Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
Same "blog" has a link to a video of a guy taking a sledgehammer to a Ford F150 aluminum panel with no demonstration of a sledgehammer to a steel panel. (Which I'm pretty sure would crumple also.)

It used to be "opnions are like a$$holes, everybody has one." That became "websites are like a$$holes, everybody has one." It's now "every a$$hole has his own website."

All that being said, the author is right. GM killed Pontiac because it's other brands had higher market acceptance and value.

In other words, he's written a brand new article that is simply repeating what everyone already know 5 years ago.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Would't you really rather have a Buick?

Well, not really. Unfortunately for us, the place where cars like the GTO, Firebird, G8 and Solstice fit in the marketing plan was Pontiac. Chevrolet has the Corvette, so a small format roadster doesn't really fit there either.

We're lucky we had it for awhile, hard to see it ever coming back.

·
Premium Member
17,529 Posts
My belief is that GM like any company that wants to continue to be relevant and make as much profit as they can, will continue to explore viable market niches as opportunities present themselves.

The Pontiac brand is no longer with us, but the market niches for the kinds of GOOD cars that Pontiac provided will always be with us. Unless Google and Apple take over the market and we no longer have cars but meerly transportation devices that take us to the market and home with our goods. Those that are not flown in directly by Amazon. Which by the way I am looking forward to instant gratification that aerial delivery will provide!

·
Registered
693 Posts
My belief is that GM like any company that wants to continue to be relevant and make as much profit as they can, will continue to explore viable market niches as opportunities present themselves.

The Pontiac brand is no longer with us, but the market niches for the kinds of GOOD cars that Pontiac provided will always be with us. Unless Google and Apple take over the market and we no longer have cars but meerly transportation devices that take us to the market and home with our goods. Those that are not flown in directly by Amazon. Which by the way I am looking forward to instant gratification that aerial delivery will provide!
sounds good to me.id like a 69 judge,a 2008 GXP coupe,and one of the newer GTOs too.make sure not to drop them from too high up.

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
I thought Rob might be talking about a hooker dropping in from the sky.

And by "sky" I mean the air above, not from the Saturn branded vehicle type thingy.

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
First off, Chickenwire, some of your comments kill me. :lol: I almost feel like I should pay an admission fee just to read them. Keep them coming.

Secondly, Didn't GM kill the Pontiac and other brands because the government said here's a big pile of money and by the way get rid of these self competing products within your own company. I know that's an over-simplification of the situation but that is what basically happened with the bail-out, right?

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Same "blog" has a link to a video of a guy taking a sledgehammer to a Ford F150 aluminum panel with no demonstration of a sledgehammer to a steel panel. (Which I'm pretty sure would crumple also.)

It used to be "opnions are like a$$holes, everybody has one." That became "websites are like a$$holes, everybody has one." It's now "every a$$hole has his own website."

All that being said, the author is right. GM killed Pontiac because it's other brands had higher market acceptance and value.

In other words, he's written a brand new article that is simply repeating what everyone already know 5 years ago.
:agree::agree:

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
First off, Chickenwire, some of your comments kill me. :lol: I almost feel like I should pay an admission fee just to read them. Keep them coming.

Secondly, Didn't GM kill the Pontiac and other brands because the government said here's a big pile of money and by the way get rid of these self competing products within your own company. I know that's an over-simplification of the situation but that is what basically happened with the bail-out, right?
Well, this a$$hole doesn't have his own website, so I'll share my opinion on the "bail out". It was a government managed bankruptcy, though our government will try to convince us otherwise. As in most bankruptcies, the manager has power to decide what assets to salvage and which will "go away". I believe in the case of GM it was an easy way for the company to do just what you said - get rid of it's own internal competition - without the union becoming upset. "Yes, we cut union jobs, but it was the 'big bad bankruptcy' that caused it, not us." That quote could be used by both GM and the U.S. government because GM needs those workers and the government needs those voters.

GM did this in the 90's by spinning off it's parts business into "Delphi" and Ford did it with "Visteon". Once those "separate companies" (which were continuously propped up with billions of dollars from their former "owners") struggled financially, they cut union jobs but GM and Ford could claim it wasn't their fault.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Not so fast guys…..GM still owns all Pontiac namesakes and logos. (Don’t ask me how I know….LOL). If you would have asked me 2 years ago if GM was going to some day bring back Pontiac, I would have posted yes (I had inside info…I worked for OnStar and seen the 2015/2016 potential model’s names)….but, with the massive ignition recall they have bled too much $$$ to bring them back anytime soon. Now there has still been rumblings through dealers and even some of my GM employed friends, but nobody can confirm since the big recall that there are still plans to move forward with a rebirth.

·
Premium Member
17,529 Posts
Yes Chick is funny. But he is plastic man . . .

I believe that one or more Pontiac cars will be for sale by GM sometime in the next 5 years.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Glad the author rehashed the main reason why Buick, and not Pontiac was kept. Which was that while in the US, Pontiac and Saturn alone had better sales than Buick, Buick had immensely better sales than the other two in China.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
It is all dollars and little sense.

They had Government Motors by the balls for screwing things up so incompetently and could dictate conditions for the bail out - and the conditions included which divisions they had to shut down. Which they then did.

Given that they retain rights to the brand name, they can pull it out whenever their advertising advisers tell them they should, so I agree with Ghost (and I've been saying this for the last 5 years) that there is a high probability of the name getting use again sooner or later. I also agree that the latest round of f*** ups probably means later rather than sooner.

Afraid I don't really understand the brand loyalty though. They are all just names to market cars under - it isn't like Pontiac was any different from Chev. They are names that are applied to whatever vehicles they see as suiting the image they try to create, and they are variable. Never figured we'd see Cadillac sporty cars, nor trucks....

I generally don't have much use for American cars of any sort except as beasts of burden (all but one of my tow cars has been American) but OTOH, all of the American cars I have owned that weren't just people haulers were Pontiacs. Guess that says that the image created for Pontiac was the closest to the sports car idiom I have always pursued. Good for them. Sad for any sporty car fans that it probably won't happen again. It took them 20 years and someone with the clout of Lutz to try another sports car.

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
Back in the 70's my basketball coach had a Chevy Jimmy. It had Chevy Blazer emblems on the right side and GMC Jimmy emblems on the left side.

True "way back when" Pontiac was it's own company and then "division", but the engineering gets grouped and eventually the mega-company is just putting different sheet metal and stickers on similar vehicles.

And yes, retaining ownership of the name, logos, etc. means GM can "whip it out" later and I suspect eventually we'll see it. (The Pontiac name, that is.)

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
Back in the 70's my basketball coach had a Chevy Jimmy. It had Chevy Blazer emblems on the right side and GMC Jimmy emblems on the left side.

True "way back when" Pontiac was it's own company and then "division", but the engineering gets grouped and eventually the mega-company is just putting different sheet metal and stickers on similar vehicles.

And yes, retaining ownership of the name, logos, etc. means GM can "whip it out" later and I suspect eventually we'll see it. (The Pontiac name, that is.)
At the same time that they moved to different sheet metal and stickers, they also went to common engines which served to further blur any differentiation between the divisions.

:(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts