Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
5,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All the discussion about increasing power for the Solstice has me wondering what you intend to use one for. Why do you want a Solstice?

I want a convertible sports car for traveling. For weekend travel and for road trips. Most everything about the car makes me believe it will be good for traveling. My only major concern is the lack of trunk space for a 2-week road trip. It's a little heavy, but that is good for comfort and the design should be very crisp handling despite the weight. The motor could use more power, but I want the fuel efficiency for lower cost and longer cruising range.

Of course the biggest advantages are superior looks and affordable fun. Kind of like an exotic looking Miata.

So what do you want a Solstice for? Weekend travel, commuting, racing, or what?

·
4,592 Posts
mainly for the roadster experiece, top down cruising. I dream of taking it on trips in the southwest. it will also serve as a daily driver to supplement my current 4x4, which has 60k miles, and i'd like it to last as long as possible, thus the solstice will give the truck longevity.

but definitely, top down driving excitement, wether around town, or on a lonely 2 lane road through the 4 corners region.

:D

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Pretty much the same here, daily driver with a fun twist. Never owned a convertable but have rented them while on vacation. Hope to give the mundane commute a bit of that vacation feeling. Realised there's no sense in hauling a back seat to work. Had considered a Honda Insite till I drove one. Have got a couple of junky ol' things to put in service for special needs ('61 Ford P/U and '73 Riveria) But all that's what I intend to do with it.

Why do I want a Solstice?
Looks, price, convertable, performance, size (would own a Miata if I fit in one)

But on both the price and performance issues, now that GTO's can be had for less than the Solstice and EPA numbers (29 highway) on a 6 speed are about the same as the Solstice, I almost gave in but the looks and the rag top kept me waiting till this summer.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I don't plan to commute in mine, but the wife will drive it to her job at the High's Market and look at it all day long. I'll be looking at all of yours all day long. :cheers

·
Registered
533 Posts
Driving enjoyment. More specifically, the feel of a great handling open top car with a slick shift linkage and a responsive, great sounding engine. So far the prototype tests indicate that the Solstice won't disappoint in those areas.

As far as your question on more power, I want to push engine on the street and not be put in jail for doing it. Therefore I don't need Vette-like acceleration.

My Subaru will handle the daily rush hour commute. Given that whatever sports car I end up with next will primarily be a weekend use vehicle, I don't want to spend a huge sum of money on it.

·
Registered
270 Posts
The feel of a convertible again. Though I've never owned a roadster convertible.
I think the fun factor as far as shift throws, engine/exhaust sounds, and general ride will be right where they need to be for me. I like it's wide low agressive stance and the way light seems to reflect off the car at angles. It's just a damned handsome car.
Now give it to me.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Solstice will be my weekend fun car, driving to work once and a while on prefect days. Mid-life crisis, never owned a convertible before, wanted something fun to drive but most roadsters are too much money for a 2nd car. As far as power goes the stock engine is fine by me, don't want an under-powered car but then again don't want over-powered either. Balanced, fun to drive, afforadable, and it's American too!

TomDoc said:
I'll be looking at all of yours all day long. :cheers
Tom, make us proud !

:patriot

·
Registered
667 Posts
tcl said:
Driving enjoyment. More specifically, the feel of a great handling open top car with a slick shift linkage and a responsive, great sounding engine....
That sums it up pretty well for me too, with the exception that this will be a second vehicle for me. I want something that (as much as is possible) replace the sportbike I now own. I've got a Chev. Blazer for hauling canoes, fishing stuff, or whatever so I don't need a lot of storage room in a new car. I am waiting for the forced induction model so I do want as much "bike like" power and agility as I can get without braking the bank. If for some reason this car doesn't work for me a "04" Z06 will have to do. :glol

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I have owned a Fiero for years now, and really enjoy the 2 seater sports car driving experience. Quick, good handling, athletic feeling on the road. The one thing I wish the Fiero did offer was an open air driving experience. I love driving my daily driver Wrangler with the top down, but its not nearly as sporty or fun to drive as a roadster would be (by a long shot!).

I’ve always considered getting a Miata, and probably would have bought one in the last couple years if GM hadn’t shown the original Solstice in 2002. Since then I have been keeping an eye on everything Solstice, hoping the would produce it, and anxiously awaiting its arrival since they announced they would produce it.

Any way you slice it, I knew I just had to have it when I first saw the original concept! It’s the kind of car I want to own, and to my eyes it is a visual knockout!

I am yet to decide how it will fit into my “fleet” as I really am not prepared to give up the Fiero. Right now I am leaning towards trading in the Jeep on it, and driving it daily 8-9 months of the year, and picking up a beater for winter. I could keep the Jeep for winter duty too, although its not that old yet either and it seems like a waste to me to be suffering the depreciation a fairly new vehicle I won’t be using much anymore.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Pure unadulterated fun. I've owned sportbikes and one other roadster. Anytime I'm in/on a vehicle like this, it's like having an extra level of freedom. It's kind of hard to describe, and not everyone is affected the same way. If you've felt it, you just know where I'm coming from. It's addicting.

Currently all I have is an SUV. It's nice and practical. The Solstice will be the opposite extreme. Mine won't be a daily driver by necessity, but by choice. Open air commuting is a great way to start and end a workday. I want to look forward to the drive home again.

This car is just coming along at the right time for me, and it has everything I'm looking for in a second car. Plus, I have a soft spot for Pontiacs.

Oh yeah... and autocross.

·
Registered
284 Posts
After having Corvette convertibles for the past 6 years, I look forward to having a more affordable toy than another Corvette. I will be using it as nice weather cruiser (put the top down in the spring and don't put it back up until late fall).

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I want a sports car dammit. :D

My first love is Porsche, but they're expensive.
My second love is Lotus Elise, but that's also expensive.
My third love is the Lancer Evolution, but it's medium expensive + not the best MPG, and then I got a new house and married too.

So I started looking for cheaper alternatives.
The Miata fit nicely, but the looks didn't thrill me, and the MS version jsut wasn't high powered enough to warrant the money in my opinion. I also liked the new MR2, it has some really nice body kits and parts out there. However it was just far too underpowered for what I was wanting.

Then I found the Solstice while searching because I remembvered reading about it back in 2002 when it was being developed. Then I heard about the Sky :D

·
Registered
753 Posts
it actually started with me seeing a triumph speed triple motorcycle at a stoplight. despite not being on a bike since giving up my yamaha 750 twin in the mid 80's, i fell hard for this bike. eventually i came to realise that my opportunity to ride would be primarily on my commute to work with occasional jaunts around town- i have too many projects going to just take a weekend every month to have a trip- and that living in Philadelphia, commuting is congested superhighway stuff...plus it's too cold for a bike 6 months a year. i reluctantly talked myself out of the bike
then i found the solstice online. open air in good months, top up in rain and cool weather, show car looks, built from the ground up as a sportscar with a modern powerful reliable motor (yes, for an I-4 170hp/170tq is quite good IMHO, about the same as my bmw 2.5 I-6) for 20-25G. unbelievable! sign me up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts