Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why I HATE the Sol/Miata Comparisons. Thing's in all truth are NOT evenly matched up. miata has an advantage and people are forgetting that.

The thing I don't like about all these comparision is that "yes" the Miata has 15 more years of experience under their belt. And the 2006 Model was specifically designed to be just good enough, to make you question purchasing a Solstice. It is understandable that the Solstice will be a little shaky to start. I never expected an instant miracle.

I say give the Solstice 3-4 years, and then do a comparison.

My biggest complaint is they match up a 24K solstice with a 24K Miata. But what about the base Miata. For the extra 4K in the solstice only one option is a performance option(LSD). For the Miata almost all of it is upgrades in performance. If they were to compare the 20K base Solstice to the 21K base 2006 "club car" miata, the solstice would BLOW THAT MOTHER UP!!! There is no comparison. The Base miata, is a week little POS. But NOO!!!, they would never consider comparion "base models".

The Soltice ONLY has one model type, while the Miata has 5!!. Give the Pontiac 3-4 years, wait for them to work on putting together more model types (standard SE, GT, GXP) and let them work out the options a little better.

This is ONE fight that needs to wait for another day. It's like having a AA small college football team trying to play against a BIG 10 School. They actually may have a chance, but not right out of the gate. They need time to condition and prepare, and work. That's all.

Give the Solstice a few year to at least get the "Kappa" conditioned, molded, prepared and then lets see them due it out.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Liam1694u said:
The thing I don't like about all these comparision is that "yes" the Miata has 15 more years of experience under their belt.
The 2006 was a clean sheet of paper design same as the Solstice. Are you saying the the design engineers at a small company like Mazda are superior to those at the world's largest car company?

·
Registered
106 Posts
LBJay said:
The 2006 was a clean sheet of paper design same as the Solstice. Are you saying the the design engineers at a small company like Mazda are superior to those at the world's largest car company?
Small? Yer yankin' my chain, right?

Ford Family:
Lincoln
Mercury
Mazda
Volvo
Jaguar
Land Rover
Aston Martin

Note Mazda is the 3rd listed after Ford...

http://media.ford.com/

:willy:

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
There's nothing peculiar to the Solstice reviews - in fact, they may be more even handed than most of what you see.

In yesterday's Detroit News they printed the most rediculous comparison test between a Honda Ridgeline and Dodge Dakota. Apparently (its hard to tell because the writer conceals many of the details) they chose a group of people to compare several models of each vehicle - problem is, these people did not drive comparably priced/equipped vehicles. The Dakota's ranged in price from $18k to $34k and the Ridgeline's went from $28k to $35k. :willy:

I don't know about you - but when I'm looking for truck, there are two main considerations - Price and Function! If I'm looking for a new truck, and planning to spend $25k, a $35k truck is out of the question. Similarly, if I need a truck that can tow a 10,000-lb trailer - little V6's need not apply.

So this passes as automotive journalism: :cuss: Grab some mini-van driving soccer mom off the street, give her a fully loaded $35k Ridgeline to drive, then a stripped Dakota and ask which 'truck' you prefer? :leaving:

·
Registered
608 Posts
Liam1694u said:
My biggest complaint is they match up a 24K solstice with a 24K Miata. But what about the base Miata. For the extra 4K in the solstice only one option is a performance option(LSD). For the Miata almost all of it is upgrades in performance. If they were to compare the 20K base Solstice to the 21K base 2006 "club car" miata, the Solstice would BLOW THAT MOTHER UP!!! There is no comparison. The Base miata, is a week little POS. But NOO!!!, they would never consider comparion "base models".
I'll tell you why. Because the reveiwers are just like regular people, they don't want a tin can leader model. Features like AC, Power Windows, Cruise Control... people want this stuff. You're not going to find many Base Sols or Club Sports out there, most people don't want them.

When I priced out what I wanted in both cars (touring Miata - similar Solstice), Pontiac was about $500 bucks cheaper. Considering that I could get the Mazda $500 under MSRP already, they are about a wash price wise.

BTW, One model is an advantage as far as I'm concerned. Makes it easier to option exactly what you want.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Last year Mazda sold 187,678 cars in the US. Pontiac alone sold 474,179. So yes Mazda is a small company.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Just my humble opinion, but I think the 15 year advantage we keep talking about does get overplayed a little. Here is why. First, GM has a as much sports car experience as anybody with the Corvette, and they even dipped into that experience when they designed the Solstice's chassis. Sure the Corvette is a little bigger and has more cylinders, but similar principles apply when setting up the car for weight bias, handling, braking, etc. (that not to mention GM's other vast array of performance vehicles, anything from the Cadillac V series and XLR, to the Opel Speedster roadster).

Second, GM may have had an advantage over Mazda in that they were truly able to start from scratch. Mazda's Miata is a clean sheet design, but their 15 years of history meant that the car still had to meet certain, expected handling, performance, and appearance expectations. The Solstice needed to meet appearance expectations too, but GM could go anywhere it wanted (within budgeted reason) with the performance and handling.

So really, Mazda has been doing Miata's for a while, but that shouldn't be an excuse as to why GM wouldn't be able to make as competant of a performance car.

As for comparisons, I think it is fair to compare a Mazda with a handling package to the base Solstice. GM has confidently declared that the Sol's base suspension would be it's performance/handling suspension and therefore would not need and upgrade option. So essentially, the base Solstice should be compared to the Miata with that option.

In the end, from what I can see both of these cars are similar but not identical in how they ride and handle. That doesn't necessarily make one better or worse than the other overall. One may do something better than the other, and therefore may meet a particular buyers needs better than the other, but neither is "bad" because of that.

As for down the road, I don't think we can confidently make predictions on what will happen. We essentially know GM will be giving us a turbo Sol, and mazda has already announced they are working on a new Mazdaspeed Miata. Both are sure to be very competant performance cars, and like the base cars I suspect they will have some interesting differences too.

I say bring on the comparisons, and let people decide which is the best for their needs. I believe there is plenty of room on the market for both!

·
Registered
337 Posts
The Solstice is a drop dead classic. If a Miata came with 300 horses, seat warmers, and cornered on rails and was $10K less, I still would not buy it. I am sorry it is a girly car and it is cute. Like a guy at a stop light said the other day "what is that, it sure the hell ain't no little Miata". :cool:

·
Registered
91 Posts
I say a fight's a fight. Duke it out. Sucker punch, kick, gouge, bite, whatever. Saying the fight's not fair reminds me of middle school where some chump's friend would jump in if he was losing. This automotive competition will only bring us better cars in the end. :cool:

·
4,592 Posts
stang said:
Can't we all just get along? :lol:
Yeah, right, it's more likely the Republicans and Democrats would merge into one party :lol:

I'd like to see more getting along, it's kinda sad :(

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
stang said:
Can't we all just get along? :lol:

They are both great cars. :thumbs:
I think this IS getting along for auto enthusiats of competing nameplates. Look at the Camaro/Mustang rivalry! :glol:

·
Registered
763 Posts
I say if you want a solstice buy one if you want a miata go for it. Its a decision you shouldnt make on some journalist's opinion. I like the Sol. But one question, why are the 0-60 times so different in every review i have seen the sol go from 7.0-7.7 and the same for the miata. I think it all comes down to your driving style and your taste.

·
4,592 Posts
My guess, technique of launch, some from a dead stop, some from a rolling start. Usually the technique is listed inthe article. At least, that's what Ive been told. So, it's a good idea to only compare the numbers from the same day of testing.

I see the same range on the MSM, 6.2 to 6.7, I never know which one to use on the forum for that reason.

·
Registered
292 Posts
If everyone hates the Miata/Solstice comparison so much why the heck are there so many freakin' threads in this forum comparing the two cars. :lol:

Oh yeah. Is it Mazda's fault that it took GM 15 years to come up with an affordable roadster? You would think that 50+ years of building the Vette would give them an advantage in the roadster engineering. :devil:

·
5,600 Posts
IMHO, the 2006 Solstice and 2006 MX5 are a perfectly valid and natural comparison. They are similar cars competing in the same market at similar prices. They were made to be compared.

15 year heritage, my butt. Who cares? All is fair in love an war. Saying compare them in 4 years is like conceding that no-one should buy a Solstice for 4 years until it is competitive with the MX5. Ballderdash!

Do you think that when an NFL expansion team comes into being, they wait 4 years to compete for the Super Bowl? Nope, they have to struggle for years to get to the Super Bowl, but they are in competition with the other teams from day 1.

Well, the Solstice is in competition with cars in its market segment from day 1. It just so happens that there is no other competition BUT the MX5. Frankly, I think it competes niceley and is FAR SUPERIOR to the MX5 in GT capability while almost matching it as a pure sports car.

I'll take the Solstice anyday. There. I just compared them and the Solstice compares favorably.

·
5,600 Posts
mcbman said:
UGLY -vs- BEAUTIFUL

nuff said! ;)
:agree: Well said. That is the biggest factor for me. But even if the MX5 looked as good, it is not heavy enough for me, it is not as good of a GT car for extended travel and I don't feel like listening to the motor drone on at 4000 RPM for hours and hours on end.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts