Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To Who it May Concern......

I would first like to say I hope GM laedership reads this forum. The General and I have a long and bumpy relationship.I have always thought that GM cars were among the best around, even in the times when they really were crappy. I often defended my poor little Firebird when people called it a "belly button car" saying that the subtle differences between it and the camaro were easy to see, and the term "Generic Motors" was a bit overblown.

Here in Pontiac Country, we're used to being the red-headed stepchild. Since 1926 we've gotten parts from Chevy, Buick and the rest. Now we're getting cars from our Down-Under "cousins", and that's the way it is. Secretly we've wanted an exciting car all to ourselves. Now I hear about the "SKY".

I guess I'm a stick in the mud, but I won't be defending against taunts of "generic motors" for two cars. I can fight back in my Firebird by showing them my taillights, if you know what I mean. But all I wanted was a litttle car that was unique, and now that's gone. It's just like the Firebird/Camaro thing all over again. Frankly, it sucks. The fact that I would be compared to a saturn is repugnant.

I guess I'll just have to go out and get an old Fiero and build a turbo kit for it. It's the only car Pontiac ever had that nobody else had,too. If GM is serious about Pontiac being it's "action" division, they wouldn't give everybody else it's image car.

Oh, well. I know one sale doesn't mean much to them, they'll just find someone else that doesn't have the history to sell it to.

rant over :rant

·
Registered
397 Posts
Mustang, Capri, Cougar (in the 60s)

Cuda, Challenger

Corvette, XLR

Taurus, Sable

Crown Vic, Grand Marquis

Cavalier, Sunfire

Intrepid, Concorde, etc

Expedition, Navigator

Camry, ES300

Maxima, I30

MX6, Probe

Jag X type, Ford Mondeo/Contour!

Need I go on? This is just business, the vast majority of buyers do not know that many cars are the same under the skin. American companies seem to be more guilty of badge engineering than Japanese or European, but that is probably because large companies have so many divisions. It doesn't make any business sense to build different motors and chassis for different divisions. The only solution to this prob would be to kill off divisions such as Oldsmobile and Plymouth. Otherwise, there will continue to be platform sharing because they just cannot afford to make all the cars completely different.

The Sol and Sky seem different enough to me, the styling is quite a bit different and I am not sure which one I like more. The Sky will be more upscale while the Sol will be cheaper and more "bare bones" from my understanding. Drive it and then decide, or go buy a BMW for 15-20k more.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
SCCA HP Racer said:
The Sol and Sky seem different enough to me, the styling is quite a bit different and I am not sure which one I like more. The Sky will be more upscale while the Sol will be cheaper and more "bare bones" from my understanding.
:agree

I think GM did a decent job of giving Solstice & Skly different identities.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Sorry you feel this way.. You do have the ability to post your concerns on the gmblog, they have a running list right on the front page and not all are kind comments.

As to Camaro/Firebird similarities, yes they shared a lot but also differed in many respects. I have owned both. A 71 Camaro with a stovbolt six and 2 speed auto, which I am proud to say once dusted a 340 Duster at a redlight in the rain. And a 74 Firebird Esprit with a PONTIAC 350, unique to Pontiac, not a corporate engine. Always an extra quart of oil capacity than Camaros until they went to corporate engines which were probably Olds, anyway. There is nothing inherently wrong with sharing of basic chassis, powertrains, certain body panels, etc. If each brand did not have its own unique characteristics then there would be no need for more than two brands from the big 2 left in the US, Ford and Chevy. A Pontiac is not a Chevy is not a Buick is not a Saturn. Times past only badges made the difference on a few models, but SOLSTICEMAN, er I mean Bob Lutz has brought back to Pontiac its uniqueness and individuality that may have last been seen under the tuteledge of John Z Delorean.

The Sky, Solstice, Vauxhall (on which the Saturn styling is based) and Opel are 4 different vehicles when you get to the bottom of it, although they share over 80% of componentry. Sping rates are different on all. There will be subtle differences in the handling that will set them apart.

If manufacturers didn't share componentry within then the Mustang and original GTO would never have seen the light of day. What do you think the difference is between a Toyota Avalon and its Lexus counterpart beside the price? What's different other than engine and price between a Tourareg and a Cayenne? Side by side they look identical to me.

I sell tractors and I won't name the brand, but a recent merger between Case/IH and New Holland created the largest tractor manufacturer in the world. They sell identical tractors under two colors, because, there are people who bleed blue and people who bleed red.

·
Registered
270 Posts
re-animator, I hope you'll reconsider and at least drive both cars. I think you'll find both will have a different feel inherent to each vehicle. I'll wager with a bit of wind in your hair, a throaty exhaust note, and a few thumbs up from onlookers around you will go a long way towards possibly making you change your mind. Give the car a chance. For every person that says something negative about the car, there will be more that say 'I wish I had one of those...'

·
4,592 Posts
Funny, I've got a neighbor with plates that read "reanimator" here in So Cal, any relation?

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Welcome to the forum Re-animator! :thumbs

Thats an interesting complaint. GM certainly has done a bad job at disguising some cars in the past. Unfortunately, platform sharing is a reality of the auto industry. GM has been getting better at it in recent times, and I think the Sky and Sol are two of their better examples.

Both cars have completly different exteriors and interiors which should help them a lot. Some people will know they share platforms, but it certainly won't be as apparent as it was on some past cars.

I also don't think Pontiac has taken a back seat on this project. They are getting the Sol first, and the car has been tailored to be a performance version. If I were to compare it to the f-body's, I would say the Sol is most equivalent to the Camaro, while the Sky is more comparable to the Firebird. Still, these cars are a different animal.

Besides, if you like the car you should buy it! Don't let some friends ribbing you prevent you from buying a car you really like. They are just probably jealous. :cheers

·
Registered
126 Posts
Re-animator, I love your sentimentality over cars and brands :smile
Get the fiero....do your worst! (TURBO!!!) In a couple of years you'll see how the smoke settles with the Solstice...if it really is too much like the Sky...or whatever..by then you'll know if the Fiero is what you really luv..or if you need a second look at this new roadster called Solstice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts