Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have an opportunity to pick up an '86 Fiero GT for nothing. The motor is bad. Body is in decent shape and hardly any rust on the frame. Its a friend that just wants it gone. The only way I would take it is if I could put a 2.0L...be it a LNF, LDK, LTG, etc... Would really like to do the later iteration as they're e85 compatible so a lot more hp out of it.

My question....is it feasible easily do this??? Or is this going to be something I'll get and then have to make my own adapters, etc.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
I don't know but some have put V8s in Fieros so I don't see why it wouldn't fit.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I knownof the V8s. And a guy I work with is putting a V8 in his. Was just thinking 300hp out of a light weight 4cyl would be just as good as an LS V8 back there...amd it would balance it a bit better too. The Fieros cruised with us on our final cruise last year and couldn't keep up...hahaha

·
Registered
338 Posts
...is it feasible easily do this??? Or is this going to be something I'll get and then have to make my own adapters, etc.
"Easily" will depend greatly on who is doing the work.

It will not bolt in lol.

You - or someone you pay - will have to make lots of adapters and custom parts. Gearbox plates, clutch/spline/flywheel adapters, engine mounts, intake, exhaust, intercooler mounts and piping, reservoir brackets, wiring harness slices, etc, etc, etc. Then you may or may not need to get all that painted or powder coated.

In other words, all the exact same things that any engine swap needs. The fact that it is going into a Fiero is irrelevant.

Also, an LNF or similar probably doesn't save as much weight or space as you might think over an all aluminum LS motor once you factor in all the ancillaries.

·
Registered
269 Posts
The fact that it is going into a Fiero is irrelevant.
Not entirely. The Fiero is mid-engine transverse mount. So there no reasonable way to intercool the turbo as well, and puzzling out the transmission would be...something.

It would be a lot easier to retrofit into a front engine body.

·
Premium Member
3,744 Posts
Open up your wallet,make sure you have a competent fabricator ,machinist ,and electrical guru on board ,have a lot of time and patience and realize that the car will be worth nowhere what you put into it then go for it !

·
Registered
338 Posts
Not entirely. The Fiero is mid-engine transverse mount. So there no reasonable way to intercool the turbo as well, and puzzling out the transmission would be...something.
But the ecotec is made for transverse applications already, and lots of mid-engine sports cars run turbos.

Prior to owning my solstice I built a factory five 818. It used a Subaru Impreza engine mounted in a mid-engine configuration. Was not a big deal. Popular intercooler solutions were to run the stock TMIC with some ducting, relocate an aftermarket air/air IC better into an airstream, or switch to a remote mount air/water IC.

It's a trivial task relative to the rest of the project.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The supercharged lsj might be easier. The heat from the intake gets removed by the laminova cores and gets sent to an air to water heat exchanger. Between stock (cobaltss, ion redline) and aftermarket (zzp, ddm etc) parts and some welding skills you should be able to put together an intake that will work with the stock laminova cores and any of a number of heat exchangers. This would likely be easier that finding someplace to run piping for turbos and air to air heat exchangers.

If you need more power than the m62 provides there are a number of other superchargers that bolted up to the stock lsj intake and already have tuning solutions. The most popular for those that were looking for high power was the tvs. For those that have never driven a supercharged car the torque hits completely different from a turbo. While down on horsepower when compared to the lnf a stage 2 supercharged cobalt gives instant power at very low rpm.
Here is a comparison between a tvs cobalt and a lnf and another between a pulleyed m62 on e85 and tuned lnf. Keep in mind that the lnf in cobalts typically dyno higher than they do in our cars

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
It has been done but is not a simple bolt in. The point about where to place an intercooler if you went for the turbo version is a good one -some install them in the trunk but then you no longer have much storage space (the front trunk is very small). LE5 would be much easier. Or if you want more power, maybe an LSJ with supercharger.

BTW, the handling and braking on the pre 1988 cars has some significant shortcomings. I owned both at the same time so have first hand experience of the differences.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know prior to my divorce, my father-in-law and I were working on a project car for me to go drag racing with him on the weekends. We had the donor body Fiero and had just found an SC3800 motor. And then his daughter and I were seperated. His best friend was an awesome fabricator as was he. As chop stated, I would probably use a FWD version of the LNF....or the Regal version LDK (or whatever version it is).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts