on wood haven't had any problems with the car yet but again i only drive it 5 - 8k a year.

Unfortunately, it's drivers like you (who drive seldom) that will encounter all the glitches AFTER their powertrain warranty runs dry (5yrs). My problems began at around the 25,000 mile point and have continued on now that the car has turned '40'. Last month I had over $700 of work done and once again I have a new 'check-engine-light' on. It never ends.

And I agree: I don't think most ex-kappa owners still hang out here on the forum, aside to keep in touch with friends they've made over the years, or who have re-bought another Kappa.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Unfortunately, it's drivers like you (who drive seldom) that will encounter all the glitches AFTER their powertrain warranty runs dry (5yrs). My problems began at around the 25,000 mile point and have continued on now that the car has turned '40'. Last month I had over $700 of work done and once again I have a new 'check-engine-light' on. It never ends.

And I agree: I don't think most ex-kappa owners still hang out here on the forum, aside to keep in touch with friends they've made over the years, or who have re-bought another Kappa.
I have 18K on the car so far and I'm still confused as to what are the problems you guys are running into? Should i quit now before making this car my show car?
I made a promise to myself this is my last car id buy as a toy lol your making me regret my choice :p:brentil:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have an '09 GXP roadster that I bought new in October of '09. The only problem I had was a big oil consumption problem from day 1. It took 3 dealer trips in 2 different states to finally get the problem diagnosed properly. The issue was that an oil ring was installed improperly at the factory and causing a quart of oil consumption every 400 miles.

I asked for a new short block, but the dealer said GM authorized just a sleeving of the engine. The dealer did all the work and fixed the problem. My car doesn't consume any oil now, and I haven't had any real problems since.

I was frustrated with the oil problem, but still love the car. I am expecting to put in a new water pump sometime in the future (I'm at 22K miles now). I have the Trifecta budget tune, and all 3 chassis braces. This car is a lot of cheap economical fun on par with a base level Vette (in my opinion).

I think the main problem with the Solstice was that it was originally built to a $19,995 price. GM should have added a few extra hundred dollars to the price an upgraded the interior, transmission, etc. I think some of the issues come from that original base price. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
625 Posts
We had 3. An '06 and 2 '08's. Mine was an '08, and was the biggest piece of crap I have ever owned. On the rare occasion it was driveable, it was fun...but that was rare. The other 2 Solstices were and one still is, well made and fun.

·
Registered
625 Posts

On the '08 I had, if it was not part of the drive train, it was defective, and self-destructed. And I mean EVERYTHING.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I bet that I still hold the record for the most problematic Kappa ever built (See my P0101 Thread or my flame thread).

But our other Sky has been bullet proof.

I have said this before, I will say it again: GM = Phenomenal Idea Guys; but quality control and customer service could stand improvement. It does seem that efforts are being made in those two areas, and I hope that trend continues.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I bet that I still hold the record for the most problematic Kappa ever built (See my P0101 Thread or my flame thread).

But our other Sky has been bullet proof.

I have said this before, I will say it again: GM = Phenomenal Idea Guys; but quality control and customer service could stand improvement. It does seem that efforts are being made in those two areas, and I hope that trend continues.
My 2010 Camaro has been perfect. ( minor wear and tear issues excepted)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts