Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GM held a big press event for the Solstice weeks ago and so far not one mention in any newspaper or magazine (online or print) that I can find.

Mazda had a weekend one for the new MX-5 and by Monday there were press "first drive" reports all over the place.

What gives? :skep:

·
Registered
905 Posts
Next month's car magazines should have a front cover story.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
I think they are on embargo still. That was a long-lead press event for magazines that need a month or more to put their stories together.

Not sure when/if there is a short-lead event for web, newspapers etc.

·
5,641 Posts
LBJay said:
GM held a big press event for the Solstice weeks ago and so far not one mention in any newspaper or magazine (online or print) that I can find.

Mazda had a weekend one for the new MX-5 and by Monday there were press "first drive" reports all over the place.

What gives? :skep:
The press event was Pontiac's Long Lead press event for monthly magazines-etc. with deadlines a long time before publishing. Pontiac/GM then usually uses an embargo on such infomation until a certain date.

They will be holding a upcoming (September) Short Lead press event which would include newspapers, radio and internet sources. Then the stories will flow.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Small Dealer said:
then usually uses an embargo on such infomation until a certain date.

They will be holding a upcoming (September) Short Lead press event which would include newspapers, radio and internet sources. Then the stories will flow.
Embargo???? Embargo what? Not like anything's a secret. (hopefully)

I've seen news embargos on info for new cars that were to debut at major shows. But on cars that are being delivered? Never...

September? Hundreds of cars should be already be in owners hands by then..

Doesn't make sense to me... :confused:

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Maybe it's not so much about anything secret but just to sync up the short-lead pubs and the long-lead one so they all publish around same time?

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
LBJay said:
Embargo???? Embargo what? Not like anything's a secret. (hopefully)

I've seen news embargos on info for new cars that were to debut at major shows. But on cars that are being delivered? Never...

September? Hundreds of cars should be already be in owners hands by then..

Doesn't make sense to me... :confused:
I am sure there are many reasons for the embargo, one of which is to get the magazines to all publish about the same time to match GM's own marketing campaign for the car. However, on this car there is no reason for a ton of pre-launch hype anyway. GM has the first 9000 already sold, so they don't really need to convince more buyers to walk in.

If they hype the car too soon, it can also be detrimental. On the Cobalt SS, they had the embargo end I believe at the beginning of December, so all the January issues of magazines had reviews of the cars. However, they didn't get any SS's to dealers for another 4 months. :eek: They created the excitement, had people going to dealers, and couldn't get them into a car.

They are doing the same thing with the G6 GTP coupes. They have been on lots about 2 weeks already (I have even driven one) and there has been no advertising or reviews out yet. I assume they were part of the Pontiac long lead last month too (although I am not certain, maybe they had their own?). Anyway, you can go buy a car now, but nobody knows about it yet. In a way that is good, because it allows GM to build up some inventory of the car on lots, so when they do advertise and get people coming in to look at one, they have a few choices to offer them.

·
Registered
472 Posts
mceb said:
Maybe it's not so much about anything secret but just to sync up the short-lead pubs and the long-lead one so they all publish around same time?
Yes, the Head GM guys in Portland told us that Sept 1 was the release date and the reason was so that everything could come out at the same time.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Already received the September Road and Track and nothing mentioned. Must be coming in the October or later issue. More waiting.

·
Registered
167 Posts
mikefred1952 said:
Already received the September Road and Track and nothing mentioned. Must be coming in the October or later issue. More waiting.
The MX-5 is on the cover of September issue of Motor Trend.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Wailing Phoenix said:
And the September issue of Car and Driver and not a word about Solstice anywhere. :cryin:
spyderone said:
The MX-5 is on the cover of September issue of Motor Trend.
Well what's the verdict by these 2 mags?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Motor Trend Cover

C&D said they thought it "felt" as fast as an MSM and they are estimating 6.7 seconds to 60mph with a 15.2 1/4 mile.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
LBJay said:

Motor Trend Cover

C&D said they thought it "felt" as fast as an MSM and they are estimating 6.7 seconds to 60mph with a 15.2 1/4 mile.
Ahem.
yah, right...

...oops, did I post that in public?

Oh, well... what can I say... not much, since I haven't OFFICIALLY driven an NC 2006 MX5 with DSC and 6-speed manual transmission, Bose (TM) stereo system, and four cupholders :rolleyes: ;) :D

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
solsticeman said:
Oh, well... what can I say... not much, since I haven't OFFICIALLY driven an NC 2006 MX5 with DSC and 6-speed manual transmission, Bose (TM) stereo system, and four cupholders :rolleyes: ;) :D
Have you unofficially driven one?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
As foreign as it sounds, they really don't have to post an embargo date to coincide with when they actually have unsold Solstices in the showroom. Remember, the Solstices original stated purpose is to be a halo car meant to entice people into the showroom where they can be "encouraged" to buy one of the other models in the GM line. There's a motive to just heighten curiosity, not actually sell Solstices.

I can see it now, "Yes sir, it really is a sharp looking little car. Wish we had one in stock. But with just two seats and next to no real trunk, I bet you'd be a lot happier in this G6 that's just a little more and almost as sporty. And you and the Mrs. can drive one home today instead of waiting who knows how long. Here, just fill out the top of this form and we'll get the ball rolling."

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
mceb said:
Have you unofficially driven one?
One what? :)

How can I unofficially drive anything?

I've only said I have a lot of contacts in the automotive industry - heck, I could be a writer for a car mag ;)

·
Registered
227 Posts
So...are we going to take a poll on whether you'll get the magazine article in Road & Track or Car & Driver with the Solstice on the cover.....before you get the car?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts