Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot understand why Pontiac isn't concerned about all of the negative feelings that are being generated by keeping the "special" first 1k owners in the dark for so long.

If I understand correctly, if Solstice bombs, so does Pontiac. This car is suppossed to be their saving grace. If I where them, I would do everything in my power to negate any possible bad press at all. Especially when it is something so inexpensive as, desiminating information to those few, lucky, special, high visibility first 1K owners.

It was supposed to be a fun and exciting experience for these people, and now most of them are so pissed off by the lack of and mis information, that they won't be able to fully enjoy the car when they finnally get it.

A little common sense is in order. Anybody listening?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
It is ok to vent.........

HeadsUp said:
I cannot understand why Pontiac isn't concerned about all of the negative feelings that are being generated by keeping the "special" first 1k owners in the dark for so long.

If I understand correctly, if Solstice bombs, so does Pontiac. This car is suppossed to be their saving grace. If I where them, I would do everything in my power to negate any possible bad press at all. Especially when it is something so inexpensive as, desiminating information to those few, lucky, special, high visibility first 1K owners.

It was supposed to be a fun and exciting experience for these people, and now most of them are so pissed off by the lack of and mis information, that they won't be able to fully enjoy the car when they finnally get it.

A little common sense is in order. Anybody listening?
Relax, everything will be just fine! :lurk:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,532 Posts
HeadsUp said:
I cannot understand why Pontiac isn't concerned about all of the negative feelings that are being generated by keeping the "special" first 1k owners in the dark for so long.

If I understand correctly, if Solstice bombs, so does Pontiac. This car is suppossed to be their saving grace. If I where them, I would do everything in my power to negate any possible bad press at all. Especially when it is something so inexpensive as, desiminating information to those few, lucky, special, high visibility first 1K owners.

It was supposed to be a fun and exciting experience for these people, and now most of them are so pissed off by the lack of and mis information, that they won't be able to fully enjoy the car when they finnally get it.

A little common sense is in order. Anybody listening?
"If you can find a better car buy it."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
288 Posts
HeadsUp said:
It was supposed to be a fun and exciting experience for these people, and now most of them are so pissed off by the lack of and mis information, that they won't be able to fully enjoy the car when they finnally get it.

A little common sense is in order. Anybody listening?
Now that I have my car, I am fully enjoying it. If anything, the anticipation made it that much sweeter.

All is forgiven now!

Flagg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
SCISOLSTICE said:
"If you can find a better car buy it."
Depends on what you consider reliable. Mechanically.. I'd have to say not very - considering the amount of problems I've read with so few on the road. It is also useless in the snow and ice - and a brand new car shouldn't have visual flaws such as severe wrinkles in the convertible top.

You can get a lot for 25K... including an almost new 350Z.. Boxter.. S2000.. Audi TT.. Z4..... and I could go on. A one year old car with 10,000 miles is practially the same as a new one.. and without the new car quirks, runarounds and terrible communication from Pontiac.

So reading "if you can find a better car buy it" is getting a tad old.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,532 Posts
lupado said:
Depends on what you consider reliable. Mechanically.. I'd have to say not very - considering the amount of problems I've read with so few on the road. It is also useless in the snow and ice - and a brand new car shouldn't have visual flaws such as severe wrinkles in the convertible top.

You can get a lot for 25K... including an almost new 350Z.. Boxter.. S2000.. Audi TT.. Z4..... and I could go on. A one year old car with 10,000 miles is practially the same as a new one.. and without the new car quirks, runarounds and terrible communication from Pontiac.

So reading "if you can find a better car buy it" is getting a tad old.
"If you can find a better car buy it." So buy a car you like.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,509 Posts
Haven't you heard? They have orders for 17,000+ cars. What's a measly few ticked off people to GM? :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
233 Posts
LBJay said:
Haven't you heard? They have orders for 17,000+ cars. What's a measly few ticked off people to GM? :rolleyes:
But that isn't any way to run a business.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,509 Posts
mssleepr said:
But that isn't any way to run a business.....
Sorry, but there is no smiley for sarcasms to put at the end of my post.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
LBJay said:
Haven't you heard? They have orders for 17,000+ cars. What's a measly few ticked off people to GM? :rolleyes:
Yeah.. well.. wait another year or two for more solstice clones to come out.. then the excitement will quickly vanish.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
From what I gathered from the forums. The F1K's were guinea pigs/beta versions. All the rest of the cars are considered "Release versions". There was the mini-recall affecting most of the F1k which delayed most of them for a month or two. I haven't heard of any problems with the ZZ, FM and regular production. The ZZ, FM's are currently on the trains being shipped. I've even heard that regular production cars are currently being shipped. (BTW this is what I've read on the forums. I do not know this information to be fact.)

Basically Pontiac worked out the kinks in assembly/production on the F1K's. Now they've got things worked out (so far) and things appear to be going smoothly. Build em, park em in the yard, ship em out as soon as you get a full load to where ever.

Besides, F1K owners are like pregnant women. The waiting REALLY sucks, but as soon as they get their hands on the new bundle of joy, everything is forgotten.

The average customer isn't quite as rabid as the F1K owners. They don't feel the need to know the exact location of the car at any moment in time.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,206 Posts
lupado said:
It is also useless in the snow and ice - ..
Upon what experience are you basing your judgement?

I have actually driven a Solstice in the snow. Have you?

While it's not going to be an off roader, it will drive fine in snow that will leave a BMW Z4 with all its fancy handling electronics or an NB Miata stranded. I've been in up to about 1-1/2 inches of snow and never felt like I was going to be in trouble.

On stock tires.

Granted, I would not likely try to get somewhere in a blizzard, but normal winter driving should be just fine in the Solstice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,509 Posts
solsticeman said:
Granted, I would not likely try to get somewhere in a blizzard, but normal winter driving should be just fine in the Solstice.
As long as there is not more than 3.6" of snow on the roads. :devil:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,206 Posts
LBJay said:
As long as there is not more than 3.6" of snow on the roads. :devil:
Having spent most of my life in this state, a good chunk of it in western, lake-effect MI, the actual days of 3.6" of snow are somewhat rare.

It's pretty easy. If you drove your Solstice in, and there's an inch of snow by 9:00 AM, leave work immediately and get home, and drive your other car back in.

1-2 inch per hour snowstorms are fairly predictable in many regions. If you hear of a significant snowfall tommorrow, just don't drive your Solstice in.

MI is rather efficient at snow removal, at least my experience has been so. The days where the major roads have more than 2" of snow on them is, again, a rare and 80% predictable event.

Unlike my friend, who owns a 2000 Miata. In 2002, he drove into work (45 minutes one way) in the morning. At the end of the day, a mere 2" of snow in the parking lot and he got stuck. Turns out that the place he worked didn't have time to get to the parking lot cleared. Took several people pushing his car through the lot (just no purchase - summer-only tires OEM) until he got to an access road that had been plowed. Only to promptly get stuck in his own driveway, because the company that he hired to plow had not yet gotten to his house.

I am certain that a Solstice would have had no problems with the same situation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
HeadsUp said:
I cannot understand why Pontiac isn't concerned about all of the negative feelings that are being generated by keeping the "special" first 1k owners in the dark for so long.

If I understand correctly, if Solstice bombs, so does Pontiac. This car is suppossed to be their saving grace. If I where them, I would do everything in my power to negate any possible bad press at all. Especially when it is something so inexpensive as, desiminating information to those few, lucky, special, high visibility first 1K owners.

It was supposed to be a fun and exciting experience for these people, and now most of them are so pissed off by the lack of and mis information, that they won't be able to fully enjoy the car when they finnally get it.

A little common sense is in order. Anybody listening?
:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:

And to everyone, It's okay to love the Solstice and not GM. You are not a bad American or a Solstice hater for saying that GM blew it. Seems like people tend to get the two confused.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,691 Posts
I agree that the car will handle snow, ice, rain well, esp. if you got the lsd and abs. Certainly it will handle severe condition (up to the point of ground clearance) tons better than any ordinary front engine rwd with a 60/40 or 70/30 weight bias. A full 50% of the Solstice weight is on the driving wheels. Not so on a '69 Caddy. Don't compare wet weather in a Sol with fwd cars. Just don't ;) I'll come after you and it won't be pretty. And as far as mechanical issues, Lupado, I don't recall reading about any drivetrain mechanical problems at all. One mechanical failure on a top mechanizim and other issues are all fit and finish or transit damage. If the cars get used for bumpercars before arrival that has nothing to do with GM's productio of it. Maybe if the cars are being bumped it is because for all the Saturns that previously left this plant you could play 3 mph bumpercar and the plastic panels would never tell on you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
solsticeman said:
... It's pretty easy. If you drove your Solstice in, and there's an inch of snow by 9:00 AM, leave work immediately and get home, and drive your other car back in.

1-2 inch per hour snowstorms are fairly predictable in many regions. If you hear of a significant snowfall tommorrow, just don't drive your Solstice in. ...

Unlike my friend, who owns a 2000 Miata. In 2002, he drove into work (45 minutes one way) in the morning. At the end of the day, a mere 2" of snow in the parking lot and he got stuck. Turns out that the place he worked didn't have time to get to the parking lot cleared. Took several people pushing his car through the lot (just no purchase - summer-only tires OEM) until he got to an access road that had been plowed. Only to promptly get stuck in his own driveway, because the company that he hired to plow had not yet gotten to his house.

I am certain that a Solstice would have had no problems with the same situation.
Actually, if you know anything about tires, Miatas can do quite well in the snow. However, no car will do well in the snow with performance summer tires ... duh! I've had a Miata as a daily driver for 10 years and most of that time it was my only car. Never missed a day of work 'cause of snow. Hurricanes are another story, however.
 
1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Top