Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First of all, I have nothing against the Sky. My question is at a time when GM is cutting back on divisions and vehicle overlap, why would they have their Saturn division build the Sky? Isn't it like Chevy and Pontiac competing against each other like they used to do with the Camero and the Firebird? Wouldn't it have been a better move to have the Sky built by Pontiac and since it is the stepped up version of the Solstice, market it as the Solstice GT or something similar? I still have a hard time understanding GM on this one. I used to own a Firebird at a time when you could buy the basic bird or the Trans AM. Both Firebirds had their own niche but never really competed directly against each other. One was just the tricked out version of the other. Isn't the Sky just the tricked out version of the Solstice? If any of you can shed some light on this I would really appreciate it. It just seems like a poor marketing decision at a time when too many poor decisions could spell disaster.

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
I guess for the same reason GMC makes the Yukon XL and Chevy makes the Burb. Not much difference, but folks love them both. In my opinion the Sky is alot edgier than the Sol and I wanted the Sol (would have waited for the 07, if needed). I dislike the front grill on the Sky and whatever those chrome strips are on the hood are. :willy:

PS
I knew you meant Sky. ;)

·
Registered
528 Posts
First of all it's called the Saturn "Sky" not Sly. The Saturn Sky is not a tricked out version of the Pontiac Solstice. The Solstice is a performance version of this new 2 seat roadster. The upcoming Saturn Sky is a slightly different version of the same roadster platform with a different look for a different appeal. Maybe when the engineers met and discuss the design of the new Solstice some of the them went off into their own camp thinking it needed a different set of lines.

And I know I'm risking a flame war on these next comments. The Pontiac Solstice is the muscle version of the car that appeals mostly to the male crowd. The Sky with is softer and longer lines has less testosterone in it's DNA.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
TerpFan said:
And I know I'm risking a flame war on these next comments. The Pontiac Solstice is the muscle version of the car that appeals mostly to the male crowd. The Sky with is softer and longer lines has less testosterone in it's DNA.
That interesting. I think the opposite. To me, the Sky looks more like a typical american muscle car than the Solstice. The Solstice has a more European look with the curves. The front and back end give it that sleek look. The front and back on the Sky are in your face with a rugged look.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Solstice more European, classic, will be pitched as more performance. Sky more agressive, angles, might appeal to younger crowd?, will be pitched as little more refined/luxury. JMO.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Ex-Miata Man said:
I used to own a Firebird at a time when you could buy the basic bird or the Trans AM. Both Firebirds had their own niche but never really competed directly against each other. One was just the tricked out version of the other. Isn't the Sky just the tricked out version of the Solstice? If any of you can shed some light on this I would really appreciate it. It just seems like a poor marketing decision at a time when too many poor decisions could spell disaster.
The higher performance, (probably) turbo charged version of the Solstice will arrives a few months after the Sky and will be comparable to the Trans Am. It will be called (possibly) a Solstice GTX.

But think Camaro and Firebird. Both were made on the same platform. Both came with either a V6 version or a V8. Both were sold under different brand names because each had it's own body lines. Except this time the difference between the two IMO is even more pronounced.

Back in the late sixties there was a Mustang & Cougar, Camaro & Firebird, Barracuda & Challenger. As all were called "Pony Cars", this pairing was referred to as "stable mates". Soon there'll be Solstice & Sky.Sort of a Druid Duo. :)

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
todd_raleigh said:
That interesting. I think the opposite. To me, the Sky looks more like a typical american muscle car than the Solstice. The Solstice has a more European look with the curves. The front and back end give it that sleek look. The front and back on the Sky are in your face with a rugged look.
IMHO: Sol = European, Sky = Japanese. It DEFINITELY takes design cues (front fascia) from Honda/Acura type cars.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
DreamerDave said:
Both were sold under different brand names because each had it's own body lines. Except this time the difference between the two IMO is even more pronounced.
Again IMHO: The Sol/Sky difference is less pronounced. I always looked at the Camaro and Firebird as two totally separate cars (that's when I was younger of course and didn't know they were the same). But even a child could point out that the Sol and Sky are the same car. I don't want this to get into another war over the design, but having pretty much IDENTICAL deck lids with the obvious 'standing out, attention getting' nacelles... the cars look far too similar! They TOTALLY changed the front for the Sky, why couldn't they have change the back more? It's like the Saturn design team was given only ONE day to change the look of the Sol for their own release. The front-end team showed up bright and early and got to work, and the back-end team were all late and only showed up for the last 45 minutes... it's like the taillights were all they got done and then they ran out of time.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
OK, Maybe it's literally how you look at the two of them parked side to side, from the front or from the rear. And I'll give you that the headrest nacelles are perhaps the most striking single design element of the Solstice. And by carrying a version of them over to the Sky didn't help differentiate the two. But it's the overall rounded curves look of the Solstice vs the edges and creases look of the Sly that impressed me.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
todd_raleigh said:
:agree: The Solstice has the more softer and rounded appearance, the Sky has the sharp creases and edgy styling, sort of like the Vettes from the 70's...

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
The sky is a North American (Franz "traitor" VonHolzhausen) interpretation of a Vauxhall-initiated concept car (the VX Lightning) which was based off the original 2002 Solstice Concept car platform (which didn't really exist at the time).

(side note - Dori, your ever changing avatars crack me up)

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Ex-Miata Man said:
First of all, I have nothing against the Sky. My question is at a time when GM is cutting back on divisions and vehicle overlap, why would they have their Saturn division build the Sky?
There were some posts a while back about the changes that GM was making within its brands. I coudn't find the specific one that I was looking for, but an article posted a while back from the Detroit news made reference to it ...
"GM is repositioning Saturn as a more upscale brand below Buick, leaving behind its past as a purveyor of plastic-clad compact cars. "

Also, here is a clip from a magazine interview with Lutz that Mceb posted a while back.

Bob Lutz said:
Saturn is a story in itself. It started off as a different kind of car company. That clearly didn’t work. The nice thing about Saturn is that Saturn has this enviable image for great customer relations. The trouble with Saturn was, we deliberately selected for Saturn a sort of facelessness in the literal sense. We decided they should have no face. We told ourselves, Saturn is for people who don’t really care about cars. They want a reliable vehicle. The problem with that is, I sort of wondered why Saturn attracted all of the rage. There was almost irrational dumping on Saturn. The whole concept of creating a car company without automotive appeal, where you’re selling an appliance, if that’s allowed to spread, what does that do to car magazines? You just hate a brand that’s not based on the love of the automobile. I digress. The thing with Saturn is you could... we asked ourselves… why do we have to pick between great cars and lousy dealers and great dealers and uninspired cars? What would happen if we put the two together? We wanted to draw people in from other brands, and that combination was the Saturn outlook… the Sky.
Here are the articles I referenced for those interested ...

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0505/19/A01-187008.htm
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3337

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Back to the original question: I think it's a very good strategy, because these two cars have different appeal, so they will actually increase the overall market for this platform.

·
2,574 Posts
mceb said:
Solstice more European, classic, will be pitched as more performance. Sky more agressive, angles, might appeal to younger crowd?, will be pitched as little more refined/luxury. JMO.

Anyone want to do a red vs blue state, road race vs. NASCAR thing (talk about flames :devil: )

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Why 2 roadsters? It's like ice cream. Not everyone likes the same flavor. Everyone has preferences. So it is with roadster styling. Not everyone likes the Solstice. In fact, it seems to me that it has a love it or hate it styling. So with the Sky, GM has a shot at keeping some of those roadster buyers who dislike the Sol, but who may like the Sky.

Also, they are not directly overlapping, since the Sky will have somewhat higher levels of equipment.

Finally, I think GM should get as many vehicles into Saturn dealers as possible, even if they overlap other divisions. Their dealers are near the top of the industry for customer service. I think Saturn could easily pick up buyers who simply tire of dealing with GM's traditional dealers.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts