Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like a lot of people would give their right eye to get a pre 1000 Solstice because it's one of the first to be built off the line and is I guess it's suppose to be special.

Why would you want one of the first? Personally I would much rather have one built after the assembly line has been up and running for a while and the people have had a lot of expeirence assembling the Solstice and the machines are all dialed in.

Seems like there is too big a chance to get one that may or may not have had something overlooked in the begging of it's production.

·
Registered
254 Posts
:agree:

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
RWSimmons said:
Obviously, "First kid on the block" syndrome.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
It's a trade-off.

Low VIN = geting your car earlier, getting the attention, and increased chance of collectability

High VIN = Get kinks worked out

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I think you're just jealouse you don't have a low VIN like me since I ordered so long ago. :D

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
fizzer said:
Seems like a lot of people would give their right eye to get a pre 1000 Solstice because it's one of the first to be built off the line and is I guess it's suppose to be special.

Why would you want one of the first? Personally I would much rather have one built after the assembly line has been up and running for a while and the people have had a lot of expeirence assembling the Solstice and the machines are all dialed in.

Seems like there is too big a chance to get one that may or may not have had something overlooked in the begging of it's production.

My vin is 1178.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My wife and I would normaly wait until the kinks are out (We had real bad luck with a 1st year 300ZX) but we jumped at the chance for a 1st 1000 because we thought the car was fantastic, ad if we didn't grab one it might be a couple of years to get one without paying a big dealer markup (the other mistake we made with the 300ZX)

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I think GM has worked so hard to get this car right that your odds of getting a better car later on are less than they would normally be. That's not to say that there won't be some problem cars. There's never been a production car made that didn't have soem that weren't up to snuff.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Can you say Co-lecta-bility?

A member of the local cruising club owns a 1953 Corvette VIN#127, completely rebuilt and all original build numbers have been authenticated. It is worth the price of a nice mainland house. somewhere north of $200K. That's the only reason you want one of the first 1K. Be sure you leave it to your grandson. :leaving:

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
The only things that become valuable in the future...

...are things that no one had any idea they were going to be valuable in the future.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Little Red #531 said:
A member of the local cruising club owns a 1953 Corvette VIN#127, completely rebuilt and all original build numbers have been authenticated. It is worth the price of a nice mainland house. somewhere north of $200K. That's the only reason you want one of the first 1K. Be sure you leave it to your grandson.

Sorry, but the Solstice is no '53 Vette. That was a revolutionary car for its time. The Sol is just another (soon to be mass-produced) roadster. Albeit a beautiful one. Destined to be sought after, yes, but don't count on it being all that collectible. Buy one because you love it, not for resale value.

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
Are we comparing the size of our VINs again? :confused: ;) :lol:

Seriously, most people want the bragging rights and have a higher value later own. I don't have the same desires, but I believe those are the 2 biggest reasons. JMHO

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
first 1000

deluke said:

My vin is 1178.
Didn,t all the first 1000 have to pay a premium for these cars.I was offered one when I first made my order,the car was refused at pick up,but they wanted about $6,000 more than what I,m giving.I didn,t think the book,hat,an key chain were worth that.Anyway I thought the first 1000 would be sorting the problems.I thank all of you,keep up the good work. ;)

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Mrtoycrazy said:
Didn,t all the first 1000 have to pay a premium for these cars.I was offered one when I first made my order,the car was refused at pick up,but they wanted about $6,000 more than what I,m giving.I didn,t think the book,hat,an key chain were worth that.Anyway I thought the first 1000 would be sorting the problems.I thank all of you,keep up the good work. ;)
no the original folks who ordered the the F1K cars in the EOP program all got theirs for MSRP......the dealer was marking the car up....because he could..and it was not accepted or the owner backed out of the the F1K car for whatever reason...thus the dealership had a F1k car to sell....it is the same car you order..plus a plaque on the dashboard..and a vin lower that 1000..otherwise its the same car

1 - 14 of 14 Posts