Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many month has it been since there was anything of substance in the press about the Solstice? Is this normal for a new car release? Is there an intentional news blackout? When will the mags and blogs start having more "exclusive test drives"? It seems there was regular releases of information at the start of this year and then a six months drought. Shouldn't the PR people be trying to keep a buzz going? Maybe a picture from a test track. Maybe a picture with the top up. Maybe anything!!!

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Maybe the slow season before winter/spring car shows? Agree it's been slower than usual. A spy shot would perk things up.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
A couple reasons. First, its new release season. Automakers are currently trumpeting the new cars that are going on sale right now. GM is more concerned with hyping the G6, Cobalt, and other October releases than using up space in the press to showcase a vehicle that is many months from showrooms.

Second, we are on the verge of auto show season. By this point, any new news on upcoming vehicles is being withheld for announcement close to or at the auto shows where they can generate a lot of hype with the press and public, and not take away from hype regarding their current intros.

Finally, I think the Solstice has been a rather unusual vehicle development and production program, as far as public knowledge about it is concerned. Not only has it been a confirmed project for over a year and a half, we have seen the production example for that long. Most companies would not show it off with so much lead time, as development work continued. Then to have hand built test mules driven and reviewed by the press more than a year before pre-production cars will even role out of the factory is almost unheard of. Ford didn’t invite people to test the Mustang development a year ago and write it up for all to see. Corvette test mules were not in magazines a year ago. Heck, we didn’t know what it was officially going to look like a year ago, much less a year and a half.

No, the Solstice has been a somewhat unique concept to production vehicle. Maybe there just isn’t that much more info to give on it either, except final specs and details on options, colors, the top, etc.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Agree with all that F88 said, but they could throw us a little bone. A spy shot or two, maybe a little on options, colors, comments from designers and engineers on the project? I don't know, I guess I'm being a little selfish, they do have lots to do yet, and they have given us quite a bit early on, and I guess we'll live until show season, but still.... :banghead

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Found these at a spy shot website, which found them at autobild.de

Sources from inside say this is in Europe - that this is NOT one of the "England Mules", but yet another third mule. Apparently there was some big show that GM did somewhere in France around the same time as the paris auto show - GM sent one of these for "dynamic" evaluation along with some other GM vehicles. Must have been a show for the media - and this guy was lucky enough to drive one.

Don't know how long these pics will be available. And darn it - still no clear top-up pics.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Did some snooping around French racetracks, and found this pic:

http://www.europeancarweb.com/features/0306ec_paulricard/

From the Paul Ricard Racing Circuit near Marsielles, FRA. It's the only one I found with the characteristic sky-blue lines on the front straight. Maybe this is where they were?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
The 1st and 2nd image are really hilarious to me. For being a spy shot the guy seems to be posing for a picture, smiling and all :D

·
Registered
72 Posts
Looks like some body panel fitment issues?

Is that guy short-legged or is there room for storage behind the seat?

Looks like you should be able to drive with your elbow on the window just fine.

My .02 :thumbs

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
I suspect they are not so much spy photos as they are magazine photos that have not yet been published. Either that or I know at some press rides, no pictures at all are allowed, but these guys sometimes sneak a pic way off the beaten path, never intending to publish them.

Notice how the top pics are not really on the straight - they are way away from the pit entrance, and there's NO other cars or people in sight?

Yeh, the dude is short legged - there's not much other than maybe a map pocket behind the seat.

Notice the gaping hole where presumably the top mechanism or hinge comes through?

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
New pics are always great, but spy photos? GM has shown the vehicle a million times. There is no reason for them to sneak around or try to hide it anymore. Unless they wanted to hide the look of the top, and it was on the car, there would be no reason for them to try and use camo or sneak around. I doubt the spy photographers are really that concerned with snapping a Solstice at this point.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
solsticeman said:
Notice the gaping hole where presumably the top mechanism or hinge comes through?
Yeah I did. It looks like it could be a hand area almost for lifting the trunk. Because until now I've never seen a way to get your hand in there to lift up the trunk. Along with being the space for where the roof comes through.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Headlights

Is it just my imagination, or do the headlight covers seem to stick up above the fenders a little bit. They blend in smoothly on the concept and show cars, but seem to protrude on this car. Could be the angle or the color, though.

Also have to wonder whether the windshield frame is going to be body color or silver. I've always assumed that the windshield frame would be silver regardless of body color (ala Crossfire), but this one looks to match. Of course, since it's a mule, they could have just finished it as cheaply as possible.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Oh Thanks! I needed a little something new. This is just enough of an info fix to hold me over for another week or two! :cheers
If this isn't one of the mules for England, it sure seems to be a very close copy. But what's good is, it seems shows different views we haven't studied. It's definitely more recent because pictures of all those showed people in heavy coats. :cool
Those mules also had thrown together body panels and headlights that were just sort of stuck on and extended above the body. And writers said the seats were not much better than riding on an eggcrate and not adjustable. I'm not worried about it.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Apparently the Solstice was at the "Bay Area Catwalk At GM's findyourstyle Fashion Event" last night.

http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayServlet?target=http://image.emerald.gm.com/gmnews/viewpressreldetail.do?domain=2&docid=8811

Innovative, cutting-edge 2005 GM concept and production vehicles featured at the findyourstyle fashion event included the Chevrolet Corvette C6, Cadillac Escalade, Hummer H2 SUT, Saab 9.2x, Chevrolet SSR, Chevrolet SS, Saturn VUE, Chevrolet Nomad, Chevrolet Bel Air, Pontiac Solstice Convertible, Cadillac STS, Buick LaCrosse, Cadillac STS and Saturn Sky models.
If you go to http://www.findyourstyle.com/ you can register to go to the next event.
San Mateo County Expo Center
2495 South Delaware St.
San Mateo, CA 94403

Enter at Gate H

October 16 - October 17
Sat. & Sun. 9 AM - 5 PM

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Thank you so much for finding new pictures! Even though this car is obviously a hand made, banged out, rough test mule, there are some things I like about it.

1) notice the grills are recessed into the hood just a little bit, instead of being completely flush. I had always hoped they would do this. I just think it gives it a little more texture and intrest than the smooth bubble look. A minor thing, but I like it.

2) The headlight treatment. I haven't made up my mind about the "bug eye" look, but I could be persueded. I do kinda like it. However the big change I like is the blacking in and reducing the cheesy clear plastic bling bling look on the headlamp assembly. Never cared much for the smeared eyeball look on new cars, or the clear/chrome thing. Again, it's a minor point, and I could go either way, but I think I might actually like these lamps better.

3) Kinda like the wheels, still not what I wish I could have, but maybe I like these better than the prod. concept ones. Just a little. Very minor point.

Also shows those that hate the logo badging what it looks like naked. It looks like the side scoops are still there though. I ok with the badging though. Good work on locating the track photo in France. Looks very probable.

Again, thanks for the photos.

:cheers

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
O.K., I think the gaping hole is due to missing trim. The attached photos seem to make that case, anyway.

I'm not so sure if the grill is recessed, or just missing, but I too am not a fan of the plasticy honeycomb on the production model.

I do NOT like the rubber trim thing sticking out on the windshield surround. PLEEEZE let it just be something peculiar to the mules....

Thanks again for the new pics. Nothing like this for a pick me up!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts