Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife has a coupe and been complaining about getting shooting nerve pain from butt down back of leg when driving. Gets real bad after 30 mins. I read where some here suggested taking out wallet, etc. So before a 9 hour drive she needed to make, I suggested she try a pillow on the trip. She did and it worked great. No issues. So my question is, before I remove seats to inspect, have any of y'all added any padding to the seats and if so, where, type, etc.

My wife's ass will be eternally greatful for any assistance in the matter. No wise ass 'cracks' please........this is serious.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I have installed seat heaters into my seats, and to be honest, these seats never came with much padding to begin with, but I don't seem to mind. In fact, I often get tail bone pain in many other cars during road trips (got spoiled growing up on Volvo seats I guess . . . best seats in the biz for the longest time), but have never had an issue with mine.

Anyways, while installing seat heaters, many others have added more foam, or replaced/repaired damaged foam.

The following links should give you the information you'll need to take care of this.

Seat Upgrades - Foam and Heaters - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Fix the saggy seat! some DIY from JPM - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum

And I'm one of those people that doesn't wear a wallet while driving (find it annoying/uncomfortable like many others).

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
I put 1" foam inserts under both of ours and raised the front 1/4" with spacers.

Added a JPM lumbar support on the passenger side.

Good Luck :thumbs:

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
I'd also thought about the JPM 'saggy seat' fix, but using a slice of memory foam. Not done anything about it yet though. Hmmm.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Have her mess with the seating position depending on the way she's sitting she could be pinching a nerve causing that sensation. I had that happen to me before in my old Camry it was really bad I went to the dr and he said it could be 3 possible things, pants too tight, belt too tight or seating position was awkward and during my drive to work (~50 minutes) Half way thru it would start happening if I took my dads car (Honda) it was gone and all was fine the Camry was old an had almost no padding and the Honda was new, so maybe adding padding might help since it helped when you put the pillow, just add enough to raise her body position, she might be kinda bent in at the hip sorta like this while driving > so try to have her straighten up while driving like an L instead of less than < get what I mean?

TL;DR add padding, bye-bye pain, had past experience with the same thing :thumbs:

·
Super Moderator
7,545 Posts
John has a good point about looking at seating position. The Kappa seats are designed differently than most sedan seats in that they are bucket-shaped, like a racing seat, instead of flat. The intention is to keep you in the seat better during spirited driving.

I have the best result with the seat itself further forward than in other cars so that my knees are bent a bit more. This puts my butt down in the "bucket" and takes the pressure off of my thighs. The seat back is then tilted back to match arm position to the steering wheel.

This approach obviously won't work if you don't like the "lay down and drive" position, but I think it is most consistent with what seems to be the design intent of the seats. If you (or she) prefer an upright seating position you will pretty much have to add foam to the center to make the seating surface flatter. In this case, most of the thickness should be as firm as you can find to minimize the amount that you sink into it.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That was the first thing I told her to try but no luck. I have the heated seat kit waiting to install and was wanting to do it all at once. I'll look at the link above.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
When you take the seat out: Inspect the foam and the spring package underneath carefully. My drivers side had a foam failure after one year. Service replaced under warranty. I had another foam failure a year later and they would no longer replace under warranty. So I ordered a new foam and cover myself, to do the repair.

When I took the seat apart and removed the foam. I discovered one of the spring retainer rods was slid out of position. This was allowing the foam on that side of the seat to squish down below the spring bottom level and caused the foam to fail prematurely. It was also causing an abnormal sitting position which was uncomfortable. Ironically, I am pretty sure it came that way from the factory, so I didn't know any better. I knew something was wrong when my wife drove my car one day (she has a Sky also) and commented that my seat sucked. :lol:

So not only did it probably come from the factory that way: But service changed the foam out and didn't pay any attention to the problem with the spring cushion underneath. So I had to figure it out myself and make the correct repair. :brentil: And it did indeed make all the difference in the world.

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
I put 1" foam inserts under both of ours and raised the front 1/4" with spacers.

Added a JPM lumbar support on the passenger side.

Good Luck :thumbs:
When I installed (stuck) the 1" foam into the bottom of the seats, I put (zip tied) a flat thin piece of plastic between the foam and the seat springs to keep the foam from migrating below. The plastic I used was some 'cheapie' cutting boards from the dollar store. This was the second Solstice I did this mod on, and its working fine for us ....YMMV

Good Luck!

:cool:

·
Registered
746 Posts
Thankfully, I remembered this thread!

I have been having hip and knee pains on my right side that are from out of the blue and disappear when I drive the '07.

3 events have conspired against me this winter- the '07 hasn't seen much road time due to weather conditions; the '06 has over 146,000 miles on it; and I have realized that I am sitting lower than ever before (or the mirrors have mysteriously been tilting themselves upward at night!). I am going to pull the seat out on Monday and expect (hope)to find foam degradation so I am leaning toward SolNut's cure of supporting the foam rather than adding more to the top side.

I was beginning to dread the trip to Flagstaff!

·
Super Moderator
16,396 Posts
One thing to consider is you can change the angle of the seat bottom by using spacers below the seat rails. Having had the seats out of the car, it's pretty easy to remove the nuts holding the seat to the floor and put some spacers under the rear tie points to increase the angle of the seat a big.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Wife has a coupe and been complaining about getting shooting nerve pain from butt down back of leg when driving. Gets real bad after 30 mins. I read where some here suggested taking out wallet, etc. So before a 9 hour drive she needed to make, I suggested she try a pillow on the trip. She did and it worked great. No issues.
I am having the same sciatic issue, even taking the same 30 miutes to kick in...:(

Please elaborate a bit about the pillow she used.

Size/shape?

Sat on the pillow or placed it behind her back?

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
I have been having hip and knee pains on my right side that are from out of the blue and disappear when I drive the '07.

3 events have conspired against me this winter- the '07 hasn't seen much road time due to weather conditions; the '06 has over 146,000 miles on it; and I have realized that I am sitting lower than ever before (or the mirrors have mysteriously been tilting themselves upward at night!). I am going to pull the seat out on Monday and expect (hope)to find foam degradation so I am leaning toward SolNut's cure of supporting the foam rather than adding more to the top side.

I was beginning to dread the trip to Flagstaff!
John, the 1" foam that I put under the seat bottom was some pretty firm stuff. (Pink from the Car Upholstery shop) And the plastic sheets were 'cutting boards' from the Dollar Store as I said. The zip ties keep them from moving around.
Almost 40K miles and they are still working. :thumbs:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts